Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband 24MB Line

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Can someone answer this please...

According to the BT website I can avail of the 24Mb speed on my exchange. The question is though, do I have to wait for the upgrade to 7.6Mb before I can get the 24Mb speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

kleefarr wrote: »
    Can someone answer this please...

According to the BT website I can avail of the 24Mb speed on my exchange. The question is though, do I have to wait for the upgrade to 7.6Mb before I can get the 24Mb speed?
    FFS as has been said time and time again the 7.6mb 'upgrade' by eircom and its resellers is completely separate from BT's own 24mb rollout. So just order the 24mb if it's available to you.

rc28 wrote: »
    FFS as has been said time and time again the 7.6mb 'upgrade' by eircom and its resellers is completely separate from BT's own 24mb rollout. So just order the 24mb if it's available to you.

Thanks.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Knew it was too good to be true. :(

Just got off the phone to BT and they checked the line. Confirmed that I was on the right exchange but they said my line wouldn't handle 24Mb, only up to 8Mb as it was either too far from the exchange (I'm only about 1.5-2 miles away) or the telephone line was bad. :(

They said they would put the upgrade through and it would take 10-15 days and wouldn't cost any more. They sent me a link to confirm the order, but when I saw the price it was more.

I pay €70.24 for the 3Mb as I was upgraded from the 1Mb a few years ago, but the price they quoted on the email link was €42.00.

So I may as well wait for the Eircom upgrade I guess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

kleefarr wrote: »
    Knew it was too good to be true. :(

Just got off the phone to BT and they checked the line. Confirmed that I was on the right exchange but they said my line wouldn't handle 24Mb, only up to 8Mb as it was either too far from the exchange (I'm only about 1.5-2 miles away) or the telephone line was bad. :(

They said they would put the upgrade through and it would take 10-15 days and wouldn't cost any more. They sent me a link to confirm the order, but when I saw the price it was more.

I pay €70.24 for the 3Mb as I was upgraded from the 1Mb a few years ago, but the price they quoted on the email link was €42.00.

So I may as well wait for the Eircom upgrade I guess. :(
    Umm no are you insane?? Take one look at this broadband forum and you would be mad to wait for the eircom 7.6mb 'upgrade'. It trebles your pings, making browsing appear really really slow, gaming impossible and VOIP laggy. Go with the 8mb!

Take a look at the following and click on the link that compares the packages with Eircom's. You could just go with the option2 package of 6mb and save:
    http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_totaltalk.shtml

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote: »
    Umm no are you insane?? Take one look at this broadband forum and you would be mad to wait for the eircom 7.6mb 'upgrade'. It trebles your pings, making browsing appear really really slow, gaming impossible and VOIP laggy. Go with the 8mb!

Good point.
    I've completed the order for 8Mb.

Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

got my upgrade sorted at last and apparently i get 18mb up to my house and there is an internal problem limiting me to 8mb? meh, not too pushed. what does bother me though is that when i play online (WoW) - i get complete lagouts but only in the game, doesnt happen with msn or gtalk and i need to restart my router to regain the connection. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pingala

splinter wrote: »
    got my upgrade sorted at last and apparently i get 18mb up to my house and there is an internal problem limiting me to 8mb? meh, not too pushed. what does bother me though is that when i play online (WoW) - i get complete lagouts but only in the game, doesnt happen with msn or gtalk and i need to restart my router to regain the connection. any ideas?

i'm on BT 8Mbps, in Blanchardstow and since the upgrade date i haven't been upgrated to 24Mbps and i'm having continous disconnections problems. My line goes down every 30-40 minutes.. have opened a ticket with BT and they said there is a problem at Blanch Exchg, now it is two weeks and the problem is still there. More than likely i'll cancel the subscription and try Smart or NTL if i don't get it sorted out this coming week.

anybody has experienced anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

pingala wrote: »
    i'm on BT 8Mbps, in Blanchardstow and since the upgrade date i haven't been upgrated to 24Mbps and i'm having continous disconnections problems. My line goes down every 30-40 minutes.. have opened a ticket with BT and they said there is a problem at Blanch Exchg, now it is two weeks and the problem is still there. More than likely i'll cancel the subscription and try Smart or NTL if i don't get it sorted out this coming week.

anybody has experienced anything like this?

Do your stats show you can support the speed? Constant dropping may be as a result of low snr margin.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pingala

Do your stats show you can support the speed? Constant dropping may be as a result of low snr margin.

MC

How do i check this?

this is from the modem (hope it is readable):

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
    Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:00:03:48
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 9159 Kbps 1019 Kbps
    Noise Margin 6.1 dB 8.8 dB
    Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 23.7 dB
    Output Power 12.8 dBm 0.0 dBm
    MSGC (number in overhead channel data) 70 12
    B (number of bytes in Mux Frame) 244 127
    M (number of Mux Frames in FEC Frame) 1 1
    T (Mux Frames over sync bytes) 1 1
    R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame) 10 6
    S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length) 0.8525 3.9851
    L (number of bits in PMD Frame) 2393 269
    D (interleaver depth) 32 8
    Delay 6 msec 7 msec
    Super Frames 14056 13411
    Super Frame Errors 6 0
    RS Words 1068276 228684
    RS Correctable Errors 2018 0
    RS Uncorrectable Errors 61 0
    HEC Errors 5 0
    OCD Errors 0 0
    LCD Errors 0 0
    ES Errors 0 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

MC

Sorry to bring up old thread but,

Is there anyway of checking what speeds my line is capable of? at the moment I get about 5MB down on a 6MB connection but the BT guy said I would only get 7.6MB on the 24MB connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

If you are on one of the unbundled exchanges you will be upgraded to 24mb next month for free anyway.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12761/comms/broadband-stakes-are-upped-as-bt-reveals-24mbps-service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

If you are on one of the unbundled exchanges you will be upgraded to 24mb next month for free anyway.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12761/comms/broadband-stakes-are-upped-as-bt-reveals-24mbps-service

i am on the dolphins barn exchange. in theroy 24mb, I sync at 12 mb
    lucky to get 6mb down.

i am lucky. I sync at 18.5 and get the full 18.5

I found that out today, how can I find out what I sync at?:confused:

I only know the settings on a netopia. Go to http://192.168.1.254

Thanks how does this look

Downstream
    Connection Speed 6143 kbps
    Line Attenuation 32.0 db
    Noise Margin 5.6 db

On Speedtest my download is about 5100

To me those figures look like I should get a good speed on the 24MB upgrade but I'm not to sure. How do they look ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

made the move last week from eircom, net stopped today... looked at sync and getting 20mb so assumed change over tookplace, changed router settings to work with bt as bt one hasnt arrived, put in username...but is the password the uan number??? do i need call customer support to activate? who do i call there? they mailed saying it was set to changeover in june... willt hey force me to wait?

It's your username and password that they gave you when you signed up.
    If they haven't given it to you yet, you may get it with your modem, or you could ring and see if they'll give it to you over the phone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

got it... sucky speed tho, tho i think thats the routers fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement