Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk: Overnight and into Saturday 16th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

It is ridiculously dark here, torrential rain again and loads of flooding around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good to see the weather is Ireland is keeping up well!

Abit disappointed i missed these big floods though, is it unreal?

Meanwhile in Praha it is 15c and lashing rain so it feels just like home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Celbridge is getting an absolute drenching for the second Saturday in a row...chucking it down for about an hour now after lighter rain all morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Rain rate increasing here - pretty heavy atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Torrential
    9mm in 15 minutes and clap of thunder. Above 30mm for day

• Advertisement

Rain rate now 70mm/hr

Its certainly increasing here. Very heavy rain atm.

Edit: 70mm/hr - thats bad.

80mm/hr
    10mm last 15minutes
    Daily total 37mm, but I think AWS underrecording a little

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mothman wrote: »
    80mm/hr
    10mm last 15minutes
    Daily total 37mm, but I think AWS underrecording a little
    My AWS is at 14.7mm while the manual gauge has 18mm.

I think the wind is blowing horizontal across the AWS myself personally so is under recording here myself. Manual gauge at 4" ( inches ) above ground and is a wee bit more sheltered from the stronger winds.

Just checked it as the rain has died down a bit there, see what your own gauge is like and compare the two.

Getting brighter here. Might be clearing now actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

was just out at Rathmullan, Donegal - 30 knots with gusts up to 40 i would say. Rain lashing down too with little visibility.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Getting brighter here. Might be clearing now actually.
    Don't speak to soon, the heaviest rain yet is just over me.
    51.8m/hr, i say it be with you in 5mins

Edit 82.3mm/hr

Downpour here now......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Pretty nice here at the moment, the sun is shining!

That sounds bad. Try and get some pics if you can. Should not be much more rain in those areas the front has already cleared.

Should also be clearing Dublin area shortly aswell. Rain has practically stopped here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Rain here torential here in the North county. Looks like a rerun of last week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just back from Wicklow, pretty atrocious driving conditions with roads flooding everywhere. In Rathnew I saw a manhole with water exploding upwards out of it! Incredible. There was a car broken down on the bridge just before Ashford forcing me to have to take the backroads with some serious hairy floods..lots of aquaplaning etc :)

Rain total total so far today 57.2mm, probably not much more left looking at the radar, still a pretty reasonable total!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Supercell wrote: »
    Just back from Wicklow, pretty atrocious driving conditions with roads flooding everywhere. In Rathnew I saw a manhole with water exploding upwards out of it! Incredible. There was a car broken down on the bridge just before Ashford forcing me to have to take the backroads with some serious hairy floods..lots of aquaplaning etc :)

Rain total total so far today 57.2mm, probably not much more left looking at the radar, still a pretty reasonable total!

Live in Ashford myself, many patches in the village are under the water, never seen it this bad. My driveway is flooded, so is patio, and even flooding in the back garden...unreal. Doesn't look like stopping either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

is tomorrow expected to be worse? watched a few forecasts and looks like a huge rain front heading in from the Atlantic for tomorrow.

clown bag wrote: »
    is tomorrow expected to be worse? watched a few forecasts and looks like a huge rain front heading in from the Atlantic for tomorrow.

Does not look like the rain will be as heavy and it should move through more smartly then today. Might be some heavy showers on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mushy wrote: »
    Live in Ashford myself, many patches in the village are under the water, never seen it this bad. My driveway is flooded, so is patio, and even flooding in the back garden...unreal. Doesn't look like stopping either.

Suns out here , rain just cleared, should dry up there in the next hour probably in Ashford.
    I've never seen flooding like it either, I saw some poor sods out putting sandbags outside their house as a torrent washed past their front door in Annamoe village. All this water has to go somewhere, flooding going to get worse for a while down slope :(

You can see the clearance nicely on my webcam, the demarcation line is very sharp.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The usual sting in the tail again.
    21.3mm and lashing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

just seen a flash of lightening here in north dublin and huge rumbles of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just thought i heard and saw thunder and lightening on the northside of dublin anyone confirm?

Rain is torrential

AWS is almost spot on today. 48mm since midnight.
    2nd highest on record (Nov 99) 53mm to beat though doesn't look like much more to come..

Had 23mm in an hour, another record.

It has stopped.....

My internet connection has been poor this week with long outages, so website updates with long gaps at times.

24.1mm since midnight.
    Air is still moist with low cloud around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I only had about 17mm since midnight but gauge is well sheltered and I don't know how accurate. Still, an awful lot less than last Saturday around here - no flooding in the garden or on the road today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nirelandguy

We have flooding up here in Northern Ireland, It has rained heavly non stop from last nite, there couldn't be any rain left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

alot of flooding in Dun Laoghaire, just back from a stroll around. Seafront is closed off as is the road along side the Peoples park.
    Most severe though is the DART line along the metals which is more akin to a canal at the moment, Ive never ever seen it like the way the it is now. And theres a commuter train stuck in the middle of it with loads of people on board! Crazy stuff!
    Was raining contantly here since around 7 last night, only eased up in the last 2 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

DART line in Dun Laoghaire at 17.00 today

phone008we9.th.jpg

phone007uy3.th.jpg

You cant really see but the water is actually flowing fairly fast. Sorry i couldnt get a photo of the train thats stuck, couldnt get a good shot!

Advertisement