Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed dog for apartment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

mary123 wrote: »
    What u really mean is if someone doesnt agree with u then there opinion is pointless. If u dont want people to disagree with u dont come on a board where people are going to give u advise right or wrong.
    What u meant and what u said are 2 dif things, sorry we are not mind readers. Also again u have changed ur story from not walking for a few days to maybe not walking.

I'll take on any advice that I get, your just going on and on about nothing.
    Read your last post again, what am I supposed to do with that? Your just being sarcastic and nit picking for no reason.

Also again u have changed ur story from not walking for a few days to maybe not walking.

Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

How am i nit picking? What advice have u taking on? Had a whole lot written down here but have erased it all. Have said all im going to say. At the end of the day u have been advised by, just not me but by others, a dog at this time is not for u. Until u can give that animal wherever it is a dog, cat. mouse 100% then please think again. Like i said before which u have not addressed a bored dog will be come a distructive dog who will more than likely end up looking for a new home. Do u want this to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

Try this link: http://www.purina.co.uk/Home/All+About+Dogs/Your+New+Pet+Dog/Choosing+a+Dog/Dog+Breed+Selector.htm

It helps select the breed best suited to your circumstances. I'd be honest with yourself though - if it is possible that you would go a day without walking the dog, and that's really it's only exercise/toilet break, it's probably not a good idea.

I work full time and have 3 dogs, but I have a garden, so at least their mess is out there. Still have to walk them for 45minutes MINIMUM in the evening, otherwise they're, well, a bit mental. Pent up energy and all that. Same for most breeds I'd imagine.

The 'toy' type dogs are yappy a lot of the time, so what you gain one way doesn't work in another. Careful on the apartment rules, we rented an apartment and the entire block (for owners and tenants) was covered by a blanket no pets rule. Just cos someone else has one, doesn't mean that you'll get away with it, and it's not worth losing your home over!

All dogs need a settling in period too, and if you opt for a rescue, sometimes longer, which means you'd have to take time off (2 weeks minimum) to stay with the dog, gradually increasing the time you are apart to minimise stress. Anxious behaviours include peeing/pooping on the floor, whining/barking and tearing to shreds anything they can manage - try to imagine how you'd cope with your skirting boards, doors, handles, lino/laminate being chewed DAILY...

Also, if you do choose to get a dog then you need to be a fairly calm balanced individual, able to look at it as a dog and not a little person. Accidents will and do happen, and shouting at your anxious dog wont help - but believe me there are days I feel like strangling 1 or all of my 3!!

Regardless of which breed/age/size you get, it could be the best or worst case scenario, on alternate days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

Honestly I don't think that size or breed matters, I think there are just dogs that are happy to sleep all day until the owner comes home - and hold it until they are brought outside - and dogs that wreck the house and bark all day like mad (even if left in a back garden).
    Unfortunately if you get a dog from the pound you won't be able to know what's the dog like but maybe you can try with someone who is looking to rehome their dog. This way you'll know about the temperament and habits of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

charlesD wrote: »
    I think you need to work on your reading comprehension some. I said "I crate trained at first and now I can leave her alone..."

She mostly sleeps when I am gone, I had her on web cam for awhile, and rarely messes in the house when left alone for upwards of 12 hours.

Back up a second... She may not be confined to a crate, but I still don't think it's acceptable to leave any dog on their own for stretches of 10-12 hours plus at a time. :eek: She's a great dog if she's indoors all that time and doesn't usually pee or poo until you get home - poor dog holding on to it all for that length time. :(

Is she left alone for such long periods of time very often?

• Advertisement

mary123 wrote: »
    Agree wherever u have a King Charles Spaniel or a cavalier king charles spaniel i agree they are brilliant. But would u leave him in a house for up to 10 hrs aday alone with no walks.
    No, i walk him every day. only ever leave him for a couple of hours.
    Also have a cat, they get along well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

That Purina link is mental! Under "How long will your pet be alone for?" if you click "Under 30 mins a day" it's 55 breeds, but if you click "30 mins to an hour" it goes down to 24 breeds, and if you click "More than one hour" it plummets to only 5 breeds suitable!

I think even the most hard-core of us would agree that one hour alone is OK!

On-topic? Get a cat. At least he'll have a litter box and won't have to hold it in all day. If someone told me to hold it in for 8 hours I'd tell them to bog off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

but I still don't think it's acceptable to leave any dog on their own for stretches of 10-12 hours plus at a time. eek.gif She's a great dog if she's indoors all that time and doesn't usually pee or poo until you get home - poor dog holding on to it all for that length time. frown.gif

I am sorry you feel that way and I wish I did not have to leave her alone, but I do.

She gets plenty of love, attention, exercise, and has a very good mind state. She is a dog and she is trained to stay alone without messing in the house. This is her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I am sorry you feel that way and I wish I did not have to leave her alone, but I do.

She gets plenty of love, attention, exercise, and has a very good mind state. She is a dog and she is trained to stay alone without messing in the house. This is her job.

That's a nice way to dress up animal cruelty.

Before you go gasping for air now, yelp "injustice" and go on to type a defensive post ...have a little self experiment:

Lock yourself into a room,no distractions but food and drink and NO TOILET for 12 hours and then tell me that you were happy and content doing so and that you'd like to do that again tomorrow and every other day of your life...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I was brought up in a house of dog lovers and I would love to have a dog!

Both my OH and I feel very much the same.

We live in a very large Duplex apartment with NO garden. But we do live by the seaside and it’s right on our doorstep. Huge walks everywhere and I work days and my OH works evenings, which would mean that the dog would have company 24/7.

We discussed this situation over and over but in the end decided it was not fair on the dog because if our circumstances (work wise) changed in the future, the dog would be left alone and would have no access to get outdoors. This would be unacceptable!

I understand where you’re coming from; as far as wanting to have a dog but my advice; wait till you have a garden.

Well that what I’m doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Aren't greyhounds supposed to be ok for apartment living?

I have read that as they like their comfort and being inside, like sleeping a lot and don't need long walks (ie more than an hour), aren't high energy or particularly yappy, that they are good for the apartment scenario.

If the OP is, as he claimed later on, only going to be gone for a few hours at a time, and can come home to let the dog out for toilet breaks, then maybe he could provide a good home to a rescue greyhound?

Obviously - OP - you need to be absolutely sure of your circumstances. Your dog WILL need walking every day, you WILL need to be back frequently to let it out for toilet breaks and provide it company. If you can't do this, you need to seriously think it though.

Cats are great pets too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Thanks for all the input folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

peasant wrote: »
    That's a nice way to dress up animal cruelty.

Before you go gasping for air now, yelp "injustice" and go on to type a defensive post ...have a little self experiment:

Lock yourself into a room,no distractions but food and drink and NO TOILET for 12 hours and then tell me that you were happy and content doing so and that you'd like to do that again tomorrow and every other day of your life...

I don't need to do an experiment. I would not like it. I also don't like eating other animals poo, licking my bum (okay, maybe if I could... ;) ), rolling around on the ground, or eating dead animals that have been laying out in the sun for a few days. As much as I love my dog, and believe me I do, she is a dog and not a person. Attempting to personify an animal is a disservice to humans and to animals.

I would ask you to holster your emotions, which are in some regards admirable, and answer a few questions.

Where did I say that I leave her alone for 12 hours every day and will do it "again tomorrow and every other day of your life..." ?

Where did I say that I leave her alone for 12 hours a day on a regular basis?

Let me answer these questions for you. I didn't. I would suggest finding another windmill to bat at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Attempting to personify an animal is a disservice to humans and to animals.

Degrading a sentient, living being down to the level of a household appliance by claiming that "she's a dog, it's her job to stay quiet and not to mess up the house" on the other hand is simply inhuman, especially when coupled with the fact that you expect her to do so for 12 hours (and it doesn't matter how often or how rarely that happens)

Training a dog not to eliminate indoors and then not allowing it outside relieve itself for 12 hours is just wrong.
    If anyone were to do this to a human, it would be called torture ...but seenashow I have to be careful here lest I get accused of antropomorphism I'll just call it by its rightful name ...animal cruelty.

Now ...have a long, hard look at what you're doing to your dog and then change it !

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

get a english bull dog my friend has one and to be honest ive never seen the lazy git move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Dont think it matters what breed, its not fair on an animal to be left on there own for hrs aday, 5 days a week. I know people have to work but then i would get 2 dogs to keep each other company, which i know is prob not practical in a appartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

well i was in a simalar situation living in an apartment and really wanted a dog.I'm not working at the moment so everything was ok i wud have being with it all day but hope to be going back soon so it would be on its own.

so instead i looked after someones dog for them last week when they went away to see how we wud get on in an apartment,well he was just the best dog ever we had loads of walks everyday and cuddles at night he even slept on bed last night cos he was going this morning,

I shed a little tear when he went:( but i know how much work was involved minding him and i know i couldnt give enough time and attention to a dog when i'm back in work but hopefully i'll still see this dog from time to time i've offered to take him some weekends.I know every dog and everyones situation is different but i would advise anyone thinking of getting a dog especially in an apartment to look after someones dog first and see how much work it is.

I might even look into fostering dogs from rescues untill i go back to work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would advise looking for a dog at the pound.
    Try www.dogsaid.ie

Advertisement