Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humpy 100 next Sunday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

shapez wrote: »
    Can't believe they still took the route coming down Mt. Leintster!!! Did they tidy up this road yet?? The reason I ask is I was doing a Tour about 4 weeks ago and came down the decent of Mt. Leinster came off the bike and broke my collarbone!!

I'm still on the mend here. But I have to say some decents on hills and mountains these days are just shocking. There is no raod there anymore!!

If anything i'd say the decent was even worse this time, there was loads of rocks and mud on the roads due to the heavy rain. I crashed even before mount leinster so i was fairly nervous on the way down.

Sorry to head about the collarbone but now you can say your a real rodie :pac:...

Get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Thanks for the well wishes folks. I'm making a good recovery and should be on the road again in a few weeks. I'm on the turbo trainer as it is, small bit sore after an hour or so but getting there.

My accident happened on 20th July. 25 riders took part in the Blackstairs 150k Challenge. Out of that 25, 2 had fallen on the decent towards Ballymurphy side of the mountain. I broke the collarbone the other chap had loads of cuts on the hands, legs and arms. Now 2 out of 25 is a lot on a sportive day if you ask me!!

The road is unbelieveable after the cattle grid, in fact there is no road. I've never seen tar folded on top of itself before. Just great big lumps of tar missing from the road and holes about 6 to 12 inchs deep.

Someone mention about their bottle coming out of it's cage over this. I was actually slowing down when I saw what was in front of me. When the shaking started my bottle full of water jumped out of the cage and about 50 yards later when I was nearly stopped the front wheel went straight into a hole and I went over the top. I dread to think what would've happened if a car or something was coming up the way!!

As far as I'm aware the Tour of Ireland are taking this route down in a weeks time!! :O

There are a few ways off the mountain. After you come over Corbutt Gap from the Carlow side and go down about 200 yeard to turn over to the Nine Stones. Insead of this you can go straight down and you'll get to Bunclody.

So, I don't think we can trust any decent from a hill or a mountain these days folks. It's just way too dangerous.

Advertisement