Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humpy 100 next Sunday

Options
  • 10-08-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Any hardy souls doing this 5 climb extravaganza next Sunday,starting in Carlow and taking in some real swines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I hope to do this should be good training a week before the sean kelly tour. Didnt get to make it to the kildare tour as my lift decided that it was too far of a drive in the morning for a 100km cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

just had a look at the info on this event and after a quick read, no I certinaly won't be doing it!
    would love to be able to though.
    It sounds like just the kind of event a lot of people on here are into ... anybody going to go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Carlow start is really the only negative for me, I'd do it if it were a bit closer. If anyone is driving down from Dublin and I could hitch a lift I would certainly consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Blorg, ill happily give you a lift, only problem is you,ll have to wait at the end for me to finish,ive seen the destruction you can wreak on the hills,maybe take a book with you to read while your waiting for me to finish,if that suits then pm me and we can organise that.

Daymobrew,thanks for the properly edited version.

• Advertisement

bunnygreen wrote: »
    Blorg, ill happily give you a lift, only problem is you,ll have to wait at the end for me to finish,ive seen the destruction you can wreak on the hills,maybe take a book with you to read while your waiting for me to finish,if that suits then pm me and we can organise that.
    I might well take you up on that, IIRC you finished ahead of me on the Tour of Kildare so not sure who'll be doing the waiting :D

Just lucky on Sunday,got away with a group early enough, got dropped very quickly and then managed to hide in another group that came and snaffled me up, ,could'nt share any pace making and hid at the back until the end,suffered badly,lads said the sprinting for the finish started at roundabout just before the end, anyway if you still fancy it on Sunday the offer is there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

i could be persudaed into driving / taking a lift down.

anyone else heading down to this?? i should get down if the weather is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Still undecided...

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Still undecided...

Yes im the same, dont know if im going till the morning

E@gle. wrote: »
    Yes im the same, dont know if im going till the morning

I've decided: I'm in. So is RogerB, A.K.A. "Fast Roger"

I've decided: I'm in. So is RogerB, A.K.A. "Fast Roger"

yes im in as well, so should be there in the morning

Dunno if anyone else from here went down, but RogerB and myself did. I'm glad I went as it was good fun. Some of the descents were brutal because of all the rain lately. The roads were badly cut up and there were stones everywhere. The rain held off, which was a bonus. I think the field was over 50 people. I clocked 95km in 3hrs 35mins, so nothing blistering. Got a puncture with about 30km to go, but that time isn't included.

Sounds like a good one. Myself and emty were wavering yesterday but were sort of shocked out of it by the weather on our spin yesterday :( Went out for a spin around Kildare/Meath instead at I am sure a more relaxed pace, although emty was pushing it in places. All geared up for the Sean Kelly next weekend I hope!

I was there as well had a diaster of a ride.

Firstly one of lads in the club punctured about 4k in and we turned around to get him, we tried to time trial back to the buch then muy speedo fell off into a ditch, found it quickly and headed for the first climb and then i crashed cut my hands, elbow shoulder, hip, knee and legs. so bandaged myself up and headed up the first climb. Then coming down mount leinster my bottle cage fell off and my bottle burst on the grounf. So left them both there.

Arrived at the first stop for about 2 mins and headed off. Then i got lost went about 5 miles in the wrong direction so stopped and waited to see if anyone would come along so i headed back the way i came.

So was about the worst day of cycling ever for me

I was there as well had a diaster of a ride.

So was about the worst day of cycling ever for me

Oh no, that sounds awful. Sorry to hear that. Were you wearing a black and red kit? I think I saw you arrive into the feed stop all covered in cuts.

Oh no, that sounds awful. Sorry to hear that. Were you wearing a black and red kit? I think I saw you arrive into the feed stop all covered in cuts.

aye that was me, its actually a lot more painful now than it was then must have been the adrenline keeping me going, can hardly walk now, going to get elbow x-rayed tomorrow because its killing me. Doesnt look good for sean kelly next week.

What did you think of the decents?? some of them were very very risky

Sounds like you'll be stiff as a poker tomorrow. Best to get it checked out, as you say. Hopefully it's not serious.

On the first mini descent, it was slippy: I was fish-tailing all over the place.
    Then the main descent off Mount Leinster was nuts. I've never seen a road like that before. The guy at the start said it was like an earthquake had hit, now I know what he meant.

Some of the sections of gravel and stones that covered the roads defied belief. It was as if the mountains just puked up. Some sections were like rivers, I'm glad I wore the over-shoes.

I was very nervous on the descents nearly had some other near accidents, there seemed to be lots of mechanical problems lots of flats and chains snapping.

• Advertisement

I was very nervous on the descents nearly had some other near accidents, there seemed to be lots of mechanical problems lots of flats and chains snapping.

I heard one guy got 3 punctures. Saw a few others also.

Thaks for the link, my head features in the first pic

I'm all in black, bang smack in the middle of the second picture. RogerB is in Orwell kit to the left of me as you look at the picture.

ah i seen you at the start and thought damn i should have brought my knee warmers as well, but it wasnt too cold in the end

Also if any one finds a bottle cage a bottle and a pump on the decent of mount leinster you can keep them

I pulled them off for the second half as it was getting warm. I'm usually wearing more kit than everyone else at the start. I feel the cold when I'm hanging around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I pulled them off for the second half as it was getting warm. I'm usually wearing more kit than everyone else at the start. I feel the cold when I'm hanging around :)

It's cos you have less *ahem* natural insulation than others

It's cos you have less *ahem* natural insulation than others

That might be something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Can't believe they still took the route coming down Mt. Leintster!!! Did they tidy up this road yet?? The reason I ask is I was doing a Tour about 4 weeks ago and came down the decent of Mt. Leinster came off the bike and broke my collarbone!!

I'm still on the mend here. But I have to say some decents on hills and mountains these days are just shocking. There is no raod there anymore!!

• Advertisement

shapez wrote: »
    Can't believe they still took the route coming down Mt. Leintster!!! Did they tidy up this road yet?? The reason I ask is I was doing a Tour about 4 weeks ago and came down the decent of Mt. Leinster came off the bike and broke my collarbone!!

I'm still on the mend here. But I have to say some decents on hills and mountains these days are just shocking. There is no raod there anymore!!

I was talking to a guy in a Stagg Cycling jersey and he was telling me about two guys who broke collar bones there a few weeks ago. Maybe he was talking about you?

There was stuff all over the road, but I thought someone said it wasn't there the other day. The road itself was all cut up with what I can only call "ripples" all over it.

Are there other routes off the hill?

Advertisement