Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband 24MB Line

Options
  • 10-08-2008 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

does any1 actually have this service? and can they confirm a sizable increase in their dl and upload speeds? esp wondering bout the clondalkin area. am considering changing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved from Charlesland/Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

307291501.png

Upgraded from 8Mbs last week in Dolphin's Barn and working fine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

nice. its the ping im lookin for. gettin ave 100 atm. useless really for playin fps. like playin css so think i may invest in a bit of that. thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Considering changing from Smart's 8mb to BT's 24mb for roughly the same price, but im concerned about their "fair usage policy" Does anybody know their unofficial cap that would make them throttle your speed ?

Cheers,
    CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Tell smart you're changing, there's a possibility they may match the price for you.

Also, remember your line won't support 24mbit, most max out at about 16 - 17 mbit/s. It's not necessarily the quality of Irish lines, rather just that telephone lines can only support 24mbit/s if you actually live in the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

tbh im jsut lookin for a better latency. the latency on the eircom lines since the upgrade are just pissin me off. since i use it mostly for games and that. according to vunderground he's less than half the latency im gettin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

@vunderground

What is you theoretical upload speed supposed to be, 1Mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 23261 Kbps 1019 Kbps
    Noise Margin 5.6 dB 11.6 dB
    Line Attenuation 23.0 dB 10.2 dB

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

anyone on the summerhill one,

i was move to it today but am only syncing at 8mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

What price is it?

• Advertisement

same as the 7.6 line, about €45 a month

lol check my SNR, cant belive it

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8125 828
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 14.60
    Line Attenuation (dB) 20.40 9.70
    CRC Errors 0 0

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Ok, Don't all shout the answer at me, because I am just a lowly writer and have no clue about pings and dings and all that jazz.

But is your ping speed only relevant to game playing, I have only ever watched my download and upload speeds, and even though I get told its 3.6mps its nothing near it, hence I am thinking of changing.

Any help or answers much appreciated.

Thanks

B:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

For Gamers

Lowest Pings -> Smart + Magnet, expect ping times to be around 10 ms or less, and excellent european pings.

Decent Low pings -> ADSL1 packages on 3MB and less. Expect 15 ms or less to irish servers. Recommened Eircom or BT.

Decent Medium/pings -> BT 24MB ADSL2+ , expect around 24/25 ms pings to irish servers ( I would put NTL in this bracket too but from my experience avoid them for gaming, massive routing and capacity problems)

High pings -> DSL Higher than 3MB, expect ping times to a irish server to be in the 40ms

avoid wireless and mobile connections.. Not reliable and for the most big ping times.

Hey Nuxx

Could you suggest who would be best for just plain and simple decent speeds.
    I use my internet for transferring files, a little bit of download and constant connection to g mail and my a little psp torrent.

I have a 3modem but it is sooooooooooooooooo slow even pulling up my gmail takes an eternity.

It doesn't even have to be a mobile broadband anymore, the only reason I got mobile to start with was that broadband was not available in my area.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bellapip wrote: »
    Ok, Don't all shout the answer at me, because I am just a lowly writer and have no clue about pings and dings and all that jazz.

But is your ping speed only relevant to game playing, I have only ever watched my download and upload speeds, and even though I get told its 3.6mps its nothing near it, hence I am thinking of changing.

A simple overview is look at pings as the lower the value the faster you can send data. This is important to gaming. If you're not a gamer don't worry but if you're not getting close to your max speed, look at changing anyway.

There's a lot more to ping than that, I just figure you don't care. :D

Hey Paul,

There's a lot more to ping than that, I just figure you don't care. biggrin.gif T

Emmmm. You might be right, swooory. :pac:

B.

Bellapip. Don't use 3.

Realistically broadband over phoneline (Smart, BT, Eircom) or cable (UPC) are probably your best bets. I use UPC and am happy with the product.

Digiweb also have some good products.

Paul,

My contract with 3 is up at the end of the month, hence my plan to move.
    UTV seem to be offering the best deal so at the moment I am swaying (in a non drunken fashion) towards them.

Thanks for the advice.

bellapip wrote: »
    Paul,

My contract with 3 is up at the end of the month, hence my plan to move.
    UTV seem to be offering the best deal so at the moment I am swaying (in a non drunken fashion) towards them.

Thanks for the advice.

There's a lot to consider in these. Do you use your phone much? You could look at getting UPC (phone and broadband) or UPC broadband with someone like http://www.blueface.ie

UTV may suit for what you need but cable can work out cheaper. I have cable and wouldn't look back but UTV may be more suitable for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Was with UTV about 2 years ago and I'd advise you to stay well clear. Connections were constantly dropping and it was impossible to reconnect, literally I'd have to just give up and try again the next day. They also cut you off at the cap and thats only if you tell them in advance that you do not want to exceed the cap, otherwise you get charged per mb (and they do actually charge you!). Their tech support are downright rude and it took me 8 months to switch to BT because UTV refused to give them the cancellation number thing (forget what its called) and everytime I called them they told me they hadn't received my emails and no record of me calling blah blah blah.... I finally got out of it by writing to them via registered mail and "on advice of my solicitor" all correspondence back should be in writing (I didn't really go to a solicitor). Sure enough they cut me loose.....man what a complete shower of nordy cowboys.

Whoooa,

Thanks Paul and thank you too Joseph. . . I will have a look at the link Paul and will most certainly put your advice on my cons list Joseph.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you choose not to pay then UTV do cut you off after the cap, presumably that's what a cap is for. But this is only relevant to the minority of people who exceed caps. Other people can choose the unlimited option. They do warn you by email if you are coming close. i have found them reliable enough, but like all resellers if your line is dodgy you may have problems. Be aware that they effectively have a disconnection fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Anybody on the Terenure exchange been upgraded yet? Their website lists my line as qualifying, but last time I checked (last night) my router was still reporting an 8mbit speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

nuxxx wrote: »
    For Gamers

Lowest Pings -> Smart + Magnet, expect ping times to be around 10 ms or less, and excellent european pings.

Decent Low pings -> ADSL1 packages on 3MB and less. Expect 15 ms or less to irish servers. Recommened Eircom or BT.

Decent Medium/pings -> BT 24MB ADSL2+ , expect around 24/25 ms pings to irish servers ( I would put NTL in this bracket too but from my experience avoid them for gaming, massive routing and capacity problems)

High pings -> DSL Higher than 3MB, expect ping times to a irish server to be in the 40ms

avoid wireless and mobile connections.. Not reliable and for the most big ping times.

I think I must have one of the worst at the moment. IBB, 3MB, pings are always 150-200, its wireless to the house so id imagine thats why with the pings but even download speeds are horrible. Ive tried contact IBB for support but its a waste of time. Does anybody know if any of the better services are available in the Navan area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

nuxxx wrote: »
    For Gamers

Hi just one thing, if you are on a BT LLU2 exchange you can lower your ping by ringing BT tech support and asking them to change your modulation from interleave to fastpath.

As long as you have a decent enough line they should have no problem in doing that...

Although you shouldnt be needing it as pings are good enough most of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

Can anyone please tell me the correct settings for a modem/router on BT's 24Mb enabled exchanges?

I'm on Merrion and should be at 24Mb since last Saturday. I just got a ADSL2+ modem today (Linksys WAG160N) but it's only syncing at 8124/507 (down/up). (This is the same as I was getting with my old Prestige 623R that Esat gave me years ago which is only capable of 8Mb.)

Here's what I'm using...
    Encapsulation - -PPPoE
    DSL Modulation - ADSL2+
    Multiplex - LLC
    VPI - 8
    VCI - 35
    Connect on Demand - yes

It's the one in bold that I'm not sure about. The options are MultiMode, T1.413, G.dmt, G.lite, ADSL2, ADSL2+, ADSL2 L, ADSL2 M or ADSL2+ M, but I'm not sure which to pick.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

I have a draytek Vigor 2820vn, lots of options on it too, but the only one to get me the best sync is:

ADSL2+(G.992.5)

"ADSL2+ Annex M" was a disaster and I couldn't sync at all, the others were all about at least 1-3megs lower sync.

If that is of any help to you. I'll played a lot with it too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

I have a draytek Vigor 2820vn, lots of options on it too, but the only one to get me the best sync is:

ADSL2+(G.992.5)
    Cheers for that pilotsnipes. I'll give them a shout on Monday to make sure the line was set for 24Mb. The people on support at the weekend said they can see my line is definitely at least 8Mb, but that a "Second Level" tech has to check whether it's set for 24Mb or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

tripswitch wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me the correct settings for a modem/router on BT's 24Mb enabled exchanges?

I'm on Merrion and should be at 24Mb since last Saturday. I just got a ADSL2+ modem today (Linksys WAG160N) but it's only syncing at 8124/507 (down/up). (This is the same as I was getting with my old Prestige 623R that Esat gave me years ago which is only capable of 8Mb.)

Here's what I'm using...
    Encapsulation - -PPPoE
    DSL Modulation - ADSL2+
    Multiplex - LLC
    VPI - 8
    VCI - 35
    Connect on Demand - yes

It's the one in bold that I'm not sure about. The options are MultiMode, T1.413, G.dmt, G.lite, ADSL2, ADSL2+, ADSL2 L, ADSL2 M or ADSL2+ M, but I'm not sure which to pick.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there. It seems you are still on a 8mb profile, give tech support a call on monday and ask them to check if you were upgraded or not.

Advertisement