Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel EGR valve

Options
  • 10-08-2008 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Just saw this in another thread that Opel petrol engines have EGR valves. I always thought only direct injection petrol engines had/needed EGR valves?

Why would an old fashioned petrol engine need an EGR valve? And does this mean that Opel petrol engines give all the associated emissions trouble that Mitsubishi GDI engines do, and do they produce particulate emissions too(I suspect that they don't because AFAIK the reason DI petrol produces PM is due to the direct injection process but it's worth asking the question anyway)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote: »
    Just saw this in another thread that Opel petrol engines have EGR valves. I always thought only direct injection petrol engines had/needed EGR valves?

Why would an old fashioned petrol engine need an EGR valve? And does this mean that Opel petrol engines give all the associated emissions trouble that Mitsubishi GDI engines do, and do they produce particulate emissions too(I suspect that they don't because AFAIK the reason DI petrol produces PM is due to the direct injection process but it's worth asking the question anyway)?

Well the US Spec Ford Capri MkII of 1974 had an EGR valve (and I assume all engine from that era also had)... make of that what you will.

I assume re burning the exhaust gasses just generally help and reduce emissions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

lots of cars have egr valves - they help clean emssions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Nearly every car nowadays has an egr valve. As well as reducing emissions the inert exhaust gases allow more advance on the ignition timing producing more power and reducing detonation. However, on a diesel engine the only advantage is emissions. Thats why I've disabled it on every diesel car I've had, having seen some high milage inlet manifolds!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Why would an old fashioned petrol engine need an EGR valve?

What do you call old fashioned petrol engine? The CIH to me is an old fashioned engine by todays standards but some of these have EGR valves. My 20E has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

atlantean wrote: »
    What do you call old fashioned petrol engine? The CIH to me is an old fashioned engine by todays standards but some of these have EGR valves. My 20E has one.
    Indirect injection = old fashioned:D!(FWIW my car has this old fashioned set-up)

What kind of Opel have you got? Cam in head suggests it's something 20-35 years old, so I'm guessing you've got a Manta?(though it could have been a Rekord, Monza or Ascona too)

• Advertisement

Indirect injection = old fashioned:D!(FWIW my car has this old fashioned set-up)
    I see what you mean
    I
    What kind of Opel have you got? Cam in head suggests it's something 20-30 years old;)!
    86 Manta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

86 Manta.
    Has it got an old fashioned engine or a relic from the days before humans existed(i.e. it is a carb or an injection model):D?

Has it got an old fashioned engine or a relic from the days before humans existed(i.e. it is a carb or an injection model):D?

Bosch direct injection but looks like it was guntered on!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My old 99 Corsa had an EGR valve...I know because there was a problem with it that meant I bunny-hopped along the road before getting it to the garage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Bosch direct injection but looks like it was guntered on!
    direct? not sequential multiport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I wish my car didn't have an EGR valve.:mad:

Advertisement