Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The advice on this thread is brilliant. I have a young daughter who is a fussy eater, the school are constantly asking parents to vary the lunches, the only thing my daughter will experiment with is bread. She tasted a 5 seeded bread (beautifully soft with a range of textures going through it) when we were visiting my parents and absolutely loved it - the only problem is this bread is not available in any shops near me, so the best option is to try and make something similar. Thanks.

Before reading the thread I would have gone for a cheaper breadmaker, but now I have my heart set on the Panasonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭positron

I have been using a Panasonic SD 2501 WXC for a few weeks now, and with moderate success.

I got Odlums (sp?) 'Strong white flour', however I can't find a 'strong' version of the wholemeal flour. I tried making 50:50 with strong white and normal wholemeal and it turned out okay-ish. Not fluffy enough for my liking, but tasty and my 2 yr old loves it when I made it with half milk half water (150 ml milk + 150 ml water, instead of 300 ml water, for a medium size loaf, program 4). But it wasn't as fluffy as say a 100% white would be. And 100% wholemeal doesn't rise at all. Make me wonder if there's such a 'Strong' wholemeal flour, and if so where do I find it (nothing like that in Tesco or Aldi).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

positron wrote: »
    I got Odlums (sp?) 'Strong white flour', however I can't find a 'strong' version of the wholemeal flour.

Make me wonder if there's such a 'Strong' wholemeal flour, and if so where do I find it (nothing like that in Tesco or Aldi).
    Yes, there is such a thing.

For some bizarre reason my local Tesco only stock Odlum's strong white flour, not the wholemeal one, but Dunnes Stores (Cornlescourt at least) only stock the wholemeal version and not the white one :)

So, off to Dunne's stores you go!

EDIT: It's the one with the purple label you're looking for http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=wholemeal-flour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I see that the Panasonic have a model SD-ZB2502BXC costing approx. 190 Euro, this one has a yeast dispenser and is 20 Euro dearer than the 2501, do you think the yeast dispenser would make much difference?
    Thanks.

cofy wrote: »
    I see that the Panasonic have a model SD-ZB2502BXC costing approx. 190 Euro, this one has a yeast dispenser and is 20 Euro dearer than the 2501, do you think the yeast dispenser would make much difference?
    Thanks.
    I've no idea why a yeast dispenser would make any difference to be honest, although they say on the website it's to produce 'optimal results' so who knows?

The 'seed' dispenser is a good idea though, you can use it for all kinds of things ... olives, seeds, nuts, sundried tomatoes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

I use 5 cups of Odlums Strong White Flour to 1 cup of Odlums Strong Wholemeal Flour, (I make a large 3 lbs loaf), and I get a lovely light brown loaf. The Odlums Strong Wholemeal is difficult to track down, but Dunnes in Douglas Court, Cork have it in stock. I bought plenty and put it in the freezer, and take them out as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, there is such a thing.

For some bizarre reason my local Tesco only stock Odlum's strong white flour, not the wholemeal one, but Dunnes Stores (Cornlescourt at least) only stock the wholemeal version and not the white one :)

So, off to Dunne's stores you go!

EDIT: It's the one with the purple label you're looking for http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=wholemeal-flour

Thanks. I didn't know Dunnes stock the wholemeal strong flour, its hard to find.

Supervalu in Churchtown stock Allinsons wholemeal strong flour. its the only place i havve found it so far.

Yes, there is such a thing. ..

Thanks, that's such a relief to the breadmaker can do better breads than what I was getting, if I get the right flour.

On an unrelated note, Odlums' design is amazing - my 20 month old can spot Oldums from the other end of the isle - she thing they are 'whitwhooos' (Owls) :rolleyes:.

cofy wrote: »
    Thanks.

I don't know to be honest, but with 2500/2501 models they usually ask you to put the yeast first, then the flour and then the liquids etc. Apparently this keep the yeast from activating too early, especially if you are planning to put the breadmaker on timer over night, or when you are away etc. In fact, the timer is probably the best feature of the breakmaker. So may be a timed yeast delivery option gives you more choice with various recipes / programs?

Anywhoo - If you are willing to pay 170 for the other, what's the big deal in 20 more euro. However if you keep an eye out, you would occasionally find deals etc on breadmakers, even Panasonic ones. 2500 was around €65 couple of months ago in a special deal in Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Does everyone stick to the recipes in the instruction book for the Panasonics or are there other places to get interesting recipes?

We bought the 2501 for Christmas last year for my Mum and it is good. But I find that there isn't really as much variety in the breads that I had hoped for. But we have just stuck with recipes from the instruction book.

To give an example, it does some loafs quite well but we haven't been able to make anything that really resembles McCambridges brown bread or a Vienna Roll/ Loaf for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

To give an example, it does some loafs quite well but we haven't been able to make anything that really resembles McCambridges brown bread or a Vienna Roll/ Loaf for instance.

Have you tried the French loaf recipe? I find that very like a vienna roll - apart from the shape. It's got a very crisp crust and is light and fluffy inside. As far as I know McCambridges brown bread is yeast-free and one you'd make by hand.

Edit: I remembered someone posting a recipe for a bread similar to McCambridges a few years ago. It's here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60064828

I don't know to be honest, but with 2500/2501 models they usually ask you to put the yeast first, then the flour and then the liquids etc. Apparently this keep the yeast from activating too early, especially if you are planning to put the breadmaker on timer over night, or when you are away etc. In fact, the timer is probably the best feature of the breakmaker. So may be a timed yeast delivery option gives you more choice with various recipes / programs?
    I think that maybe it. Even on the non-timer programs it sits and 'rests' for quite a while, nearly an hour I think, before it starts agitating, like you said presumably to stop the yeast activating too early. I'm not sure what it's doing otherwise during this time, maybe just gently warming the ingredients up to a warm room temperature?

Anyway, that's another tip for the "Boards Breadmaker FAQ"... if you don't have the yeast dispenser, put the ingredients in in the same order as the recipe.

Yeah, I never understood what exactly these Panasonic breadmakers do by going straight into 'rest' before doing anything. It's as if the breadmachine is taken aback that we asked it make some bread and it goes "Bread? Right. Okay. I will just go lie down for a while now, and when I recover I will make it for you".

PS: I just looked up and 'rest' is apparently a technical term in the baking scene - it gives the flour a chance to absorb water and fully hydrade, or something along those lines. (link)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mick F

If anyone is looking for a cheap and cheerful bread maker, Lidl are doing the Silvercrest one from Thursday for €50. I bought one about six months ago and it does a great job. It doesn't have the yeast or seed dispenser that the Panasonic one does (I was leaning very strongly towards getting that one from Amazon) but it is a quarter of the price. I've used it for normal and french bread as well as dough and cake mixtures and had good results from it. It gets about 2-3 outings a week in our house.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Thanks. I didn't know Dunnes stock the wholemeal strong flour, its hard to find.

Supervalu in Churchtown stock Allinsons wholemeal strong flour. its the only place i havve found it so far.

Could not find strong wholemeal at two Dunnes I checked so far (Portmarnock & Drogheda SouthGate). Also tried a bunch of Centras etc too, but no luck. I think I will try Supervalue next. Still suffering from partially risen wholemeal bread that are just meh.

Also going to give large pack of chapati flour (from Asian shops in town) a go - some of them have 12g protein, that's similar to strong flour isn't it? It's also really cheap if you buy larger bags and 100% wholemeal too.

That's odd. I've only ever seen it at Cornelscourt, which is admittedly their 'flagship' store, so maybe it's just at the bigger Dunne's.

Perhaps. Both Dunnes Portmarnock and SouthGate are fairly large shops, especially the one in SouthGate is what they call an 'anchor' store.

Anyway, I took a slightly drastic step and ordered flour online (!!). I was ordering a whole bunch of other things from Amazon, so I had free shipping anyway. This flour Bacheldre Watermill Organic Strong Flour, is six kilos for approximately €9.60, making it €1.60 per kilo, or €2.40 for 1.5 kgs, which works out cheaper than the usual Tesco/Dunnes prices anyway, and the reviews are pretty decent as well. I'll report back if it works or not.

I'll certainly be interested how you get on. We don't normally shop at either Tesco or Dunnes so getting our flour supplies involves going out of our way, so ordering online could be an option. It's a pity there doesn't seem to be anyone in Ireland doing the same though.

Quick update "Bacheldre Watermill Organic Strong Wholemeal Flour" - it was delivered yesterday, flour looks great and is fairly coarse as well. I made a medium Wholemeal 50% with it (200 gms of wholemeal and 200 gms Odlums Strong white, with olive oil, half milk, half water, salt, sugar & yeast). Delighted with the results! It's not as fluffy as an all-white, or like a super market bread (but then again, I am not adding any 'bread improvers'), however it smells lovely and tastes great. You know it tastes great when a toddler asks for a second slice..!!

XDFS8l.jpg

Also noticed M&S sells own brand wholemeal strong flour - saw almost empty shelf at M&S Jervis Centre.

Next question so: Has anyone tried adding Vitamic C or protein etc while making bread, to make err.. 'super bread'? :D

The Vitamin C powder that they suggest putting in in the Panasonic recipe book isn't to make it more healthy, but to aid in rising especially when making 100% wholemeal loaves. Something to do with making the gluten stronger and more resistant to being torn up by the rough bits in the wholemeal flour or something like that.

Anyway, I've never bothered myself, but then I usually make either 50/50 or 70/30 loaves which possibly don't need it as much. I don't even know where you'd buy Vitamin C powder if you wanted to, but I did see some citric acid powder in an Asian shop once and bought some on impulse as they're closely related but have never tried it out.

• Advertisement

Just to add, I tried my citric acid powder in a 100% wholemeal loaf yesterday, and the result is actually worse than without it :D Guess I'll bin it unless I can find some other use for it!

lol! And here I am waiting delivery of 100 gms of Vitamin C powder..! I'll give it a go anyway.. I'll update!

lol! And here I am waiting delivery of 100 gms of Vitamin C powder..! I'll give it a go anyway.. I'll update!
    I'll be interested in the results, certainly. Did you order it online? It was a bit of a punt really with the citric acid ... they're very similar, chemically, but not enough, obviously :D

Yep, from here: myprotein.com as I was ordering something else from there anyway, but this one at Amazon is cheaper and better packaged.

PS: On quick Google, citric acid != ascorbic acid aparantly; Vitamin C powder is crystalised ascorbic acid, and while they both are abundant in all kinds of citrus fruits, they are totally different, and that just might explain why your poor loaf suffered in the breadmaker! :D

I tried 'mixed spice loaf' with 75:25 white/wholemeal, cinnamon, dried fruits, eggs etc etc. Threw various stuff in for 'mixed spice' like paprika, ginger etc and this is what I got.

B5PDrl.jpg

Texture and taste was brilliant, and the smell of a cinnamon bread baking is just so amazingly Christmas-y, a bit too early for it perhaps, but I will definitely be doing this again in 4-5 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

HI everyone,

Am looking to get a bread maker and yes it seems the consensus here is for the panasonic - however Argos have a deal on at the moment on a Morphy Richards:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4236708/Trail/searchtext%3EBREAD+MAKER.htm

Claiming its half price from €220 to €110. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this model? Its looks great anyway!
    Cant wait to start baking bread either way... mmmm... :)

jendafer1 wrote: »
    HI everyone,

Am looking to get a bread maker and yes it seems the consensus here is for the panasonic - however Argos have a deal on at the moment on a Morphy Richards:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4236708/Trail/searchtext%3EBREAD+MAKER.htm

Claiming its half price from €220 to €110. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this model? Its looks great anyway!
    Cant wait to start baking bread either way... mmmm... :)
    Personally I'd just bite the bullet and get the Panasonic, you won't regret it.

I tried 'mixed spice loaf' with 75:25 white/wholemeal, cinnamon, dried fruits, eggs etc etc. Threw various stuff in for 'mixed spice' like paprika, ginger etc and this is what I got.

Texture and taste was brilliant, and the smell of a cinnamon bread baking is just so amazingly Christmas-y, a bit too early for it perhaps, but I will definitely be doing this again in 4-5 weeks time.

Looks good ... was that one of the recipes in the Panasonic book? I can't find it in mine, I've got a "Spicy Fruit Loaf" but there's no eggs in it and it's 100% white flour.

I don't suppose you'd mind sharing the recipe?

It is the same 'Spicy Fruit Loaf' recipe (below), and instead of 100% white, I went with 75:25 with white and wholemeal. And replaced butter with same amount of olive oil. Everything else was exactly as the standard Panasonic recipe. I will try and make it a bit more sweeter next time perhaps (or may be not - it's great with butter as is is..!!)

Spicy Fruit Loaf, Menu ‘03’ (4hr), M
    Yeast 1 tsp
    Strong White Flour 400 g (14 oz)
    Sugar 2 tsp
    Butter 75 g (3 oz)
    Salt 1 tsp
    Cinnamon 2 tsp
    Mixed Spice 1 tsp
    Eggs, medium 2
    Water 100 mL
    Milk 100 mL
    Mixed Dried Fruit 150 g (5 oz)
    jendafer1 wrote: »

That looks really good, great reviews as well - you could probably get the Panasonic for the same money though, but based on the reviews that one looks really nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Personally I'd just bite the bullet and get the Panasonic, you won't regret it.

Ah I'm so torn! I have one of the Morphy Richards on reserve from argos so I could get it TODAY!!! But I think you're right... since the consensus is to go with Panasonic I think I will wait for a good deal for one of them to come round - please let me know if anyone spots a bargain for it!!

Thanks!

Advertisement