Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

result etiquette

Options
  • 10-08-2008 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

:pac: Is there proper etiquette that one should follow after opening the results..If I do well should I run around screaming...or nod modestly...If I do crap ( which is quite inevitable ) should I break down sobbing...rip my hair out in fit of hysteria or light a match whilst cackling to everyones results?? Or if anyone has any better ideas.....:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I for one think that it is more polite to hold in your excitement. Cos there is people crying everywhere, I think it would only make them feel worse tbh.... but then again, it is the leaving cert results. If I do do well i probably won't be able to help dancing about a bit. But that's only cos I have to get them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

If you are that worried about upseting people look at them online.
    At the end of the day the big celebrations will come after the offers(well I think it is) like you could get what you wanted but still not get your place.
    Have fun and don't be so pessimistic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

be happy!!! and celebrate and smile for pictures, unless there's someone who u know wanted to do well and tried to do well did bad then try not to make a scene! =D

i'm thinking of just leaving after i get my results no matter wat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

If you do well you best act really smug and say "Pfft, so easy".

If you don't do well you best act really smug and say "Pfft, so easy".

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

yeah that's a tough one alright, but it's not like you have to open them infront of everybody is it? And if you're ecstatic about them , you can you outside and flail your arms and happy dance etc.. and if you're devastated you can hit the pub hard.

hey, how are they actually given to you? Because friends of mine who did it last year said they were told " Louise 495" straight up, instead of being handed a statement of results first.. wah wah wah see i dont really need to know , or want to know, but anything to discuss D-day is therapy now.. god almighty i can't stick these few days leading up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Don't bother getting your results. Just wait 'til the following Monday to see if the lovely folks at the CAO have given you a place. :)

Don't bother getting your results. Just wait 'til the following Monday to see if the lovely folks at the CAO have given you a place. :)

That is actuallly good advice Square. Saves all the hasle of people asking you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Nosey Randomer: "Oooh what did you get in the exams?"
    You: *apathetic shrug* "I dunno"

Yep, that would definitely work well! :pac:

Nosey Randomer: "Oooh what did you get in the exams?"
    You: *apathetic shrug* "I dunno"

Yep, that would definitely work well! :pac:
    Nosey Randomer:you must know.
    Me: *shrugs*600?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

People cry for so many reasons on that day, do whatever feels natural. I remember walking away to open mine and then returning 5 minutes later when the shock subsided. Best of luck to ye all, just remember there is always a way to get where you want to, you may just have to get a connecting flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

1) Get results.
    2) wish everyone all the best, tell people I'll see them later and to come out regardless. "Ah you've earned it" and such lines.
    3)Out to car, open results.
    4) Tell the old man how it went.
    5) Hopefully stop for (one) father/son pint in the local on the way back, regardless of how it went.

I don't want to open them publicly, sure I'm not alone in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ah OP, you'll be too "in the moment" to think about that on the day. i was over the moon and couldn't hold it in. I kept shouting 4 A's and 3 B's. Of course, the one subject i progressed to uni with was my favourite and i did the worst in that in my leaving. Leaving cert. piss easy. a memory test. Good luck at uni ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tyson12

imagine getting someone else's by mistake and they like fail maths or something (or u fail it). how awkward would that be!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I won't have to worry about that because my results are being opened around nobody else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think I'm going to get mine and go hide in a corner/bathroom/bush somewhere to open them. Though, for my JC a teacher took the envelope out of my hand and opened it for me, I hope that doesn't happen again. After the depression subsides (I just KNOW I'm going to be disappointed) I'll return and whatnot.

It's difficult to know what to do though. Obviously if you do well you want to be happy for yourself etc., but if other people are crying around you, it's extremely bad form to go rubbing your success in their face. At the same time, if you do well, surely you're entitled to be happy. You just have to do it with tact. Or find other happy people and go and be happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm definitely- DEFINITELY not opening them around anyone.
    But if i do alright I'm going to saunter back with a big smug grin on my face and terrorise weaker students.
    It can't be denied that targetting the dismayed and weak would make for great craic! I say go for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bythewoods wrote: »
    But if i do alright I'm going to saunter back with a big smug grin on my face and terrorise weaker students.
    It can't be denied that targetting the dismayed and weak would make for great craic! I say go for it!

Oh yes, karma will love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

I didn't get my results til about 11.30am. I wanted to avoid the morning rush with everyone asking you what you got! My mate (who's dad was one of the teachers in our school) rang me to see had I collected them and informed me that her dad said I had done great and not to worry :eek:Talk about taking the fun away!!

There were only 3 envelopes left when I collected mine. I went in on my own (boyfriend at time drove me) got them, read them and almost died of shock. Burst into tears and walked out to the car. He thought it was bad news when he saw my face. I rang my mother and father to let them know and just headed out for the day!! I think you are better off being on your own, its a private thing.

I got my results 9 years ago and my husband is driving his little sister to collect hers on Wednesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Whimsical

Best of luck to her !!! :) *Chuckles* brill advice all..really in tune with human emotions ...I think I'll try a bit of everything...You know nano second moodswings...:D I've tried to practice a smug face...My sister says I look like a deer caught in headlights..That should do nicely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

bythewoods wrote: »

Ha, as spurious says, Karma will not like that one bit! You'll end up bitterly dismayed when the offers come out the following Monday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Don't be the muppet who after being dumbfounded by their results implies anyone who gets under x amount of points is a retard.

Obviously whether you want to tell people or not is up to you but in my school (all boys) when we got them, anyone who tried got a fair amount of abuse for having a lack of testicles so be warned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rm_2008

im checkin my results on the net its gunna be disgusting having to wait til 12 pm. im just gunna keep clicking refresh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

On the morning:

1)... 8.30am, me agus BOB will be filling up with fat from Mc D's.

2)... Cruise over to school in Bobs veh-hicle.

3)... Go in, get results, either be happy or not(hopefully happy)

4)... Find out what my other cronies got.

5)... Go feckin mental for the rest of the day.

yeah, that sound good to me :D

WSB

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Btw, when does the irish times/independent issue the points for courses this year? I remember last year it was just before the offers...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Go down with everyone, open them , have a laugh with everyone, go to the pub :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

It can't be denied that targetting the dismayed and weak would make for great craic!

:rolleyes:

rough time in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The best feeling for me if I get the points I wanted will be seeing them on the page and then looking up at the school knowing I'll never have to return again. It's over at last.

So now for a year of studying.

Good luck everyone getting yer results on wednesday. Be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Speaking as a person who broke down from crap results last year trust me, the people weeping wont even notice if your celebrating, its like the world collapsing in on you and nothing else matters to them.

If you get good results celebrate, you'd deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Whimsical

Drodan don't be so hard on yourself....Results are just a figure....You obviously worked hard in 6th year...exams can go wrong for all kinds of reasons...Gosh I'd say we all achieved heaps turning up 4 the exams...Believe me I nearly had to be glued to the chair :D Go out and celebrate this year... YOU DESERVE IT !! :) That is an order :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Imo, it'll be part of the experience. I spent most of my time around these people for the last 5 years (no TY) and I have no problem being around them on wednesday.
    The people who matter to me, I'll congratulate and console them where neccessary, the others will get respect (where deserved) and any appropriate...sentiments.

I want to be with my friends as we open our envelopes (proverbial or literal).
    I've been friends with a few guys since we were 5, if any of us get dodgy stuff, we'll be considerate, but I don't think anyone should be ashamed of their own results just because their friend is disapointed. And vice versa.

Anyhoo, enough crap from me, best of luck to ye all, hope ye get what ye want, and what ye deserve :)

Advertisement