Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move away from Eircom

Options
  • 10-08-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hello guys.

I dont post much on this forum but i read it alot.

Im currently residing on eircoms 2mb home packahe paying 30 euro a month. Over the weekend got upgraded to 3mb. Thought it was great, until I realised the offers going around other internet providers.

I currently pay 30 euro a month for a 3mb line. 20 gig cap
    BT can offer me a 24mb line for 40 euro. no cap
    NTL/Chorus can offer me a 20mb line for 40 euro a month. no cap

Basically I'm just looking for some info, i never really looked into the other isp's as ive been on eircom but i think it might be time for a move since the speeds some people get are amazing.

Are NTL and BT reliable?
    Are these speeds accurate and REAL?
    Are there any monthly caps and do they punish them?

Im in the swords area and can avail of all these speeds.

Just want some advice from those in the know before i make the switch cause i have heard problem with people from ntl, but Bt broadband looks very promising.

Thanks in advance look foward to learning what i should do

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I thought Swords was Chorus land not NTL land ....and I dunno if cable BB is available....but I believe that BT have upgraded the Swords exchange and possibly Smart too.

You seem to forget you pay €26 line rental and €30 bb every month which is €56 a month where Smart and BT include line rental in their figures as far as I know and where Chorus do not charge line rental but _may_ still require that you take a TV package as well as BB , I know NTL do not .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

even more of a pro to move away from eircom

ive been with eircom years, even took up their original BBpackage that cost 120 a month for a 512k line, and for all my loyalty ive nothing to show for it.

Ive investagated an ntl and bt are available in my area, BT 24 line is available to me which is very good looking.

Just wanted some feedback before i made the switch from people who are in the know, it seems like a no brainer but i didnt want any suprises

just looked onto bt website again and it seems line rental is not included in their price

so there 24mb line is actually 42.50 plus 26 euro line rental which brings it to 68 euro a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

make sure if you make the move to BT that they put your line on there equipment in the exchange or you will be just on Eircom's resold dsl and won't get the 24 meg speed , plus the speed you really get will depend on your Eircom phone line .

i have BT's option 3 pack for around €66 per month which includes line rental , call's and broadband , but they just resold me Eircom broadband and never moved me onto there own equipment in the exchange even though i have asked several times to be moved .

i got the eircom speed upgrade over the weekend and went from 3 meg to a massive 4 meg download speed :( , so i'd have no chance of getting any decent speed due to my line quality .

as for UPC ( Chorus / Ntl ) , you can get there broadband on it's own with an extra fee of €6 per month . so it would be €46 per month for the 20 meg speed.

Advertisement