Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1000 I don't think the SD255 is made any more but there's a 256 and a 257, plus two new models the 2500 and 2501, see here http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/290123/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html

I can't immediately see what the difference is apart from the fact that you appear to be able to make jam in the new models, although I'm not sure why you'd want to do that in a breadmaker to be honest!

The 'raisin' dispenser version is a good idea, as you can use it for seeds, nuts and all kinds of other stuff (olives, sun dried tomatoes etc.) too.

I have an older version, the SD253 and it's still going strong after approx. 4 years of use at least once, but usually twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Actually, that one is probably a bit pricey as she would be embaressed if I spent so much.

Any cheaper ones around that are simple to use and give good results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I've heard good things about the lidl breadmaker! And Morphy richards.

I thought that too when I bought mine, but like I said, after 4 years of constant use it's still going strong, whereas other people I know who've bought cheaper ones have either stopped using them because of disappointing results, or they've broken down (usually burnt out motors or broken drive belts).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Planet X wrote: »
    I'll go for it I think. Saw one in Debenhams this morning, Panasonic 255. Euro 155. Seems the latest edition.
    Thanks for the recommendations Alun.

That had an "electrical" at the weekend. Dog chewed through the cable a few weeks ago, taped it :eek::eek: and it blew on Sunday morning. Big flame from the socket................missus nearly................:D

Went out immediatley and bought another. Tried DID, nothing, Harvey Norman, nothing.........back to Debenhams in Blackrock, SD 257 €140. Basically the same model but............cheaper!!

Pity it blew, because, as Alun says, it's used daily. Haven't bought bread from the shop since August 2008. OK, maybe a few French sticks for garlic bread etc etc.

ps. The quote from above is from August 2008. Long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've merged the new thread with the old thread. I think it's safe enough to keep all breadmaker discussion to the one thread :).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Eviledna wrote: »
    There have been so so many threads on this subject in the past, and the overall concensus is:
    The panasonic sd255 !!

It's about 90 euro, but it delivers the best results time after time

+1

I started with a LIDL breadmaker which was ok (and good value at about €30), but progressed to the SD255 a few years ago and it's great. I don't think I ever saw it anywhere near €90 though, expect to pay a good bit more for one (or one of its successors) :)

Planet X wrote: »
    That had an "electrical" at the weekend. Dog chewed through the cable a few weeks ago, taped it :eek::eek: and it blew on Sunday morning. Big flame from the socket................missus nearly................:D
    Probably just a short inside the cable then. I'd guess that if you had replaced the cable, or cut the bitten bit of cable out and joined it with a proper connector, it would have continued working for a long time to come. Have you chucked it out already?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Gone. Recycled unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Colin4May

Like you Alun, I got the Panasonic.. but the more sophisticated WXC model. http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/290123/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html
    It gives you more options if you get bored with the standard breadmaking modes! I guess it depends how adventurous you wanna be! But I've never been disappointed with Panasonic... that was my first VHS DVD player and I still have it (in the loft admittedly!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tallbirdlady

I have the above breadmaker and it is good. One problem though when i tip the bread out the paddles come out as well in the loaf! leaving a hole in the bread has anyone come across this yet or know of a remedy what about putting butter round the paddles?

Strange.. not had that happen.. yet... what model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have the above breadmaker and it is good. One problem though when i tip the bread out the paddles come out as well in the loaf! leaving a hole in the bread has anyone come across this yet or know of a remedy what about putting butter round the paddles?

I think this is fairly normal. Happens with my (Morphy Richards) breadmaker regularly. The manual even states that this might happen.

I cant see how butter is going to help.There is no chance that the butter would last 3 hours of mixing the wet ingredients, kneading, proving, kneading and baking.

Even if the paddle does not come away when you tip the bread out, there is going to be be a hole where the bread came away from the paddle.

I just consider it a very minor downside of breadmaker bread. It doesn;t bother me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a Panasonic and it happened to me today for the first time in ages. I just pulled the paddle out when the bread cooled. The hole in the bread doesn't bother me, I hardly notice it.
    My favourite bread at the moment is malted brown loaf, a mixture of Hovis granary flour and strong white :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

A bit fiddly and not for everyone, but if you know when the kneading is finished (maybe put a ringing timer on) dump the dough out onto a plate, remove the paddle and replace the dough in the tin. Almost no hole at all :)

On reading the instructions properly! it says " if you remove the kneading paddles after the last kneading of the dough,the bread will remain intact when you remove it from the baking mould" So i will try that today, and promise to read the instructions properly next time :)

Thanks for your help :p

Hmmm... I'm expecting this to happen to me any day then!

It happened today Dammitt!!! Lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Has anyone ever made pasta dough in this bread machine?

• Advertisement

Not yet... next up is soughdough! Here's the recipe I'm going to use- http://theideaskitchen.co.uk/cook/recipe-finder/recipe/?rid=710

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tallbird

Hi, Thanks for all the sound advise and tips on breadmaking, have to cut out salt from my diet because of high blood pressure, and I'm noticing the very big amount of salt added to processed foods, bread in particular, so I have just reserved a panasonic breadmaker at Argos, can't wait to try it out. Thanks again everyone:)

tallbird wrote: »
    Hi, Thanks for all the sound advise and tips on breadmaking, have to cut out salt from my diet because of high blood pressure, and I'm noticing the very big amount of salt added to processed foods, bread in particular, so I have just reserved a panasonic breadmaker at Argos, can't wait to try it out. Thanks again everyone:)

Let us know how you get on... start with the simple stuff first..:)

By the way, I came across this information regarding freezing dough- http://theideaskitchen.co.uk/learn/ideas-kitchen-blog/can-you-freeze-dough/
    I think this could be useful if, like me, tyou don't always have time to start from scrath when firing up your breadmaker! I must admit I haven't tried freezing dough yet, but i might be worth squirreling this information away for the future!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My favourite bread to make at the moment is Malted Brown Loaf. It's a mix of granary and strong white flour and I use milk instead of water in the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Salt is essential to yeast bread making - it inhibits the yeast growth and needs balancing for good bread. If you add too little the bread will rise and rise and then collapse. If you add too much, it won't rise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tallbird

I knew there would have to be some salt added , but it should not be the only taste you get when your eating it, idk. however I went ahead and bought the machine sd-2501 and I absolutly love the result, so far just wholemeal loaf , and no taste of salt , I will never buy shop bread again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Thinking of purchasing one of these things myself. Any recommendations folks ?

It's worth going all out and buying a Panasonic. The best model used to be the SD255 but they've changed it now and I think it's called the SD257. A lot of people who post here have it.
    It's the one with the little hatch for nuts, seeds etc and they're added automatically to the dough. With other machines you have to wait for the beep and add them yourself. You won't regret buying a bread maker, they're fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's worth going all out and buying a Panasonic. The best model used to be the SD255 but they've changed it now and I think it's called the SD257. A lot of people who post here have it.
    It's the one with the little hatch for nuts, seeds etc and they're added automatically to the dough. With other machines you have to wait for the beep and add them yourself. You won't regret buying a bread maker, they're fantastic.

Thanks DB, I'll have to look in to the SD257 so, sounds perfect. I'd love to make some of the malt bread someone posted about earlier on this thread, sounds well tasty.

Advertisement