Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista - issues with software designed for XP?

• 10-08-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey, I just got a new pc a week ago. It has Vista which I am trying to get used to. What's the general consensus on Vista?

Anyway, pc won't shut down. Goes to a blue screen, DOS like, and starts doing a mini dump and just restarts again. Have to hold down power button to shut down. When you start it up again, it asks you do you want to start in safe mode or normally. I just hit normally. Hubbie did safe mode to try to figure out what was causing it and pc had a fit and needed cd put into it to reboot.

I had tried to load finepix software for my camera which is meant for XP onto new pc and it didn't do it properly. Is that it maybe? Can't get rid of it. Won't let me uninstall it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Natacha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Did you get the message that is on the blue screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Natacha

Yea. Its says

If this is the first time you have seen this screen, restart the computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps :

Check to make sure that any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options and then select safe mode.

Technical data (and lots of numbers and letters)

collecting info for crash dump
    initialising disc for crash dump
    beginning dump of physical memory
    dumping physical memory to disc

Then it restarts and goes to a black streen with options to open in safe mode. I click on normal and it goes on as normal and then says "windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" (chance would be a fine thing) and give some files to look at.

I think I'm out of my depth here. None of that means anything to me!!!

Thanks.

Natacha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The technical data with loads of numbers and letters is what we actually need to see.

Of course it is. I'm such a dumbass!

***STOP :0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x0000110B, 0x900004c2, 0x81E838AF)

I don't have a photographic memory or anything but my camera does!

N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Does it give any Sys file that it dumped at? - More than likely it is a faulty driver - Bad Pool Caller -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Those codes indicate a driver issue...

Given that you tried to install an XP driver for your camera to a Vista OS this is probably the cause.

When the menu come up try booting into safe mode and removing the finepix software....

At the very top is says BAD_POOL_CALLER. Only just noticed that. But no sys file. what is that?

Like above, its a driver issue. Boot in and remove finepix driver as this more than likely is your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Never mind about the sys file if it doesn't mention one. Aye seems it could be the faulty driver alright, Vista could be loading this on bootup then crashing as a result. Do as others have said, boot into safe mode and remove the finepix software.

I don't understand why you need the finepix software anyways, there's nothing it can do that you can't already do on your system anyways.

Well, I went to reboot and go to safe mode and the pc turned off on its own! What the ****!. So I turned it on again and it fired up fine, turned off again and perfect. It hasn't turned off on its own in 5 days. So clearly all the computer energy you lot sent must have done the trick. At least if it happens again I'll know what to do.

Achilles, I realise now that I don't need the finepix software but only because of not having it if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all the help.

N

• Advertisement

Natacha wrote:
    It hasn't turned off on its own in 5 days.

Has it being 5 days since? - Time really is flying.

Glad its working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Shouldnt this be moved to Time Travel forum or will we just check back on friday for an update ?

Am I missing something? I don't get the jokes. Time travel? Has time flown?

Anyway, pc wouldn't shut down last night, gave me the blue screen again with "Multiple IRP complete requests" so throwing it out the window.

N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Natacha wrote: »
    Am I missing something? I don't get the jokes. Time travel? Has time flown?
    You posted yesterday that 5 days have passed which looked like you meant from yesterday.
    Anyway, pc wouldn't shut down last night, gave me the blue screen again with "Multiple IRP complete requests" so throwing it out the window.

N
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294876

Still looks like a driver problem. Have you removed the finepix driver and software?

Do a System restore if it created a restore point - might be the easiest Option.

Oh, I see.

Last night, I went into safe mode after it restarted and went into control panel, programs and features, and clicked on Finepix to uninstall but wouldn't let me do it "an install support file could not be found, system cannot find the file specified." So I deleted it from my computer, maybe shouldn't have?? So now it doesn't appear in my computer or programs and features. Will try shutting down now. Standby as Capt. Picard would say!

Ok so system shut down fine. Hopefully that is the end of that!

Thanks for the link axer. Will keep it in case it happens again.

N

So, I'm back and the pc had to be resucitated! It threw a wobbly and wouldn't let me connect to internet or access help. We then realised that it was the driver for the modem. Had to do 2 sysem restores before it would work again. Hubbie took modem out of old pc as new one only had a network card (??? what's that, I'm stupid, remember!) and it worked at first, automatically finding the driver from the old hard drive he also put in (hubbie better with hardware than software, but what man isn't!!). The modem is Intel 537ep v9x pci modem. From doing searches on net, looks like there isn't a vista driver for it. Intel website said as much by he absence of vista from available os selections. So will probably have to get a new modem (we only had dial up in the sticks here). Anyone tell me where to start looking for a modem and what to look for? Any help much appreciated.

N

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you made sure that you have installed all the available updates for Vista?

Yea, it was when I did the vista update last time, that after that, pc acted like it never heard of a modem, as if one had never been in it. A thorough search on the net gave me nada. What's the craic with external modems?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To be honest if I was having that much bother with a new PC for something as basic as a modem driver, I'd be bringing it back.
    What make of PC is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Hubbie took modem out of old pc as new one only had a network card

This is the key as it seems to be an older modem....

From what I can see, you need to install the modem drivers using the "find my driver". Not massively useful when you need the modem to connect to the net!

Driver version 4.77.8.3 seems to work well with Vista if you can find it according to the web.

Medion - Aldi.

Macrubicon, thanks for your advice. I had done the update previously but obviously hadn't updated the modem driver as when I went into the specifics of the next updates due, there were a lot of updates ticked to be updated but the intel modem update wasn't ticked! So I ticked it and lo and behold, new driver installed. Didn't give me any details of the version but seems to be working ok.

Thanks for all the help.

natacha

Advertisement