Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Thought so, as the paddle does not look so big on other models i saw in Currys or on the manual for the Panny on page 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I eventually got one of these last week after all the recommendations here. I've made four basic white loaves, each one turned out perfect but all I used was odlums cream flour as haven't had a chance to get that "strong" flour.

Anyway, the bread looks, smells and tastes great. And it is *too* easy to make... seriously, we've a new new found love of bread here.

The wee little slit in the middle bottom of the pan from the paddle .... :confused: ... doesn't even warrant a mention IMO!

Got ours today. First pan is in progress (50/50 whole wheat/white). I think the measuring cup supplied is off a bit. Just as easy to weigh the water anyway.

Soooooooo So easy to make. No bowls, no nothing so no mess.

Put the loaf tin on scales. Zeroed it after adding each ingredient. Put pan in b.maker. Plug in. Click Click Click (select, option, size). Click Start. Five hours later a XL pan of 50/50 mouthwatering bread (white takes 4 hours). Perfect.

Preparation time 5 mins (after familiarity could be done in 2 mins or less). As dizzy & franco says, the paddle only makes a wee slit on the bottom of the pan. Pan is cleaned in one minute.

Recipe (as per manual)

Put in these ingredients in the order given (XL 50% Wholemeal loaf)

1.25 tsp yeast (there is .25 tsp marks on the spoon given)
    275g strong wholemeal flour
    275g strong white flour
    2 tsp sugar
    25g butter
    1.5 tsp salt
    380ml water (380g by weight)

IMO the reason some people have problems is the do not stick thoroughly to the measurements and/or thy are using the wrong type or low quality flour. For the above I used Odlums

• Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My dad wants a breadmaker for the house. Frankly he's fed up of traditional Yankee bread: I can only surmise they use more water in their dough. Either way it leads to Airy, empty fluff, and we miss the good bread - the Irish bread.

I'd advised him some places do good bread - like walmart even, but he's gotten the idea in his head that he wants to make his own bread so I am on the hunt for a maker for him.

Does anyone here have any experiences when it comes to breadmakers? Any brands to stay away from, brands to look for? Good recipes? Horror stories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I'd been looking at them before, and got great recommendations for a Panasonic (SD255 I think was the model number). In the end I decided to go with a mixer (and I'm glad i did), which is a bit more flexible, and a bit more work especially with proving and that, but that means I can't recommend a breadmaker. (What am I doing posting then?):rolleyes:

Also, beating up yeast bread dough is good fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

I can highly recommend this lovely recipe
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/winterfood/1076913.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here's a recent thread about the wonders of the bread machine, mostly the Panasonic SD255
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352502

I bought one last month and I used it all the time.
    I can't tell you how great it is :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

• Advertisement

Have ours two weeks tomorrow. Haven't bought bread since.

Besides the basic, have made 50/50 wholemeal, Spicey fruit (cinnamon+), and french.

I love the french recipe bread. so light and crispy. (1 tsp yeast, 400g flour, 1 tsp salt, 200 ml water). It does take 6 hours due to the longer proving time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always set the timer to have a french loaf ready for Saturday's lunch :)

I've made the 5 seeded bread and it's lovely - Dunne's sell a 5 seed mix which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I finally got around to getting some fresh yeast. A much nicer tasting and better texture bread. I recommend people try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Will recipes from one brand of breadmaker work in another, does anybody know?

I don't have a Panasonic but like the recipes on their site, in the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks I'll recommend him a panasonic.

00112984 wrote: »

I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

00112984 wrote: »

I don't have a Panasonic but like the recipes on their site, in the manual.
    For the most part they would but I'd be careful of the loaf size though as some of those recipes might be more than your machine can handle (eg, if the recipe is for a 2lb machine and yours is a 1.5). There are a few generic Bread Machine books that have some good recipes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

after reading this thread i will probably buy the Panasonic SD 255.
    a question before i do though is can you bake it without yeast, like with sodium bicarbonate or something, i cant eat yeast hence why i am asking before i buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't think so ... one of the main reasons for having a bread machine is to automate all the lengthy proving and kneading phases that AFAIK you don't have with soda type breads, so there wouldn't really be any advantage. There's no soda bread program on my machine (the older SD-253). The only thing you' could conceivably use it for would be solely the baking phase, and, unless you don't have a normal oven, that woud be a bit of a waste of money I think.

oh ok, thanks!
    i have a longing for a big crusty slice of toast! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I have the SD 255, and you can make chemically leavened/quick breads in it. In the booklet it has recipes for various tea breads (apple & ginger, banana bread, fruit loaf, etc.), soda bread, and a yeast & dairy free spelt bread.

But there's only a handful of recipes for these types, and all it uses is the "bake only" function (no mixing, kneading, or proofing), so as Alun said, no point wasting your money on it.

If you're looking for a really excellent bread recipe for toasting, try this Guinness & Walnut Bread. It's slightly sweet, nice molasses taste from the black treacle, nutty, and just plain gorgeous. That recipe makes about three 2lb. loaves, and they freeze well (not that it'll last that long)

thanks for the advice, i will definitely not buy one now, no point!
    i made bread last night myself and it only took about 10 minutes to prepare so it would be a waste!
    thanks again.
    i will try out that guiness & walnut bread magic monkey, it sounds lovely!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Any breadmaker I have used has been fine, what aspects are bad about a bad one? My one is fantastic, got a few years ago for about 25e whereas my gfs much more expensive one does exactly the same stuff. Love making pizza dough with these. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Hi I bought a Breville bread maker just yesterday and made a loaf last night. I stuck to the recipe although it asked for 'Strong white flour' and all I had was ordinary plain flour. Is there a big difference?

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the result. It was only ok bread - not delicious. I've definitely had nicer from the shop :(

Is it just because of the flour???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tupins wrote: »
    Is it just because of the flour???
    That will certainly have had an effect, yes. 'Strong' bread flour has more gluten in it which is effectively what gives bread its structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

Lidl are now selling a Bifinett breadmake now. only €40. I think I might invest. No more sticky fingers :) I always thought a bread machine was 'cheating' but now after reading this i'm really looking forward to using it. Any recommened websites with good recipes?

Any recommened websites with good recipes?

With breadmakers it's vitally important to stick to the quantities and even the order in which you put the ingredients into the pan. There will be a recipe book with your machine and once you get used to making the bread you'll be able to adapt other recipes. I have a Panasonic machine and there are so many recipes in the book that I haven't needed to look for more.

I still feel like I'm cheating, lol, because it's so easy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Bought my SD 255 today. Just a question about yeast. All i could find was Mc Doughalls Fast Action bread yeast, its in 7 gm sachets. Is there a conversion chart for working out was 7g is in relation to dried yeast. Is 7g= 1 teaspoon?

There are usually 2 teaspoons of yeast in each 7g sachet. The recipes that come with the SD255 use a teaspoon measure rather than weight for yeast.
    I usually fold over the sachet a few times then stick it with sellotape to keep what's left over for next time, otherwise you'd be throwing out yeast all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Just a tip with yeast. I've been using Doves Farm yeast. It comes in a little orange foil pack and it lasts for ages. I just keep it in the fridge. The pack is €1.35 in Evergreen in Galway though I'm sure it's available in lots of health food shops. Works out way cheaper than the McDougalls stuff!

Advertisement