Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop will not recognise Eircom's Netopia 2247, why?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

I am trying to get my Advent 4211 to connect to the wireless network at my in-laws. They have an Eircom netopia 2247NWG. My machine dual boots between Windows XP and Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu I can see the wireless network, but under windows the machine doesn't pick up anything - no SSID or any other indication that the network is present.

Does anyone know what could be going on here?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

sliabh wrote: »
    I am trying to get my Advent 4211 to connect to the wireless network at my in-laws. They have an Eircom netopia 2247NWG. My machine dual boots between Windows XP and Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu I can see the wireless network, but under windows the machine doesn't pick up anything - no SSID or any other indication that the network is present.

Does anyone know what could be going on here?

Does the laptop normally pick up wireless signals when using XP?

Is the router broadcasting both 'g' and 'b'?

Also I wonder if the in-laws are using a high number channel that the wireless card in the advent cant see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

dub45 wrote: »
    Does the laptop normally pick up wireless signals when using XP?

Is the router broadcasting both 'g' and 'b'?

Also I wonder if the in-laws are using a high number channel that the wireless card in the advent cant see?
    The answer to the first question is yes. It has happily connected to other public and private routers.

I will have to check on the other two. But I know that the machine is okay with going up to channel 11 anyway, as that is what I use at home.

Advertisement