Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband 24MB Line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this has already been asked here but didn't get an answer. Can anyone give details on bt's fair usage policy? I called bt and they said i now have no limit but the online usage calculator says i'm over my limit. They say it's wrong and to ignore it

the problem there is that last month i was throttled for going over this mythical fair usage limit so i'd like to know what this limit is if i'm going to be penalised for going over it. Their suggestion seems to be that i'll find out when my internet stops working

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Agghh getting freaked with pings etc ...I've just been upped to 24mb but I top out at about 10.4 on speedtest. My ping is always around 62ms ..these are the stats from my modem anyone got ant ideas how to shake a bit more from BT

adsl.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    this has already been asked here but didn't get an answer. Can anyone give details on bt's fair usage policy? I called bt and they said i now have no limit but the online usage calculator says i'm over my limit. They say it's wrong and to ignore it

the problem there is that last month i was throttled for going over this mythical fair usage limit so i'd like to know what this limit is if i'm going to be penalised for going over it. Their suggestion seems to be that i'll find out when my internet stops working
    100gb is the actual limit. Whopper thread about it here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

a clanger wrote: »
    Agghh getting freaked with pings etc ...I've just been upped to 24mb but I top out at about 10.4 on speedtest. My ping is always around 62ms ..these are the stats from my modem anyone got ant ideas how to shake a bit more from BT

adsl.jpg
    You are getting exactly what your line is capable of. connecting at 12237kbps * 85% (adsl overheads etc) = 10401.45kbps which is what you are getting off speedtest.net

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yep at your limit there, not going to be able to get anything more on that line.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys 10.4mb isn't that hard to live with:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Rang BT on friday to check if I could get the 24mb service. I can but as im 4.01km from the exchange the guy said the speed would only ever reach 1mb. Im doomed to useless IBB Breeze.. :(

Now I really feel better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 magill sanchez

I was upgraded the other day, I'm on the Dolphins Barn exchange. The thing is when I run a speed test, my results are basically the same as when I was on the 8mb connection, the only thing I have noticed so far is a better upload speed for gaming etc. but download speed still no noticeable change.

I rang BT and got no real answers to why this is, when I mentioned the speedtest.net results the polish guy on the help desk responded like a fecking robot by saying your line is upgraded and that BT are not responsible for speeds to and from websites... anyways take a look! anybody having the same issue?

311044366.png

40838824ol8.jpg

I was upgraded the other day, I'm on the Dolphins Barn exchange. The thing is when I run a speed test, my results are basically the same as when I was on the 8mb connection, the only thing I have noticed so far is a better upload speed for gaming etc. but download speed still no noticeable change.

I rang BT and got no real answers to why this is, when I mentioned the speedtest.net results the polish guy on the help desk responded like a ****ing robot by saying your line is upgraded and that BT are not responsible to speeds to and from websites... anyways take a look, anybody having the same issue!

311044366.png

40838824ol8.jpg
    Speedtest.net is NOT RELIABLE!

Go download a large iso or something off heanet and see what speeds you get.

• Advertisement

"Go download a large iso or something off heanet and see what speeds you get."

Dont see anything where it says check your broadband speed! Just a barebones website with a couple of folder directories if you could point the way!! I got similar results from IrishSpeedTest if not worse so I dont know!

speedtestif1.jpg

Dont see anything where it says check your broadband speed! Just a barebones website with a couple of folder directories if you could point the way!!

:rolleyes:

Click this link and see what speeds you get.

"Click this link and see what speeds you get."

580kbs download speed from that link :rolleyes:

580kbs download speed from that link :rolleyes:
    That means you are getting a download speed from HEAnet that is even slower than speedtest.net.

580 (kilobytes / second) = 4640 kbps

Have you tried resetting your router?

"That means you are getting a download speed from HEAnet that is even slower than speedtest.net.

580 (kilobytes / second) = 4640 kbps

Have you tried resetting your router?"

I've reset the router but no improvements so any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

your modem is syncing at 16mb so you are being provided with the upgraded service

Baneblade wrote: »
    your modem is syncing at 16mb so you are being provided with the upgraded service

Exactly but I'm not able to avail of it... abit like sitting in a ferrari and not being able to drive it, anyways I just got a call back from BT seems my line isn't capable of supporting the upgraded speed at the moment so bare with it for now til they improve it and/or downgrade my line....... or go for 20mb NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Anyone on the Blanchardstown exchange having problems with their BT 24MB connection.

When the upgrade happened, i was connecting at 18Mb and getting the full speed out of it.

Over the last week, my connection has been going down about twice a day and i have to restart the router. It is now connecting at 13Mb but actual speed is only half that.

At one point last night it was running at about 100KB .

Shane

Hi lads.

Bit of a strange request. Im making a php script to log into the voyager 2110 router (i think the 210 has the same interface too) and bt usage stats and give you all the info you need on one page (line stats, downloads and live usage from the router etc)

I do need however the unaltered html source code (dont change ANYTHING) from the bt stats of a user who has gone over their monthly allowance and a user who has been throttled.

Otherwise the script would fail if it encounters any of these conditions.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I havent a hope of going over the limit so thats why im asking others. It isnt for usernames or anything.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chiefo

Got upgraded to BT's 24meg service on the 9th of this month, that comfirmation letter they sent was the best hangover cure ever. I use bittorrent a lot (like many others so dont go slinging mud), and recently showed a flatmate how to use it to get some programs she needed. Hey, unlimited broadband, what's the worst that can happen?

Yesterday, this happened:
    bt.jpg

Which resulted in this:
    312819941.png

I am in deep emotional pain. Never, EVER show a girl how to use bittorrent.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I do need however the unaltered html source code (dont change ANYTHING) from the bt stats of a user who has gone over their monthly allowance and a user who has been throttled.

Hey there,
    As ya can see above, i can send ya that html page. Just wondering why you need the username? Quell my fears and it's yours.

chiefo wrote: »
    Hey there,
    As ya can see above, i can send ya that html page. Just wondering why you need the username? Quell my fears and it's yours.

Na i dont need the username at all. Just replace your username with USERNAME in the source. I'm just looking for the layout and and structure of the page.

Thanks

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html
    PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"&gt;
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml&quot; lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US"><head><title>DSL</title>
    </head><body><center>
    <table border=1 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0 width=550>

<tr><td align=center bgcolor=navy>
    <font face="verdana, arial" color="#ffffff" size=2><strong>
    August Summary for username</strong></font>
    </td></tr>

<tr><td colspan=2 align=center><font face="verdana, arial" color="#ff0000" size=3><strong>You have exceeded your download limit for this month!</strong></font></td></tr>
    <tr><td colspan=2 align=center><font face="verdana, arial" color="#000000" size=3><strong>Your usage has been throttled due to overuse.</strong></font></td></tr>

<tr> <td align=center bgcolor="#d0d0d0">
    <table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=5>
    <tr><td>
    <font face="verdana, arial" size=2><strong>
    Logins</td><td> 29
    </strong></font>
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td>

Offpeak Traffic</td><td> 25159 minutes
    </strong></font>
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td>
    Peak Traffic</td><td> 9596 minutes
    </strong></font>

</td></tr>
    <tr><td>
    Data uploaded</td><td> 86.74 GB [93138340086 bytes]
    </strong></font>
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td>

Data downloaded</td><td> 114.67 </font>
    <font face="verdana, arial"> GB [123121469695 bytes]
    </strong></font>
    </td></tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr><td align=center bgcolor="#d0d0d0">

<a href="/cgi-bin/sec/dslhistory">Click here for history</a></strong></font>
    </td></tr>

</table>

</body></html>

Apologies for the delay, was lookin at ways to upload this, however I couldn't be arsed and went with this way. Hope it helps, will your script be available to the rest of us when ya finish it?

BT still throttling me after 3 days, it's very much like being made stand in a corner by a corporation. What do they expect to happen after they send me a letter saying they've trippled my speed and removed my cap.

Apologies for the delay, was lookin at ways to upload this, however I couldn't be arsed and went with this way. Hope it helps, will your script be available to the rest of us when ya finish it?
    It will of course.
    BT still throttling me after 3 days, it's very much like being made stand in a corner by a corporation. What do they expect to happen after they send me a letter saying they've trippled my speed and removed my cap.
    It is a rolling month so expect to be throttled for a good while yet.

You have transferred over 201GB. You will be unthrottled when your usage drops below 100GB. :o

You have transferred over 201GB. You will be unthrottled when your usage drops below 100GB. :o

Erm, cheers!

So is 100GB definitely the limit, or just an educated guess? In their fair usage policy they say there's no hard and fast limits, but from dealing with them for some time now, hard and fast limits seem like their kinda thing.

So is 100GB definitely the limit, or just an educated guess? In their fair usage policy they say there's no hard and fast limits, but from dealing with them for some time now, hard and fast limits seem like their kinda thing.
    Educated guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Month: August
    Uploads: 12.43 GB
    Downloads: 55.72 GB
    Total Transfer: 68.14 GB
    You have 31.86 GB of transfer left in this 30 day period before you get throttled.
    TRANSFER LIMIT EXCEEDED.

I like the last line.

I am on the LLU product so it shouldnt tell me that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hummm... so does your actual usage stats from bt say exceeded or overuse any where on the webpage? Cause transfer limit exceded or throttleed will only show up on my script if it does. See the conditions for it being shown in the source above.

Does the usage stats for the LLU product look any different to the non LLU usage stats? I assumed they were all the same.

Hello!

Just before anyone says anything I am saying this as a regular user only, you should be careful with this tools. First the principle in which a customer is throttled is incorrect and second, people or even BT might think you are trying to obtain bt's usernames/passwords...

I know you have the best intentions but just be careful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark20

its 65.95 a month and can only guarantee you 24 mb in SOME areas all other its 7mb.waste of money seen as im gettin 20 mbs for 40 euro a month off NTL and its brilliant dont need a landline so nio line rental either

Advertisement