Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

result etiquette

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I might open mine when I get home, I know I didn't pass maths for sure and I don't wanna be there to listen to people getting A's all over the shop ! Happy for them as I'll be, it'd still be uncomfortable in the end. Or I'll open them on the walk home or something, when I'm on my own at least !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm going in with my mates, picking up the envelope and opening by myself in a corner somewhere. If they ask how many points I got I'll tell them. I'm sure I'll also thank/smite some teachers!
    As for nosy relatives and neighbours, "I'm happy" or "I got what I needed" will suffice.

And then onto the party. Oh yes, the party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

Not sure what's considered appropriate, got mine last year, and I did the following:

Was given the envelope by the principal when I walked in. My mates already had theirs, they seemed happy.
    I had planned to open them alone, but once I actually had the envelope in my hands I couldn't wait another second, ripped it open.
    Before I scanned the page, my eyes went straight to my English result, which I wanted the A1 in more than ANYTHING.
    Got a B2, was devastated, didn't even look at the rest until my friend made me.
    Then I was delighted cos I realised I was 50 points over what I needed and started slightly bouncing.

Whoever corrected my Leaving Cert was an idiot. I went up 50 points in rechecks. (20 in English alone)... if in doubt, get a recheck, turns out I actually did get my A1 in English!!! If you feel you deserve a higher grade, you probably do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Eegah

I'm really hoping for an A in English. I almost got a B1 in the mocks with absolutely no clue about Paper 2 - I wrote about 8 pages in total for that one. For the real thing I swatted up like hell - tonnes of quotes and technical devices, good narrative flow, good understanding - so it went swimmingly and I wrote 25 pages in total...

Honestly I don't know how I'll act on Wednesday. It's going to be surreal, that's all I know. I actually feel quite night before Christmas-ish at this point. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I got my results in the post, but I didn't know that they were the results at the time. Got this big grey plastic envelope, opened it and saw the recheck form. Told my dad there was nothing to worry about and went off to the shower. WHen I got out he was sitting at the table in shock and went "I think these may be your actual results, don't worry you did really well it was all As and a G" So first I got really annoyed at him for looking at the first something along the lines of "Nooo you weren't supposed to look." Then I had to explain that the As referred to Ard and not grades. Very funny really.

As for what to do, your friends will be pleased for you if you do well. I just remember getting hundreds of texts that day. And meeting lots of people in town. Get excited if you want to, cry if you want to. It's a long hard slog to the end so emotions tend to run high in both directions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

All the cool kids don't bother getting their results and just wait so see what the CAO offers them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Eegah wrote: »
    I'm really hoping for an A in English. I almost got a B1 in the mocks with absolutely no clue about Paper 2 - I wrote about 8 pages in total for that one. For the real thing I swatted up like hell - tonnes of quotes and technical devices, good narrative flow, good understanding - so it went swimmingly and I wrote 25 pages in total...

Honestly I don't know how I'll act on Wednesday. It's going to be surreal, that's all I know. I actually feel quite night before Christmas-ish at this point. :p

Yeah thats the way I feel aswell its kind of weird im not really nervous as much as I am excited(probably because im going to a certain marlay park gig)

Jeese 25 pages for paper 2 I wrote about 20 pages for papers 1 and 2 combined...although my writing was small....i'm actually quite confident for english

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Do you have to add up the points yourself or are they written at the bottom of the sheet? I don't want to have to add them up there and then, ill probably make a mess of it with the nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Adam08

1huge1 wrote: »
    Do you have to add up the points yourself or are they written at the bottom of the sheet? I don't want to have to add them up there and then, ill probably make a mess of it with the nerves.

Yeah you do.

My buddy made the mistake of giving 5 less points for each subject, it was after a couple weeks before he realised he actually got an extra 30 points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

When I see people getting all emotional (i.e eh....crying) I don't know if it's best to leave them alone or go over and talk to them. I think I'll be in and out of the school in 10 minutes, grab the envelope- a quick 'best of luck' job and out the door. Open them somewhere quiet.
    All the cool kids don't bother getting their results and just wait so see what the CAO offers them

Ha ha, trying to imagine that results night.
    "Did you get the points"
    "HAVEN'T A BLOODY CLUE,WOOOO!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

I'm getting mine in the post this year so I won't have the situation of dealing with other people, just my mam if I did crap again!!

Do you think that postmen throughout Ireland will get to work really early tomorrow because they'd know so many people are waiting for results? God I hope so, missed mine today and couldn't bribe him, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Its been 8 years since I got mine but most of my class got them while we were away.

some did better than others but there wasn't anywhere to hide.

TBH if i got my results in the school and did well I'd go mental cos i worked for them and i deserve to!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

crap, the old phone calculator will be put to good use in the morning so.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

And for the love of God guys, add up your points properly!! In the sheer adreniline rush/excitment of it all mistakes do happen, trust me!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

going up at 9:20 collect my results..open them in a field which i pass through on the way home..not looking forward to it at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

rm_2008 wrote: »
    im checkin my results on the net its gunna be disgusting having to wait til 12 pm. im just gunna keep clicking refresh!!

we can get em at 12 2night with da internet details we got ages ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

In my school last year my principal read them to us in private...he had worked out our points for the CAO and everything...total mood killer when I found I was really short of my no 1...but I'm lovin the course I'm in now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

1huge1 wrote: »

CLick this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Cateym wrote: »
    I got my results 9 years ago

Looks like the Leaving Cert forum has just been infiltrated by the older generation. To the hills!!!

Advertisement