Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how did we survive childhood

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I did that too. I still remember the feeling of bits of gravel in it and being pleased to find some flavour left. :DMy husband remembers asking his mates for their apple stumps. Yuck!
    My mother in law asked a workmate for some of her chewing gum and to her horror the woman pulled a big string of it out of her mouth and handed it to her. She didn't want to offend the woman so she forced herself to eat it. :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

God another memory, once when looking for chewing gum, I accidently ate seagull sh*te, thinking it was lovely stuck to the pavement gum :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Man, I remember me and my mate, when we were like 4 or 5, used to eat old chewing gum off the ground, would have been about 1984. FFS!!!!

Awe I just know I did that at some stage...Christ :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    God another memory, once when looking for chewing gum, I accidently ate seagull sh*te, thinking it was lovely stuck to the pavement gum :(

I remember finding what I thought was some kind of brown bubble gum on my kitchen floor and as i was popping it into my mouth I recognised the smell of baby sh!te that'd fallen out of my brother's nappy. It had actually touched my lips.........sh!te! Another time I was rolling around the garden with my beloved dog and he blew a snot into my mouth FFS!!!!:D:D:D. I tasted dog snot and it tasted like human's-i wasn't a habitual snot eater but I was curious once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

once I put on a shoe and there was a wasp in it and it stung me and I was screaming but I was only about 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

i remember one day i kneeled on a bee and heard it buzzing and going mental, so i jumped up and it flew away!

i was only a kid though... if i did it now it probably wouldn't make any noise except maybe a crunch. and i wouldn't notice until later when somebody would point out the dead bee juice on my leg. oh to be a chap again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

anto-t wrote: »
    remember my brother using a cow ****e as shampoo one day at my grannys... dont even think he washed it off before we took the 2 hour drive home...

That's a bald-faced lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Nowadays kids are mollycoddled over too much, not allowed out to enjoy the world (that being dirt, water and insects) and will probably end up having a weaker immunity as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Nowadays kids are mollycoddled over too much, not allowed out to enjoy the world (that being dirt, water and insects) and will probably end up having a weaker immunity as a result.

its no wonder why people nowadays have allergies and no immune system...

and as for the sewage post i can nearly beat that...

walkin through a field i walked over what i though was dried grass... ended up chest high in cow/pig slurry... with a lot of throwing up and jumping head first in the nearby river i could look on the bright side.. soaked to the skin and smelling not nice i thought 'thank god it wasn't deeper' that goes for the river too, cos i cant swim :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

spurious wrote: »
    When I was at school, we didn't have one child in our class with asthma - not one.

Its called natural selection. They probably all died when they were infants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I remember when I made my Communion, myself and all my friends were convinced that if you dropped food you could pick it up, bless it and then it was ok to eat!

Those days were pure bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I remember my friend and i sharing a tissue at school one day as we both had runny noses and I had brought no tissue! The one tissue was well sodden by the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just out of interest, does anybody remember that plant thingy that was around a few years ago? There were warnings all over TV and newspapers about how it could burn you if you broke the stems open. Does anybody know what the name of it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Poccington wrote: »
    I remember when I made my Communion, myself and all my friends were convinced that if you dropped food you could pick it up, bless it and then it was ok to eat!

Those days were pure bliss.
    The ironic thing now is that we're all probably being slowly poisoned by all those antibacterial sprays and wipes being used on everything :rolleyes:

I've always sworn to myself that if I ever had kids, I'd let them run around, get their clothes dirty, be dangerous, maybe even break themselves and never EVER tell them to "be careful". I was a cotton-wool kid and, even though I had a great childhood, often wonder what I'd be like now if I'd lived more dangerously. Of course, I can still do that but with the added responsibility of having to work.

I once saw something along the lines of...
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
    in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    totally worn out, shouting "...holy sh*t ...what a ride!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

Playing in muck was the best and I hated my Saturday bath.

Some great times were had playing in the stream near my house and taking that green stringey sludge that grows on stones under water and making balls out of them to throw at my brother.

I remember my brother dunking my head into a water trough for cattle and holding me there spluttering, my dad later told us not to do it again because that apparently, was how my uncle went bald! Hilarious!

I also used to hop up on my pony in the field, no bridle, no saddle and give her a kick until we were pelting it around the field. I'd no way of stopping her but my theory was that I'd either fall off or she'd get tired eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DarkJager wrote: »
    Just out of interest, does anybody remember that plant thingy that was around a few years ago? There were warnings all over TV and newspapers about how it could burn you if you broke the stems open. Does anybody know what the name of it was?
    Giant Hogweed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Hogweed#Phototoxicity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

High fives all round! :D Hang on woah, let me get the wipes out first...

Hygine - High fives is what you want! All the action of a normal high five with out the touching

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

its no wonder why people nowadays have allergies and no immune system...

This thread is ridiculous. I've never heard so many cranks in my entire life. It's not as if we're that old! Sheesh!! nowadays, nowadays, nowadays - and we're not even that old!

And the ignorance is astounding

OCD existed in the eighties whether you believe it or not, and it was debilitating people then too.

Sunburn in childhood is the highest risk factor for developing fatal melanoma later on. Sunburn doesn't get the skin "used" to anything other than mutating into cancer!

If you think people are stupid for using anti-septic when washing nappies, take a trip onto the rotavirus ward in Our Lady's in Crumlin or Temple Street Children's hospital. This is ONLY spread by faeco-oral transmisison! How gross is that!

So before you rant and complain, just think there might JUST be a REASON things have changed

...but fools despise wisdom and instruction
    Proverbs 1:7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

- and we're not even that old!
    How do you know what age any of us are?
    And the ignorance is astounding

Welcome to the intarweb.

If you think people are stupid for using anti-septic when washing nappies...
    No-one washes nappies anymore...they just throw them in the bin. I'm not doubting what you say about rotavirus and obviously around newborn children you sterilise everything possible since they're more prone, but all this hospital hygeine in the home malarkey that gets pushed by the cleaning product industry is needless and probably counterproductive in the long term.

/crank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I didn't :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

When my parents were around I wasn't allowed to run :rolleyes: Ffs no wonder I was always rubbish at sports!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This thread is ridiculous. I've never heard so many cranks in my entire life. It's not as if we're that old! Sheesh!! nowadays, nowadays, nowadays - and we're not even that old!

we're not saying we're old, but most us who experienced childhood in the 80's are in our late 20's early 30's, this is what i'm basing my experinces on, and attitudes and peoples behaviour has changed alot since then
    OCD existed in the eighties whether you believe it or not, and it was debilitating people then too....

....If you think people are stupid for using anti-septic when washing nappies, take a trip onto the rotavirus ward in Our Lady's in Crumlin or Temple Street Children's hospital. This is ONLY spread by faeco-oral transmisison! How gross is that!

totally agree with you, not debating that, what we are saying is that its noticed more, due to rise in infections, illness, reserch, etc,

but the point i'm makeing is, i got dirty as a kid, as did most of us, but my parents were not using antiseptic wipes on me every time i touched something, hardly ever took anti biotics and still dont, becuase as most of us know, they dont just kill bad bacteria, but also good, and the other point, reserch has taught us more,

but surly, would you not consider, that with increased use of anti bacterial cleansers etc, that some of our amunity is being affected as we have not, or already not as resilient to them

i have no problem with them and anti biotics being used, but at the same time, when they are needed, and not just for the sake of it

Sunburn in childhood is the highest risk factor for developing fatal melanoma later on. Sunburn doesn't get the skin "used" to anything other than mutating into cancer!

yes, and have have leant that from reserch, in the early 80's though, it wasn't thought to be as harmfull

So before you rant and complain, just think there might JUST be a REASON things have changed

no ones ranting and complaning, just achknowleding how atitudes have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

well you just seen an ad about wetwipes..Its an ad,cop on ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

What annoys me is that our hospital budgets have gone through the roof because of new hygiene regulations, but despite this we still have equally as many patients being presented to us with VRE and MRSA!!! I'd love to know if it has made a difference nationally but, from what I see it hasn't where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

kelle wrote: »
    What annoys me is that our hospital budgets have gone through the roof because of new hygiene regulations, but despite this we still have equally as many patients being presented to us with VRE and MRSA!!! I'd love to know if it has made a difference nationally but, from what I see it hasn't where I work.

Actually, I think hygeine regulations are probably the most cost-effective measure that exists - in theory. It's just that current hygeine policy has some holes in it, like:
    • The fact that Doctors bring their own white coats home to wash them - unlike in France where they pick them up clean at the hospital and leave them at the hospital, where they get washed, just as is done with the scrubs. Although France is the only place I am aware of with this policy.
    • Also patients in Ireland rarely have their own room. I think all those manky curtains that surround patients' beds have a lot to answer for. Not only do they facilitate the spread of infection, patients have no privacy, can't regulate the temperature, and can never get any sleep!
    I heard that back in the days when the nuns were running the hospitals directly, they were like nazis in terms of cleaniness. I also heard that in Russia you have to change into special hospital clothes and shoes before you even enter. Not sure how much truth there is in this, but I bet MRSA and VRE would go into extinction if Irish hospitals were like that.

On a more general note, I don't believe children of "nowadays" are really treated all that differently to how we were treated as children. I think media are always just that bit removed from reality.

The theory that you are referring to the hygiene theory. But when you think of the amount of pollution that is in the air now that wasn't thirty years ago (pollution less obvious than smog or lead), you can see how many other possible causes for the increase in asthma there may be.

Advertisement