Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in Lucan...

• 10-08-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Does anyone know the extent of the damage from the flooding yesterday? The flooding under the bridge near Dodsboro and the village was crazy. I was on a 25 bus coming home from town the bus driver refused to try and go through the flood. Instead he did a U-turn by reversing into the Annadale car-park. I've never seen anything like it...

I know Tesco and the surrounding shops were pretty badly hit. Heard that a lot of the stock in AD's Pharmacy was ruined. They were trying to clean the place this morn. Anyone know of any other damage? It could have been a lot worse. Hope no where was too seriously damaged.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah was heading down from Finnstown to the traffic lights last night around 6.30 turning right at the traffic lights and the road was flooded pretty bad so on the way back I cut down by Arthur Griff park and down towards superquinn to avoid the flood on the way back. Was going to head to blanch today but gave it a miss as I'm sure the backroad via the village would have been flooded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

courtneys and kennys took their usual hit from the bad weather. in saying that it's no-where near as bad as it was 15 years ago when a heavy rainshower would burst the griffeen and flood the village.:eek:

lord lucan wrote: »
    courtneys and kennys took their usual hit from the bad weather. in saying that it's no-where near as bad as it was 15 years ago when a heavy rainshower would burst the griffeen and flood the village.:eek:

That was like nine years ago flooding actually hit as far up as finnstown and Johns Wood, got a bang on the door at around 5 in the mornig and it was the neighbour couldn't believe the road outside was like a river water level rose up near to the door but didn't flood thank God, although those across the road weren't so lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

That was like nine years ago flooding actually hit as far up as finnstown and Johns Wood, got a bang on the door at around 5 in the mornig and it was the neighbour couldn't believe the road outside was like a river water level rose up near to the door but didn't flood thank God, although those across the road weren't so lucky.

was that the time there was killing over developers having built some of the new estates at the back of finnstown on flood plains but strangely failed to mention it until after the fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

lord lucan wrote: »
    was that the time there was killing over developers having built some of the new estates at the back of finnstown on flood plains but strangely failed to mention it until after the fact?

yeah it was, flood plains of the griffeen,

when i was younger it was called the plots, and i imagine there was never anything on it because it was a flood plain,

they did do a lot of alleviation work since the last time, kind of took away from the parkland, i wonder was it a success this time?

or does it just push the problem down further along the line

• Advertisement

we might find out very soon as more heavy rain forcast for the coming week

Advertisement