Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how did we survive childhood

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Poccington wrote: »
    Doc leaves rule.

They always remind me of a friend I had who used to have to poop in the forest a lot. (We lived near a forest.) He would wipe his ass with doc leaves.

He'd then deny he ever pooped in a forest.

The following week he'd poop again and then deny it...

He was a bit weird though.

He once told me a dentist removed a poop from his ass. He was about 8 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

wtf??
    no worrys ,it's a play on word Blinded,as in mankinds iggnorence
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    They always remind me of a friend I had who used to have to poop in the forest a lot. (We lived near a forest.) He would wipe his ass with doc leaves.
    QUOTE]
    Imagine that's what armies did when they ran out of bog roll ,in fact i know they did

latchyco wrote: »
    Imagine that's what armies did when they ran out of bog roll ,in fact i know they did

His dad used to be in the German army. Probably explains it!

His dad used to be in the German army. Probably explains it!
    Which is why digging latrine holes for the troops is very important to prevent the obious spread of disease , but not always possible with an army on the move through enemy held territory such as forests

Which is why digging latrine holes for the troops is very important to prevent the obious spread of disease , but not always possible with an army on the move through enemy held territory such as forests

Thanks for that random fact.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks for that random fact.

:pac: :pac: :pac:
    In case they call you up ;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

irish-stew wrote: »
    yes we cut and scrapped, touched bus handles, rolled around the floor, long grass, etc etc etc, and it never did most of us any harm, in fact, propbably made us stronger, could be a reason why kids are so prone to illness now, their not exposed to things as much as we were

IMHO, that's very likely. We were allowed to build up resistances to common bacteria etc. but that doesn't tend to happen now.
    I say "we" but I have a terrible feeling that I should be saying "you" because I think I'm from that "surrounded by antiseptic, never allowed to come into contact with anything that couldn't be allowed in an operating theatre" generation.

Eventually people will learn. Unfortunately it'll probably be because the antiseptic soaps etc. will no longer be even remotely effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i remember my mates gardens had these weeds that were really sour,i mean really sour when you chewed the stem of them,well we used to eat a few a day when we were playing,many a dog had christened those i'd say :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Eventually people will learn. Unfortunately it'll probably be because the antiseptic soaps etc. will no longer be even remotely effective.

It won't matter a damn what we learn...all this diluted anti-bacterial soap, all the antibiotics we over prescribe in the farming and livestock production, all the non-essential hygeine products and their chosen active ingredients will only lead to generations of bacteria down the line that are resistant to both those substances and many analogous ones.
    It's one of the reasons you have so many iatrogenic infections and "superbugs" in hospitals, kill everything that poses a threat, you leave the field open for antyhing that was just that little bit hardier and survived to breed...life at the microscopic levels learns fast and adapts well to nearly everything we throw at it...given that a "generatrion" of bacteria can occur in a matter of hours, their strength for evolving coping mechanisms for all these chemicals that humans take years to come up with, I'd say we're fighting a loosing battle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Wertz wrote: »
    I'd say we're fighting a loosing battle...

I'd agree with you 100% on that. As the older lifeform they are superior in a lot of ways.
    We'll probably make a few more big discoveriers in the process of fighting them and promptly find newer badder bacteria as we do so.
    It's a vicious circle that ends with the bacteria handing us our asses. Hopefully not literally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

We were told to use horse chestnut leaves if available, as they are a natural antiseptic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Nobody ever questions the qualifications of doc leaves. Did we ever stop and think that that degree hanging on the wall probably isn't genuine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I survived my teens through furious masturbation,

Furious i tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Sure the advertising companies have gone down the 'Fear' route now to sell buckets of steam to the gullible parents.

Being in a recession (Ireland 1998 back!) puts what is 'essential' into perspective...

For instance! One of the tissue manufacturers are pedaling these wet wipes which are for freshening up the botty after you've given it a good oul wipe with ordinary tissue. The two-step wipe...

A Saturday for me as a lad consisted of, watching GraveDale High at about 7am, out with the football at 8 which would be played for about 10hours, come in with so much muck on me you could only see the whites of my eyes,be sent upstairs to was with soap and a facecloth and then get my tea and watch Challenge Anika.

Now they were good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

caoibhin wrote: »
    I survived my teens through furious masturbation,

Furious i tells ya.

Ah yes, but did you wash your hand(s) afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭ronano

pft antiseptic wipes! i remember when i was a kid,i fell into a slurry pit in the factories beside darndale and singed my eyebrows off when i lit an empty tin of vanish.

OH TO BE YOUNG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭ronano

Wertz wrote: »
    Ah yes, but did you wash your hand(s) afterwards?

dirty fecker doesnt wash them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I drank bleach once.... As being a greedy young child, I saw a lemonade bottle with a blue liquid in it. There used to blue cool pops that were called "Tutti Fruiti" flavour so I was delighted to see that they had turned it into a drink! Oh how wrong I was.....

But I enjoyed every second of that sour, burning sensation! Nowadays ya worry about kids chewing on the tele or their computers, maybe even a piece of the couch :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I used to get criticised by my family for having a shower everytime I milked the cows, claiming it was a waste of water and all I needed to do was use a cloth to wipe off the cowsh*t (like they did - the same cloth would then be rinsed and used to clean the worktops and wash the dishes!) and that one only needed to shower once a week for mass! BTW, we were rarely sick and I had my first antibiotic at 11.
    Our silage pit was situated next to a hayshed with a sloping roof. In the Summertime, we'd climb up to the top of the silage pit, then onto the roof up to the very top the slide down on our bums. We did this for many Summers. Then Dad replaced some of the galvanise sheets with perspex and one of our cousins fell through it falling 20 feet onto hard ground. By a miracle, he didn't suffer any injury! Consequently, Dad built a new silage pit away from this shed. Now I would have a fit if I saw any of my children on a high building like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

kelle wrote: »
    Now I would have a fit if I saw any of my children on a high building like this.

One of my pastimes as a child (was an only child and living in the country so not many other kids around to play with) was climbing onto the roof of the house via windowledges and front porches to sit up on the chimney stack to read my book. Can you imagine the absolute panic and terror if you passed a house with a child calmly sitting reading on the chimney nowadays?

Also I have fond memories of walking the dogs down the fields to a river, and happily hopping in for a swim, totally alone and unsupervised from the age of about 6 onwards. My grandad used to cut hedges in his garden with a "slasher" - basically a huge machete as this was before the advent of strimmers. I'd often be handed a spare "slasher" and be told to go help grandad cut the hedges. I was also allowed take my dad's trial bike out to go spinning about down the fields and through woods over streams and into quarries, bear in mind this was an ancient fullsize motorbike that weighed a ton and I couldn't reach the ground with my feet while on it, to come to a stop I'd have to jump off the bike and run along with it until it came to a stop and I could let it tilt over and fall on the ground.

Looking back on it, I think my parents were hoping to be rid of me without having to go to the bother of actually murdering me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I remember in the 80's on the day we were moving house the neighbours dog peeing on my sock and shoe. I went and told my mother that my sock was soaking wet with pee. She just said she was too busy packing boxes, so just forget about it and let it dry.

Lovely and hygenic!! But hey I survived!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Just imagine how much money the manufacturers of wipes make......
    Staggering, there are wipes for everything
    Face
    Arse
    Hands
    Babies
    Furniture
    Floor
    Leather
    Toilets
    Worktops
    Fridge
    Microwave
    Stainless steel
    Bathrooms
    Glass
    The list is endless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

punchdrunk wrote: »
    i remember my mates gardens had these weeds that were really sour,i mean really sour when you chewed the stem of them,well we used to eat a few a day when we were playing,many a dog had christened those i'd say :o

I remember them-smooth little leaves with a pale coloured stem. We used to eat them-the stem was the sourest. We called them 'juicies'.
    I remember my cousin and me exploring on my uncle's farm. She sank into a 'dunkle' i think they called it... anyway it was like a sewage pit. It was one of her legs actually right up to her bum. Horror! ( she was in a quare position there with one knee up at her ear and the other leg buried)I had to pull her out and fish for her sock which we washed in some water in a cattle manger.(Their drinking water-poor things)We thought we'd be kilt!! But we weren't. My auntie gave us doughnuts while her sock dried. Don't think we even washed our hands.:o

boneless wrote: »
    We were told to use horse chestnut leaves if available, as they are a natural antiseptic!!
    Indeed they are

Quote ANN 22 -( she was in a quare position there with one knee up at her ear and the other leg buried)
    Now if only digi cameras were around then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

yeah, but did the young wans have diddies?

oh and can we have another bored beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bought up in sw london, lived in a tower block, played on the comunial landing, went up and down in the lifts, the stair cases, could have been walking though anything, then once a little order, was allowed to go down the carpark and grass areas and play there

often sent to the shops to get a loaf of bread or pint of milk, had to cross a main road

if you fell at school, the nurse would just put some TCP on it (ouch) and a plaster

:eek:

fell off my bike at the age of nine and grazed my head of a brick wall, still have the scar, went to A&E, all i got was a tentus shot and sent home again, now adays, thats a 24 hr admission in case of delayed concussion

and when came over here on holidays, go to my grans house, spend the entire day playing in the feilds, dodging cow pacs, sheep droppings, we played in a rusted car in the field, which was probably left there by one of my uncles,

would go back to house and have dinner, and weren't allowed to wash to wash our hands, or if we were, we were told to share the basin of water, as there was no running water, it had to be got from the well, and that was all there was going to be got for the rest of the day,

and guess what, survived all of it

<phew>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

so did anybody find that link to that half funny email about growing up in the seventies/eighties etc..? i couldnt be arsed reading the rest of this thingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

flanum wrote: »
    so did anybody find that link to that half funny email about growing up in the seventies/eighties etc..? i couldnt be arsed reading the rest of this thingy!

its some where

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

remember my brother using a cow ****e as shampoo one day at my grannys... dont even think he washed it off before we took the 2 hour drive home...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Man, I remember me and my mate, when we were like 4 or 5, used to eat old chewing gum off the ground, would have been about 1984. FFS!!!!

Advertisement