Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

question on tax

Options
  • 10-08-2008 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

I have a 1999 VW passat 1.9TDI. My tax is currently 580 odd euro.
    As far as I was aware the way my car is taxed isnt affected by the new co2 emmissions stuff coming in and that its only for new cars.
    Then I was talking to someone recently that said that when you get your car NCT'd next they'll tell you your co2 emmissions and it could have a impact on what your tax is depending obviously if they go down or not.
    Now that doesnt sound right to me but I thought I'd check.
    I have to say I think its an absolute outrage if it doesnt change though because why should I pay higher tax for my car just cause its a bit older than say someone with the same car only newer its madness.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It won't change. Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

yeah it wont change. the rich get richer . you could buy a registered 07 vw tdi car sittin in a garage for the last year with o miles and you would still pay 590. common sense doesnt come in to there thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

yeah its fuucking rediculous if you ask me. If you think about it I could buy a 1.8ltr petrol guzzoler for a cheaper price second hand which will pollute more than the 1.9tdi but will pay the same tax.
    They're not helping people make the right choice. Just tryin to be seen to do the right thing. Definately the case of the rich getting richer. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

emurphy wrote: »
    1.8ltr petrol guzzoler .

Mods can the words gas guzzler and all its variants please be put on the banned list. Especially when allied with reativly small engines.

emurphy wrote: »
    Definately the case of the rich getting richer. ****.

What rich are getting richer on the new system? Most high end cars that actual rich people buy have moved to the €2000 tax bracket.

If you were driveing a 1.4 petrol that would be taxed higher under the new system would you be asking for you tax to be raised?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Discussed a million times before (read the sticky?) and in a much better tone than this time round ...closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement