Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donkey

Options
  • 10-08-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting a donkey as a pet for myself.

We live at the side of a bog and have about an acre of garden and a lot of bog behind. So how much land would you need for a donkey. Is hay and stuff expensive can any one give me a ball park idea. do they wear shoes and is a farrier hard to get?

Everyone I ask just bangs on and on with negative general stuff would love some specifices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

First of all you should really get two donkeys or none at all. A donkey on his own would be quite lonely and unhappy. This is why the donkey sanctuary only home them in pairs.

You would need at least an acre per donkey, with some sort of shelter ( a substantial hedge against the prevailing wind would suffice). Their feet would need to be trimmed occasionally but a farrier should be easy enough to find.

It would be a good idea to do your research and get some experience in handling a donkey (or ponies) before making the investment as they are not small creatures and you need to learn how to handle them. You would also need to learn about things such as worming, feeding, signs of illness etc.

The BHS do a horse owners course with riding and stable management sections. The stable management one would give you a very good foundation.

A couple of round bales of hay will do for the year if they are kept dry and won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

Thanks for all the info so far. I googled bhs but its in uk is there an irish equilivant. Looking at buy and sell and if there is anyone near me selling a donkey or two will ask can I call in and visit first.

I have never even owned a dog before.

BHS is pretty much the standard here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

They are roughly the same as a pony to look after, they need shelter, feed & hay in the winter, some hard standing, well-fenced paddocks (i.e. no barbed wire and preferably no smooth wire either! post and rail or natural hedging is safest) a daily check to make sure they haven't hurt themselves/aren't sick, regular farrier visits, vet check ups and worming etc! They probably also need their teeth done by the vet about once a year. and they definetly do need a companion of their own kind.

Advertisement