Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breadmaker Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

positron wrote: »
    It is the same 'Spicy Fruit Loaf' recipe (below), and instead of 100% white, I went with 75:25 with white and wholemeal. And replaced butter with same amount of olive oil. Everything else was exactly as the standard Panasonic recipe. I will try and make it a bit more sweeter next time perhaps (or may be not - it's great with butter as is is..!!)

Spicy Fruit Loaf, Menu ‘03’ (4hr), M
    Yeast 1 tsp
    Strong White Flour 400 g (14 oz)
    Sugar 2 tsp
    Butter 75 g (3 oz)
    Salt 1 tsp
    Cinnamon 2 tsp
    Mixed Spice 1 tsp
    Eggs, medium 2
    Water 100 mL
    Milk 100 mL
    Mixed Dried Fruit 150 g (5 oz)
    Thanks, that's quite a bit different to the recipe with the same name in mine. More yeast, more butter and sugar, eggs (no eggs in mine) and twice as much fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Hmm, that's sounds nicer actually - more butter, sugar and fruits sounds perfect for lite 'cake bread'.

This is the recipe booklet I have been using with SD-2501: PDF on dropbox

Hmm, that's sounds nicer actually - more butter, sugar and fruits sounds perfect for lite 'cake bread'.

This is the recipe booklet I have been using with SD-2501: PDF on dropbox
    No, I meant yours has more butter, sugar and fruit than mine does :D Yours sounds much nicer.

Here's the page from my recipe book ...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

jendafer1 wrote: »
    Ah I'm so torn! I have one of the Morphy Richards on reserve from argos so I could get it TODAY!!! But I think you're right... since the consensus is to go with Panasonic I think I will wait for a good deal for one of them to come round - please let me know if anyone spots a bargain for it!!

Thanks!

I just couldnt wait and bought an SD501 yesterday from Argos - woke up this morning to freshly baked bread - its sooo good! Really looking forward to working my way through the comprehensive recipe book that came with it :)
    Thanks for everyones advice on here, glad I went for the panasonic in the end! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my grandmother used to make the best fruitcake ever, but unfortunately the recipe died with her. :(

the only thing i can remember about it was that she used to soak the dried fruit in a cup of tea for a few minutes before she mixed it into the cake. it used to come out so moist and juicy it really was out of this world. :)

she was an amazing woman and even though it's been more than 10 years since she passed, i still miss her every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭teddy12

Im looking for a cheap breadmaker.
    Nothing fancy and around the 100 euro mark.....
    Any recommendations?

Alun wrote: »
    I'll be interested in the results, certainly.

Vitamin C powder came in post yesterday and for comparison I tried my usual 50:50 recipe but this time with half a teaspoon on Vitamin C.

Bread came out this morning a full inch taller than my previous 50:50s. Usually my 50:50 is a ligher version of full wholemeal, and my other half wouldn't call it 'sandwich bread' as it was too 'dense'. With Vitamin C however, bread came out super fluffy, and super soft. There were ever one or two swiss cheese style holes in the bread! I think I finally have the 50:50 bread that is 100% better than the super market bread, in all aspects. Only downside is that it's now much harder to slice as it is really fluffy on the inside. But I don't mind that at all! :D

aNee7l.jpg

PS: Photo doesn't do justice as the loaf was a bit short at this end for some reason.

Should have mentioned that I got some too, bought in a local health food shop. I tried it using the recommended 1/4 tsp as shown in my recipe book, and although I noted a bit of an improvement, it wasn't as much as I had hoped. I'll try a a slightly larger amount like you did and see if it makes it any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Got a Lidl breadmaker a couple of months ago and must admit to being a bit disappointed! Any bread I've made has turned out slightly 'damp', even if I up the flour and decrease the liquid. Used recipes from the booklet and the Fresh Bread in the Morning book mentioned here. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got a Lidl breadmaker a couple of months ago and must admit to being a bit disappointed! Any bread I've made has turned out slightly 'damp', even if I up the flour and decrease the liquid. Used recipes from the booklet and the Fresh Bread in the Morning book mentioned here. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm not sure. I started off with a Lidl breadmaker years ago and the Lidl breadmixes worked out alright in it. Did you try any of them? I'd recommend the Ciabatta

I only got more adventurous when I bought my Panasonic SD255 a few years ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

teddy12 wrote: »
    Im looking for a cheap breadmaker.
    Nothing fancy and around the 100 euro mark.....
    Any recommendations?

Ah...... just get a Panny ! :D

Keep an eye on Amazon. Every now & then they have them on deep discount ;)

Any of you have experience of Gluten Free in a Panny ( I just use DF brown mix & sometimes a little gram flour to make a 'nuttier' loaf...but would like to try something else )

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what menu do people use for the pre-mixes on the panasonic SD2501, specifically I got the tesco crusty wholewheat mix, hoping to set up tonight for morning fresh bread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Whats the bread maker of choice these days - is it still the Panasonic SD2501 or has something else come along?

JohnK wrote: »
    Whats the bread maker of choice these days - is it still the Panasonic SD2501 or has something else come along?
    Pretty much. They now have a 2502 model that has a separate dispenser for the yeast, although I don't know how much difference that makes in practice.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for low GI seeded bread?

I was up north in Belfast the other day and ate at a cafe where they had absolutely yummy bread which they call "Low GI Seeduction", like this: link

Ham-salad.jpg

Found one here: http://www.dietfreedom.co.uk/recipes/nutty-seedy-loaf , but other recipes are welcome too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

0lddog wrote: »
    Ah...... just get a Panny ! :D

Keep an eye on Amazon. Every now & then they have them on deep discount ;)

Top tip: Sign up to CamelCamelCamel. Tell them which Amazon product you want and what your target price is, and they'll email you when it hits that price. I got a bargain Panasonic breadmaker in November using this.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

dvpower wrote: »

Top tip: Sign up to CamelCamelCamel. Tell them which Amazon product you want and what your target price is, and they'll email you when it hits that price. I got a bargain Panasonic breadmaker in November using this.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

Hey folks, just got the panasonic sd 2502 in currys blanchardstown today on special offer for €169 thats only tenner more than the 2501.. Ring ahead though as they told me I got the last one for the moment...they only have display models left in some stores so might be worth making an offer!

I havn't tried it yet though and from what I can discern the only difference between this and the 2501 is the yeast dispenser!

it's massive too btw,

:) bye bye brennans jmob:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Found one here: http://www.dietfreedom.co.uk/recipes/nutty-seedy-loaf , but other recipes are welcome too.

10 tablespoons of seeds? that sounds like me! I don't count the tablespoons but in weight that is 150grams of seeds that goes into my spelt-rye flour bread. and the seed that gives the most flavor is a poppy seed if we agree that caraway seed is a spice ;)

We haven't bought a single loaf from the shop since the Dec'11 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mick F

Armelodie wrote: »
    Hey folks, just got the panasonic sd 2502 in currys blanchardstown today on special offer for €169 thats only tenner more than the 2501.. Ring ahead though as they told me I got the last one for the moment...they only have display models left in some stores so might be worth making an offer!

I havn't tried it yet though and from what I can discern the only difference between this and the 2501 is the yeast dispenser!

it's massive too btw,

:) bye bye brennans jmob:)

I got one in Liffey Valley as Swords and Blanch had sold out. I was using a Lidl one but the gubbins underneath the bread pan that attach the paddles to the motors were wearing out. The Panasonic is very nice and I like the dispensers idea. Only one loaf so far but turned out perfect.

And yes, it is very very tall!

• Advertisement

A question for anyone else with the Panasonic; the paddle seems a very loose fit over the driveshaft. It appears to be correct as the rye blade is also loose. Can anyone else confirm that this is the same on all machines?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mick F wrote: »
    A question for anyone else with the Panasonic; the paddle seems a very loose fit over the driveshaft. It appears to be correct as the rye blade is also loose. Can anyone else confirm that this is the same on all machines?
    Mine sits loosely too, I'm sure that's normal :)

Yep, paddle fits loose in mine too. Even with that it's hard to get it off once the bread is out.. easier if I soak it for a while.

Yes, it's always wobbled a bit. Possibly by design, either so it doesn't stick solid to the drive shaft, or to give the motor a chance to start turning a little bit before it meets the resistance of the dough to prevent stalling, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Mick F wrote: »

I got one in Liffey Valley as Swords and Blanch had sold out. I was using a Lidl one but the gubbins underneath the bread pan that attach the paddles to the motors were wearing out. The Panasonic is very nice and I like the dispensers idea. Only one loaf so far but turned out perfect.

And yes, it is very very tall!

Just wondering, did you stick exactly to the recipe amounts? I had to tweek it a little as one teaspoon of yeast wasn't enough (used a little over two tsps), also set it to dark crust...using the odlums strong white flour btw

I always stick religiously to the quantities for everything, including the yeast, and never have a problem.

What yeast are you using? I'm using either the McDougalls or Tesco's own active dried yeast (which appear to be one and the same thing if the packaging is anything to go by.)

I did use the recipe from the Panasonic handbook which varied slightly from the recipe I had been using (smaller quantities) but ti turned out perfect.

I buy the 125g packs of Dove Farm yeast from a health food shop and keep it in a small glass jar as it's cheaper than even the Tesco one.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guy I'm thinking of picking up the Panasonic bread maker.

I just want to ask where is the cheapest place to buy flour in bulk?

There are several bulk flour offers on amazon with free delivery.

Is this the best place to get the flour or is there somewhere cheaper?

Also where are you guys buying your yeast?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Thinking about buying a bread maker next week. I'm about to finish up at work for the forseeable future so will be at home a lot - thought it might be a nice thing to buy with with my last pay. Planning on doing a lot of cooking from scratch from now on. We've stayed with family before who had one and sitting down to lunch with freshly baked bread is just the best.

My only concern is I have a Kenwood Kmix with a dough hook attachment. Obviously this was quite an expensive purchase, would I be better off just getting loaf tins and using the mixer and saving myself €180?

Also, I've been looking at the panasonic SD500 and SD 501 and I can't see a difference between them either, apart from €30 or so in the price. :confused:

• Advertisement

I think the only difference between the 2500 and the 2501 is a couple of extra programs for rye bread. There's a 2502 as well IIRC that has a yeast dispenser on top of that.

Thing is that the breadmaker is a one stop shop, chuck in all the ingredients, switch it on and forget. If you're using your Kenwood to knead the dough, you'll still have to wait around for dough to rise, re-knead, rise again etc. and you'll be using your normal oven, which may use more electricity than the breadmaker's due to it's size. Now, if you're going to be at home anyway, using the oven for other baking, and have time on your hands that may not be a problem, only you can tell :)

Advertisement