Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repairs for NCT

Options
  • 10-08-2008 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. My brother has a 1999 vintage Nissan Micra, which has developed corrosion on the underside of the door sills. It is due for NCT shortly and he has bought Isopon and mesh etc to repair it. I'm not sure if NCT will accept filler as a repair in an area like this and will require something more substantial. Anybody any ideas before he goes to the trouble of filling it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Maybe a pic of the corrosion might help with the replies but if it's a structural part / component, then filler wont do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Assuming it's only surface rust rub it down and remove all traces of oxidisation, apply rust remedy, and prime it (spray can will do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

This is the first time I've attempted to paste pics on boards so apologies for the quality. The corrosion extends about 18 inches along the sill, mostly to the rere of the door, penetration is about 1/4 inch at it's worst.

th_028-1-1.jpg
    th_030.jpg
    th_027.jpg
    th_026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A pic from further back would be a bit better.

Anyway, I'd say just sand off all the rust, fill with isopon, sand well so that it matches what would have been original, prime and paint.

It should be ok.

I had a similar problem with an almera, rust had gone rigth through the bootwell at the sides. NCT man spotted it and just said to fill it and bring it back for a visual inspection. It worked no bother.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Thanks for that. I suppose we might as well have a go seeing as he's bought the stuff already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement