Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixing dll error

Options
  • 10-08-2008 5:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to tidy up a friend's computer for them and seem to have cleared out a few viruses over the last while - one error I keep encountering on start up is a rundll error that I can't figure out, however.

Every start up I get a message saying there was an error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\pakeohni.dll, as it could not be found.

I looked on my own computer (same OS - WinXP SP2) and no such file exists, while a Google search tells me nothing.

So I figure this may be residue of a virus or some kind of mistake that came as a result of previous infections and I'd like to sort it out - so can anyone recommend me decent free software that will do the trick for me?

The google search offered me a load of registry cleaning and dll fix softwares for free but I've never heard of them and would be cautious about using them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mr Mojo

Give CCleaner a go, an excellent & highly recommended piece of free software.

It'll find the reference somewhere in your startup config referring to that missing .DLL file & remove it for you.

Run the registry cleaner & also check out the 'startup' option in the 'Tools' section.
    Run the cleaner too.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brian881

I have the Program on the windows 95 computer to run the Sceptre device I have connected.

Is there anyway I can take the program off the computer so I could try it on a different computer?

Advertisement