Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 Broadband - Roaming

• 10-08-2008 5:10pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Quick question.. As I am unable to get through to customer support I said id try asking here..

If I purchase o2 Broadband, can I use it abroad? Or does it only work in Ireland?

Thanks.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Sully wrote: »
    Hey,

Quick question.. As I am unable to get through to customer support I said id try asking here..

If I purchase o2 Broadband, can I use it abroad? Or does it only work in Ireland?

Thanks.

Kevin

Yes, you can use it abroad, if you are blessed with VDP (Very Deep Pockets).

At Easter this year I surfed some sites for information using my O2 SIM while in Spain for some 40 minutes. That cost 88€.

If you're travelling to any of the following countries with any regularity -A, AUS, ITA, UK, SE, DK or HK -then i'd recommend you go for 3 instead, to avoid these sort of roaming charges. There are those who will say that 3 Irl has its own domestic problems, but in the roaming arena, they are unbeatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you only want it for roaming get 3pay as you can only pay when you actually want it.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If you only want it for roaming get 3pay as you can only pay when you actually want it.

I agree unless the OP intends to frequently visit Hong Kong -not sure if it's implemented there yet on 3Pay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

3Pay I assume is on the three network.. The intetion is to only use it when on holidays, mainly Lanzarote and Croatia. Pay as you go is exactly what im looking for!

EDIT: 3Pay seems to be just a network sim card.. nothing about broadband?

3Pay I assume is on the three network.. The intetion is to only use it when on holidays, mainly Lanzarote and Croatia. Pay as you go is exactly what im looking for!

EDIT: 3Pay seems to be just a network sim card.. nothing about broadband?

Broadband can be added on a monthly basis to a 3Pay SIM or you can get the datamodem on PAYG. However it is useless to you in either of those territories as they are not graced with 3 sister networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Hey,

Thanks.

Kevin

things to pack: o2 modem and lube, cos you'll get royally screwed. go with 3, although on 3pay there are less countries you can roam with "3 like home" (i think asia and australia are excluded)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So I cant use 3Pay in Lanzarote or Croatia?

For data? No. In any case it would cost you a fortune.

O2 broadband can be added on on a monthly basis as needed -so you could get that on your account instead of getting yet another SIM and account. You can then use it in those countries -but be warned, the bill will add up for very little.

€8 per mb if memory serves me correctly. I also recall reading that roaming is disabled by default for data only sims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2 have 2 roaming addons available for data. €10 for 1MB (yes, one meg) and €50 for 50MB. These prices are monthly and you have to keep the addon for a minimum of 3 months on your account.

Also without the addons data can be "as little" as €4.95 a meg in some places. Also note the price difference in using the WAP or INTERNET APNs (although the modem will only work with the INTERNET APNs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sully you can use 3pay in most countries but when you in a 3 like home country you can use data or services at no extra cost, plug your phone into your laptop and surf the web, watch the rte news on your phone, skype home, access planet 3.....it's pretty good, at the moment it works in the UK, Austria and Italy.

3pay in Lanzarote will cost you 39c a minute to call home and 35c for a text, i'd be leaving the phone off in Croatia it's €1.75 a minute to make or recieve a call..

I understood the OP was specifically asking about using data abroad: if he goes with 3Pay, this is the situation (from the 3 FAQ)

"Can I still connect my laptop when I’m abroad?
    Yes, you can use Mobile Broadband 10GB in countries where 3 has a network. These countries are the UK, Austria, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Hong Kong and Australia"

If he goes with an O2 add-on to his SIM he can use that in other countries such as Lanzarote (Spain) and Croatia. However, he will need a hefty bank balance and wifi, where available, would be the more sensible option.

random wrote: »
    O2 have 2 roaming addons available for data. €10 for 1MB (yes, one meg) and €50 for 50MB. These prices are monthly and you have to keep the addon for a minimum of 3 months on your account.

But you may as well stick on the add-on and use data abroad at 8€ per meg? And remove it after one month, if desired.

i don't follow. You can't stick on the roaming addons with o2 on for a month (officially), it has to be 3 months.

If you mean adding the normal data addons for a month they will make no difference to roaming data prices.

I should add those roaming data and regular data addons i mentioned don't work on an o2 broadband sim.

I mean that if the OP is going on holiday for a couple of weeks somewhere what then is the point of paying 30€ for 3mb or 150€ for 150mb over 3 months? Might as well add the normal data add-on and pay the 8€ per mb. If to check emails occasionally over that period and he/she manages to use say 8mb, then the charge will be 64€. With the first add on, that usage will add up to 70€ at least.

Hie thee to a McDonalds.

I should add those roaming data and regular data addons i mentioned don't work on an o2 broadband sim.

Correct, that was done away with a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Surely the best option for the OP is a simcard with 3Pay broadband?

Gekko wrote: »

Hardly, after all that had been said. No good in the territories mentioned.

Gekko wrote: »

Best option would be to forget about the interweb for the few weeks he's on Holidays and watch the pretty girls walking by instead....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I signed up to O2 Mobile Broadband only a month ago, and the salesperson told me that roaming is disabled on the SIM by default now because too many people were taking it abroad and then getting a massive bill they weren't expecting.

You can call customer care and they will lift the bar, yes it's being disabled as there have been some very high bills generated, i've heard of one over €200,000.....don't go roaming in africa;)

€200,000? WTF was that lad doing?

€200,000? WTF was that lad doing?
    Wouldn't take a lot to be honest. It's only 20gig @ €10/meg ... haven't you ever gone roaming and felt the need to download the whole of Family Guy? :D

I have but I would prefer to rape some hotels wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Best option would be to forget about the interweb for the few weeks he's on Holidays and watch the pretty girls walking by instead....;)

Fair point!

We go over on a regular enough basis to both Croatia and Spain. We have our own phones on the Spanish/Croatian network also. From speakin with locals, it might be possible that we can get broadband from their mobile providers. Language barrier is a pain.

Both locations are our second home so its not a holiday as such!

I have but I would prefer to rape some hotels wifi.

Afaik, we are a good distance from any hotel! :)

here's the spanish broadband thread....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56348740

• Advertisement
Advertisement