Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed dog for apartment?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

I live in the top floor of an apartment block in Dublin city. Had my parents dog (Jack Russell) over for a week, he's a lot of work and wouldn't be suitable. We're thinking of possibly a Yorky or a King Charles.
    Ideally we want a dog that won't bark too much, won't sh*t all over the place,can be left alone for a few hours and can go a day or two without a walk.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would recommend one of the following breeds

5921_puppypooch.jpgusb-robo-dog-cam.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

haha, or a goldfish. no walkies needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Had a rabbit in our apartment, cool pet. Was house trained and had a cool personality. We even had a lead to bring him for walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

All dogs will s**t all over the place if not trained no matter what breed. Why do u want a dog. NO dog should go a day or two with out walks. Is there a reason the dog wont be brought on walks. I have cavs and they would not be suitable for u not that they would be living in a appartment but because they need human contact as does every dog.
    My advise dont get a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I live in the top floor of an apartment block in Dublin city. Had my parents dog (Jack Russell) over for a week, he's a lot of work and wouldn't be suitable. We're thinking of possibly a Yorky or a King Charles.
    Ideally we want a dog that won't bark too much, won't sh*t all over the place,can be left alone for a few hours and can go a day or two without a walk.
    Any advice please?

loldog-funny-dog-picture-rogl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

mary123 wrote: »
    All dogs will s**t all over the place if not trained no matter what breed. Why do u want a dog. NO dog should go a day or two with out walks. Is there a reason the dog wont be brought on walks. I have cavs and they would not be suitable for u not that they would be living in a appartment but because they need human contact as does every dog.
    My advise dont get a dog.

Some smaller dogs can get enough exercise running around an apartment.
    I know dogs will s**t everywhere if not trained, just wondering if any perticular breeds are easier or harder to train.
    Are you with your dog 24 hours a day? I have a job like a lot of dog owners do, do you think I'd be the only person in the country that leaves their dog alone for a few hours?
    Why do I want a dog? Why do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Have to agree with the others when I say I don't think a dog is a suitable pet for you in your present circumstances.

All dogs are alot of work regardless of breed. All dogs need access to the outdoors and proper exercise (not running around an apartment) everyday if you are to maintain a happy and healthy dog. Coming home to the apartment stinking of poo and pee everyday will get annoying after a very short while.

Please don't go on the defensive, you asked for advice and there's lots of well seasoned dog owners and rescue people on this forum giving it to you. If the general concensus is that it's not a good idea then that's because it's not a good idea.

You may have your heart set on it but a part of responsible dog ownership is weighing up the pros and cons and making the best decision and in this case I think it is not to get a dog just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I'd suggest a cat over a dog. An apartment living dog will need walks several times a day simply for toileting purposes alone. I've yet to see a city centre apartment that would offer enough exercise space for any dog and a dog that's confined to an apartment for several days at a time isn't going to be the well adjusted laid back pooch which you probably desire. More likely he'll be bored, stressed, hyperactive, noisy, destructive etc, also he'll never be housetrained!. Yorkies and Cavs are just as much work as a jack russell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Some smaller dogs can get enough exercise running around an apartment.I know dogs will s**t everywhere if not trained, just wondering if any perticular breeds are easier or harder to train.
    Are you with your dog 24 hours a day? I have a job like a lot of dog owners do, do you think I'd be the only person in the country that leaves their dog alone for a few hours?

Are you serious?!

The dog will need to go outside for a toilet break every 4 hours or so at least. If you're planning on getting a puppy, make that every 1 hour. (hopefully your not even considering a puppy if you go to work) most dogs need at least 30 mins to 1 hour exersize a day depending on the individual dog. some dogs may need up to 2 hours exercise a day.
    maybe a couple of cats would be a better option for you seeing as you don't seem to like the idea of walking a dog very much.

Some smaller dogs can get enough exercise running around an apartment.
    I know dogs will s**t everywhere if not trained, just wondering if any perticular breeds are easier or harder to train.

Can u tell me why u want a dog. U arnt prepared to walk it every day. Why? Just cos u live in a appartment doesnt mean u cant walk it. Nor does been at work all day, there is still the morming, eve and w/ends. No i dont have a job but that is not my objection to u owning a dog, its ur attitude.
    and ur wrong wherever a dog is small or large it needs to get out every day, no dog is small enough that running around a appartment is big enough nor is it healthy for him. U are going to end up with a bored dog that in a few months is going to be a distructive dog. what will happen the dog then. Pound?
    Where also if the dog is stuck in for a couple of days, where is he supposed to pee and poo. U where the one that stated u didnt want a dog s**tting all over the place, where do u expecting him to do it? The bathroom.
    Also u stated a JRT aint right for u to much hard work do u really think that any other dog is going to be easier, they all ,no matter what breed or age need the same ammount of care and attention.
    I really dont think ur prob is the breed or where u are living i think ur prob is the ammount of time and commitment, it doesnt look like u can give. By time i dont mean about u working most people have to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What happens when your poor dog starts barking the place down in the middle of the afternoon because he is bored, frustrated, too hot, and needs to pee?

All the neighbours are going to get annoyed, your dog is going to get annoyed, and I hate to say it but from your attitude towards dog-'care', it'd end up back in a pound (where at least it might get some fresh air)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

To the OP....have to agree with previous posters.....a dog isn't for you.

I was in the same position as you (probably even a better scenario for the dog than yours in fact - I have a house and garden) and really really wanted a dog, but was reluctant to because of work and such.

In the end I plumped to foster a dog that had hours before being PTS, knowing that I had the dog for max 2 weeks and so it was a win win experiment - I got to see if my situation was ok for dog ownership, the dog was granted a stay of execution and a new life.

The dog in question was reasonably well trained, very self relient, very quiet and well natured. But the look in his eyes when you came home at 5, the bowed head sitting at the back door where you know he's sat for the last 5/6 hours waiting on you........it's not worth it. That was aside from making arrangements for toilet trips at night etc - when a dog has to go it has to go. And as for a bit of a toddle round your kitchen being sufficient for any dog - catch yourself on. My foster dog was walked for 20mins before I left for work and a good hour at night.

My story ended well anyway - the dog went to a terrific forever home with a stay at home mum, loads of kids, huge garden. Under no circumstances would the thought of getting a dog full time cross my mind ever again though. For the dogs sake, please don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ironbarf365

I live in a first floor appartment -I got a rottweiler when she was 4 weeks old -I work 9-5:30

a rottweiler do not bark much at all and once they are house trained and walked they are very dormant animals -they like to sleep most of the day on the floor or the couch

I take mine off before work for 30 mins
    then at 5:30 for an hour or 2 hours
    then another 30 min walk before bed

it is alot of committment but worth it -I wouldnt get a yorkie etc as they bark alot very spoilt and always barking for attention

the hardest part is puppy training if you are not at home -my girlfriend was able to take the dog outside as the first few months they go to the toilet hourly

a female keeps their piss and **** in longer than a male which is handy to know when deciding

I have a King Charles. They're brilliant:D

a female keeps their piss and **** in longer than a male which is handy to know when deciding

..and this "scientific fact" is based on what exactly?
    Wrong ...you have a King Charles Spaniel, it is (not they all are) brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

A lot of it really is an issue of how well you train and exercise your dog. If you are going to be leaving your dog alone for any extended period of time then it is imperative to walk and exercise your dog before and after.

I have a pit bull mix who I crate trained at first and now I can leave her alone for around 10 - 12 hours without her messing up the house, well most of the time anyway. I always walk her early in the morning and again when I get back.

Generally larger dogs tend to be much more calm and relaxed, so they tend to be a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

12 HOURS IN A CRATE???!!! You have got to be kidding me! How often do you inflict this cruelty on your pet?

MsFifers wrote: »
    12 HOURS IN A CRATE???!!! You have got to be kidding me! How often do you inflict this cruelty on your pet?

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension some. I said "I crate trained at first and now I can leave her alone..."

I only crate trained her briefly for less than a month and never for 12 hours. The purpose of crate training is to get the dog to respect the house in the same manner that they respect the crate. If you use a crate too long, you will negate any effect of the training and end up with a dog that goes wild in the house and you have to keep in a crate.

She mostly sleeps when I am gone, I had her on web cam for awhile, and rarely messes in the house when left alone for upwards of 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

LOL! I stand corrected!! Phew! :D

Agree wherever u have a King Charles Spaniel or a cavalier king charles spaniel i agree they are brilliant. But would u leave him in a house for up to 10 hrs aday alone with no walks.

• Advertisement

Can u tell me why u want a dog. U arnt prepared to walk it every day. Why? Just cos u live in a appartment doesnt mean u cant walk it. Nor does been at work all day, there is still the morming, eve and w/ends. No i dont have a job but that is not my objection to u owning a dog, its ur attitude.
    and ur wrong wherever a dog is small or large it needs to get out every day, no dog is small enough that running around a appartment is big enough nor is it healthy for him. U are going to end up with a bored dog that in a few months is going to be a distructive dog. what will happen the dog then. Pound?
    Where also if the dog is stuck in for a couple of days, where is he supposed to pee and poo. U where the one that stated u didnt want a dog s**tting all over the place, where do u expecting him to do it? The bathroom.
    Also u stated a JRT aint right for u to much hard work do u really think that any other dog is going to be easier, they all ,no matter what breed or age need the same ammount of care and attention.
    I really dont think ur prob is the breed or where u are living i think ur prob is the ammount of time and commitment, it doesnt look like u can give. By time i dont mean about u working most people have to work.

Thanks for your rant Mary, you have been of absloutley no help to me.
    Firstly, I would walk the dog everyday, if not 3 times a day. I'm a university lecturer so only work 16 hours a week and have loads of time off, my gf is a sec school teacher so between us the dog would get plenty of walks. I'm just trying to find out if there is any perticular breeds that might be more suited to not having a back garden and are less energetic.

I have a friend whose dog is trained to s**t in a small box in the corner of the kitchen, so no, I don't expect him to use the bathroom.

You object to me getting a dog because of my attitude? Now thats just childish, I've had dogs all my life and you know nothing about me.

I'm getting some constructive replies now.

Oh yeah, get a job
    (Only joking)

MsFifers wrote: »
    LOL! I stand corrected!! Phew! :D

:) I would agree that 12 hours in a crate would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Thanks for your rant Mary, you have been of absloutley no help to me.
    Firstly, I would walk the dog everyday, if not 3 times a day. I'm a university lecturer so only work 16 hours a week and have loads of time off, my gf is a sec school teacher so between us the dog would get plenty of walks. I'm just trying to find out if there is any perticular breeds that might be more suited to not having a back garden and are less energetic.

I have a friend whose dog is trained to s**t in a small box in the corner of the kitchen, so no, I don't expect him to use the bathroom.

You object to me getting a dog because of my attitude? Now thats just childish, I've had dogs all my life and you know nothing about me.

I'm getting some constructive replies now.

Oh yeah, get a job
    (Only joking)
    Firstly would u read back ur first post in which u state that u want a dog that can go for a few days with out a walk, u never said that u would be bringing it for walks every day. If so can u point out to me where. U then said in another post that ur appartment would be bigger enough for a small dog to get enough exercise, without bringing it for walks.
    Secondly why do u always refer to toilet training a dog as saying S**t the whole time? Is this the lanuage that i can expect my daughter to be learning for her education that im paying for?
    U have changed from the OP to ur last post if u dont believe me go read again.

Oh i have personal reasons why i dont work, 1st to look after dogs that have been dumped by people that takes on dogs and then realise the hard work they are
    2nd i look after my sick parents is that wrong that i care for them after they looked after me and my brothers. If so i appologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

i think you need a cat!!!

Firstly would u read back ur first post in which u state that u want a dog that can go for a few days with out a walk, u never said that u would be bringing it for walks every day. If so can u point out to me where. U then said in another post that ur appartment would be bigger enough for a small dog to get enough exercise, without bringing it for walks.
    Secondly why do u always refer to toilet training a dog as saying S**t the whole time? Is this the lanuage that i can expect my daughter to be learning for her education that im paying for?
    U have changed from the OP to ur last post if u dont believe me go read again.

Oh i have personal reasons why i dont work, 1st to look after dogs that have been dumped by people that takes on dogs and then realise the hard work they are
    2nd i look after my sick parents is that wrong that i care for them after they looked after me and my brothers. If so i appologise.

I meant that if I was really busy for some reason and wasn't able to walk him some day, worst case scenario, not the norm.

Yes I have read that some dogs can get enough exercise in an apartment.
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/apart.html
    Toy dogs have high energy levels in some cases, but they are small enough that they can satisfy their needs running about the apartment

Yes I curse sometimes and if you pay for your daughter's education and she is in my class then yes, there is a good chance that she will hear me curse. My youngest students are about 18 so it's hardly shocking, however this is really getting off the point and I think you're just going down the road of trying to insult me because you disagree with me.

I said I was only joking about getting a job, I was attempting in vain to lighten the mood.

I'm getting bored of your pointless replies now. If you have nothing constructive to say, then please don't bother.

Had my parents dog (Jack Russell) over for a week, he's a lot of work and wouldn't be suitable. We're thinking of possibly a Yorky or a King Charles.

Just forget about it.

There is no major difference between the needs and behaviours of these breeds of dog. They all need regular excercise, they all need to eliminate regularly and they also all need some form of routine.

Getting a dog only to interact with it when it suits and to leave it to excercise itself in the apartment and to s**t into a corner when it doesn't simply isn't going to work out.

You either commit fully or not at all ...there are no half measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Even before you choose a dog ( or cat or rabbit ! ) check the house rules in you apartment about pets. Would be a real downer to get the perfect pet and find out you have to find them alternative accomodation due to the rules of your block.

I know in my block, Dogs, Cats and birds are not allowed, and it's one of the few rules enforced....

macrubicon wrote: »
    Even before you choose a dog ( or cat or rabbit ! ) check the house rules in you apartment about pets. Would be a real downer to get the perfect pet and find out you have to find them alternative accomodation due to the rules of your block.

I know in my block, Dogs, Cats and birds are not allowed, and it's one of the few rules enforced....

Pets are allowed as long as they don't cause complaints. There are already a few pets around, I've seen a cat and 2 dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

One of my biggest concerns would be noise. You can't control (or at least its very difficult to) your dog barking. There are plenty of tiny toy breeds that yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap constantly - you can distract him or her when you're at home, but what when you're out?

I'd be a very disgruntled neighbour if there was a dog yapping in the apartment below .... it can be extremely irritating.

And what happens if the dog turns out to be one of the noisy ones? What then? Are you going to rehome him? Pound? Shelter? What?

I'd cut my losses and get a cat, they're surprisingly good company and can be great craic.

• Advertisement

I meant that if I was really busy for some reason and wasn't able to walk him some day, worst case scenario, not the norm.

Yes I have read that some dogs can get enough exercise in an apartment.
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/apart.html
    Toy dogs have high energy levels in some cases, but they are small enough that they can satisfy their needs running about the apartment

Yes I curse sometimes and if you pay for your daughter's education and she is in my class then yes, there is a good chance that she will hear me curse. My youngest students are about 18 so it's hardly shocking, however this is really getting off the point and I think you're just going down the road of trying to insult me because you disagree with me.

I said I was only joking about getting a job, I was attempting in vain to lighten the mood.

I'm getting bored of your pointless replies now. If you have nothing constructive to say, then please don't bother.
    What u really mean is if someone doesnt agree with u then there opinion is pointless. If u dont want people to disagree with u dont come on a board where people are going to give u advise right or wrong.
    What u meant and what u said are 2 dif things, sorry we are not mind readers. Also again u have changed ur story from not walking for a few days to maybe not walking.

Advertisement