Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how did we survive childhood

Options
  • 10-08-2008 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

just seen an ad where a mother cleans her childs hands with some antiseptic wipe after child touches bus handle and before eating some thing

we never had such things in childhood and we're still here, we went out playing all day long, didn't wear any padding when we took out our bikes and skate boards, we played in park sandpits and paddling pools with untreated water, got stung by nettles when playing in feilds, cleaned it with a gob of spit and a dock leaf, we had a slide in our local park that must have been at least 20 to 30 foot high,

yes we cut and scrapped, touched bus handles, rolled around the floor, long grass, etc etc etc, and it never did most of us any harm, in fact, propbably made us stronger, could be a reason why kids are so prone to illness now, their not exposed to things as much as we were

thoughts....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Let me dig out that "children of the 80s" email I've gotten 15 times in the last 18 months. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Doc leaves rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I have a particular child hood memory of wading through sewage, and there was a sudden drop in it at one stage, and my friend fell in up too his neck, and we had to call his parents to pull him out. They were very angry with us. It was a great adventure though.

Yup wading through sewage, beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Magpie! wrote: »
    Let me dig out that "children of the 80s" email I've gotten 15 times in the last 18 months. :rolleyes:

think i have a few of those emails floating around my self

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't ever remember wearing suncream when I was a child...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't ever remember wearing suncream when I was a child...

sunburn was good becuase it got your skin used to the sun

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Our parents were neither stupid enough not scared enough to accept the crap that modern parents read on Sky and see in the Sun/Star/Sunday World; and were neither stuid nor scared enough to actually beleive the advertisign crap around said products. No one needs 'wipes' but someone has to sell them.

It's not modern kids who are wimps, it's modern parents.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Ah there were always one or two kids with crazy parents who wouldn't let them share a fork or a spoon etc. because of........GERMS! Some kids were obsessed with germs. And no hairbrush sharing in case of.....NITS! There were always a few precious ones. They'll be dying out by now though. We're the strong ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

High fives all round! :D Hang on woah, let me get the wipes out first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I think we are becoming too antiseptic; we need a certain amount of germs etc in order to build up resistance to them. That's why I never wash*.

May not be 100% true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

boneless wrote: »
    I think we are becoming too antiseptic; we need a certain amount of germs etc in order to build up resistance to them. That's why I never wash*.

May not be 100% true.

You are doing your part to ensure all build up a decent immune system. Well done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

That's why I never wash.

in the interest of fairness ive ammended your post to only include the parts which are 100% true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

May not be 100% true.
    *takes the piss out of boneless*

Thank me too so! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Because we all ate muck, snails and pissed all over our hands and never washed them....now germs have no effect on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

We survived because we didn't know about the problems!
    Just the product of over protective parents..

Just like the recession really..(ya have to laugh really..people hear there's a recession happening and regardless if there is or not stop spending their money..thus causing a recession! :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Our parents were neither stupid enough not scared enough to accept the crap that modern parents read on Sky and see in the Sun/Star/Sunday World; and were neither stuid nor scared enough to actually beleive the advertisign crap around said products. No one needs 'wipes' but someone has to sell them.

...and they didn't have the disposable income that people seem to have for blowing on this superfluous hygeine freak BS products these days.
    Like any other child in the 70's I was brought up in terrycloth nappies, picked stuff up off the ground and ate it (after blessing it of course :pac:), played in the public playgrounds, parks, forests etc, all the while getting delightedly dirty and only managing to get caught for the bath on a weekend night...yet I'm still in control of most of my faculties, have all 10 digits, no sign of leprosy, river blindness, septicaemia or food poisoning...germs were only invented in the 80's apparently.
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It's not modern kids who are wimps, it's modern parents.

QFE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

raah! wrote: »
    I have a particular child hood memory of wading through sewage, and there was a sudden drop in it at one stage, and my friend fell in up too his neck, and we had to call his parents to pull him out. They were very angry with us. It was a great adventure though.

Yep, been there, done that. :) Reminded me of one of them adverts where the kids are playing hide and seek (UK telly for safety something or another). :/ Childer all bubble wrapped these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

A little bit of this is good for you! Builds your immune system.

Yeah, it also builds disease. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I didn't survive childhood. I've been dead for years.

My avatar is an actual picture of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Ah in fairness the wading through sewage was dangerous in any era!

In the mid-late 80s when I was in National School a few kids around the ountry drowned in open slurry tanks.

There was one just over the wall from the football pitch at our school. The amount of balls we lost in that damn thing (I always preferred being in goals at that end, noone would hit the ball too hard for fear of loosing it!)

The adult had us warned under pain of death to go nowhere near it. I think it kept my dad up nights worrying about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

*takes the piss out of boneless*

Thank me too so! :pac:

Not for asking. I'm sulking now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Our immune systems were much stronger back in the 80s when it wasnt fasionable to complain about ocd related ailments .I mean i had heyfever back then when it wasnt fashionable.

I still have it ;)

were are all the dock leafs gone ? Used to be you saw them anywere there were nettles .Has mankinds pollution killed them off to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

irish-stew wrote: »
    thoughts....

You'd be viewed as pampered, overly protected and spoiled by the generations that went before you. In school or playing all day when you should have been working on the family business/farm/mill/coal mine? Could be a reason why adults today are so prone to feckless, lazy behaviour, they were not exposed to hard work as much as we were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

In *my* day, we waded through sewage uphill. Beat that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I was at school, we didn't have one child in our class with asthma - not one.
    God bless the 70s.

I remember we would come home from a day's exploring and we would have so much dirt on our hands that when we flexed our thumbs it would show little cracks of white skin underneath the mud. We ate crisps with those hands and had a bath once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

latchyco wrote: »
    Our immune systems were much stronger back in the 80s when it wasnt fasionable to complain about ocd related ailments .I mean i had heyfever back then when it wasnt fashionable.

I still have it ;)

were are all the dock leafs gone ? Used to be you saw them anywere there were nettles .Has mankinds pollution killed them off to ?

they are still there,you're just blinded by pollen and can't see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

they are still there,you're just blinded by pollen and can't see them.
    Cool ,rather be binded by pollen than iggnorence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

How about those ads where some yoghurt drink or other promises to give your children the protection they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

spurious wrote: »
    When I was at school, we didn't have one child in our class with asthma - not one.
    God bless the 70s.

You just didn't have a name for it back then.

"Hey Lad's Wheezies turning blue again."
    "Just smack him in the back, that normally works." ;)

Another thing I dunno how we survived were playgrounds of the 80's. The slide in the playground where I lived had been set on fire numerous times. And I can remember in Ballymun there was a gas bottle fitted to two steel frames and you had to try run/keep your balance on it. Many a kid must have lost teeth on that. Wouldn't find that nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

latchyco wrote: »
    Cool ,rather be binded by pollen than iggnorence :)

wtf??

How about those ads where some yoghurt drink or other promises to give your children the protection they need?

they use the yoghurt container as a condom after drinking it.

Advertisement