Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what do you think makes a good teacher?

• 10-08-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice based on your own professional experiences as teachers. I finished my BA two years ago with English and Gaeilge which I really enjoyed. Ever since, I've been procrastinating over what I want to do and teaching has come to mind on numerous occassions. I already have had a few days observing in a primary school and have decided that it is not for me because I don't want to teach the abcs but something more detailed. So now I am thinking about secondary school teaching. I've heard so many negative things about this area that I already have doubts before I even enter the classroom but the reason I would love to do it is because I am an idealist at heart and would love to at least try and get others interested in reading and our national language. The thing is, I'm not sure if I have a personality that would be suited. Although I am passionate about my subjects, I worry about my ability to communicate this to others and in a way that is simple yet effective. I wonder if these should be kept as interests rather than a possible career path? Could you learn more about communication skills on a course or is it something that a person would have to have naturally? Really what I would like to know is what do you think are the personal characteristics is best suited to teaching? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mathemagician

Hi there. Interesting and difficult question. Being a teacher and having decided to get out of the profession, I'm not sure if you'll want to read this in case I bring too many negatives to the table. From my experience, first and foremost, you need to like teenagers. This is an extraordinarily difficult thing to do. I was a bit of an idealist too. I really loved my subject (and still do). I looked at teaching in terms of the subject rather than in terms of the students. A definite prerequisite is that you are passionate about your subject but it's not nearly enough. Passion for a subject can diminish rapidly once exposed to the ravages of a bunch of hormonal teenagers. So, if you are passionate and if you like teenagers, then maybe teaching is for you. If not, then it's not. Definitely get some exposure to a classroom environment before committing to anything. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How long is a piece of string to be honest, there could be so many ideas but in reality it takes all sorts. E.g. you can get the roughest looking guy coming in the door thinking whats he doing here but could be the best teacher while the sharpest suit doesn't always mean best. Also depends on who you teach regarding discipline etc. Its just too wide an area to answer but what you really need to be doing is not (over) analysing the situation and try it through subbing for a few weeks, its really the only way. Any comments here are just views and believe me, mine have changed in all my years teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Passion, consistency and a sense of humour! Respect for students and a real understanding for students of all abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Patience :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sense of humour, consistency, knowing that the students will teach you much more than you could ever teach them. Being willing to admit you're wrong when you are helps too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

spurious wrote: »
    Sense of humour, consistency, knowing that the students will teach you much more than you could ever teach them. Being willing to admit you're wrong when you are helps too.

+1

have you tried to get some sub teaching to see if you actually like being in a classroom?
    i went back to do my HDip after 3 years working. Like you it was something that i had been considering for awhile but wasnt sure about my capablilities as a teacher.

Getting some practical experience will help you separate your idealistism from the reality, and see if you still want to do it.

Advertisement