Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nose picking

Options
  • 10-08-2008 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

My son, 4 1/2, picks his nose. Its not VERY often, but enough (IN PUBLIC) to make me embarrassed. I know all kids do it, but was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to say to get him to stop other than - "DONT DO THAT!". THAT doesn't seem to be working.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The more you tell him to stop the more likely he will continue to do it (babys as you know have no rules) and to him it's a natural thing to do , so you might just have to wait till he grows out of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gvie him a tissue and get him to blow his nose, explain to him how it's rude, sometimes you just have to keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

a small punishment would do the trick, no playstation for a day or no dessert for a day would soon sort it out. its a habit so best to nip it in the bud asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭God Of Radio

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Gvie him a tissue and get him to blow his nose, explain to him how it's rude, sometimes you just have to keep at it.

Good idea. He KNOWS its rude, but seems a little defiant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

All the more reason to make a rule and stick to it, if you let them away with the small things then it will snowball.
    remember youre the person in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Leave him be.

All kids do it, as do a lot of adults.. If you make an issue of it he will continuously do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

My parents used to tell us the story about Joe Quigley, he was a little boy who picked his nose even though he was told not to. One day he had picked it so much it came off his face. The doctors couldn't do anything to put it back on as he had picked the inside away so much, poor Joe was left with a hole in his face as a result.
    That stopped us picking our noses pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Leave him be.

All kids do it, as do a lot of adults.. If you make an issue of it he will continuously do it..

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭God Of Radio

kizzyr wrote: »
    My parents used to tell us the story about Joe Quigley, he was a little boy who picked his nose even though he was told not to. One day he had picked it so much it came off his face. The doctors couldn't do anything to put it back on as he had picked the inside away so much, poor Joe was left with a hole in his face as a result.
    That stopped us picking our noses pretty quickly.

Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

My son, 4 1/2, picks his nose. Its not VERY often, but enough (IN PUBLIC) to make me embarrassed. I know all kids do it, but was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to say to get him to stop other than - "DONT DO THAT!". THAT doesn't seem to be working.

HA HA HA, i heard a good solution to that the other day and i tried it on my 3 1/2 year old .... he stopped immediatley.

Simply put .. tell him if he picks his nose his "winkey" will fall off. Convience him of this and keep a serious face.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Tell him not to do it in public. Tell him there are some things you do in private and not in front of other people, and nose-picking is one of them.

And... this is probably a pishrogue, but check him for intestinal worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Simply put .. tell him if he picks his nose his "winkey" will fall off.

Isn't that supposed to be a fear of little boys anyway? It is irrational of couse, but why stoke that fear? especially over something as inconsequential as nose-picking. (and would it be ok if a father told a little girl something bad would happen to her private parts if she disobeyed him? No, that would be weird and wrong, but a mother saying it to a boy is ok?)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have to agree that it's pretty inconsequential, unless it's at the table of something. I certainly wouldn't think twice if I saw a kid that age picking away.

I'm sure he'll stop doing it naturally when it become embarrassing to him.

Advertisement