Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was this done at my request....

Options
  • 10-08-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

:confused:

just had a thread locked in AH, now i had requested a mod help me edit the poll or the thread delated, but it was locked with no explanation or confirmation,

how would i know it its due to my own request (and repost as was unhappy with original), or if it was locked for another reason and risk reposting it the way i had intended, last post does not seem to have been made by a mod so i cant even PM them

thread concerned

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352666

thanks in advance
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

PM one of the mods, probably, whichever was last active.

They'll be able to tell you who and maybe even why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah it was quite a compelling thread alright, shot down in the prime of its life. :(
    I'm sure it was just an accident.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Riveting thread. Can't imagine why it was closed.

PM the Mod and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Beruthiel wrote: »

PM the Mod and ask.

[yoda] Mmmm sense much sarcasm is this one I do [/yoda]

<3 Beruthiel :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Beruthiel wrote: »

PM the Mod and ask.
    I thought it was about socks, not rivets. What has shipbuilding got to do with this?
    sockpuppet300x386.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I personally think it should have been moved to politics ... I mean it's a pretty important issue that needs to be discussed, argued & flamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

hussey wrote: »
    I personally think it should have been moved to politics ... I mean it's a pretty important issue that needs to be discussed, argued & flamed.
    Or PI..
    Is the mammy not using enough Comfort in the wash??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sock discrimination in AH again.
    I want to talk about socks. But am not pro-active enough to start my own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hi.
    Please refer to the AH charter. In particular, this part:
    AH Charter wrote:
    Pointless Threads and Polls
    - Posting any pointless thread or poll will result in the thread being locked. You can be banned for this. Think before you post. If you don't have anything to say then don't bother posting a new thread. Please try to comment as much as you can on any threads you create. If you create a thread in which you ask people to contribute in, contribute first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Terry wrote: »
    Hi.
    Please refer to the AH charter. In particular, this part:

While it is a pointless thread, in fairness to the OP, when there are other similar threads such as the ones below, if no comment is left in the thread to say why its being closed it could leave one a tad confused.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352241

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344434

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    While it is a pointless thread, in fairness to the OP, when there are other similar threads such as the ones below, if no comment is left in the thread to say why its being closed it could leave one a tad confused.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352241

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344434
    It was completely pointless and most threads that begin with following on from... will be locked because they are normally useless attempts at trolling or post whoring.

The threads you have linked to do have a place in AH and will fall from the first page in due course (if that hasn't already happened).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Im not saying its a matter of life and death style thread, but for the love of god its not as if we are stuck for bandwidth and people were posting on it? Can you not let the postcount decide?

sei046 wrote: »
    Im not saying its a matter of life and death style thread, but for the love of god its not as if we are stuck for bandwidth and people were posting on it? Can you not let the postcount decide?
    No.
    Try the cuckoo's nest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That must be very hard to enforce.. a lot of threads in After Hours are pointless...

Thats what i thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

That whole "thread is pointless" really gets up my tits.

pointless to whom!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ntlbell wrote: »

pointless to whom!

Ah well now the thread in the question was pretty pointless. Im waiting for a thread about "Do you let it hang or hold your penis when going for a piss?". Tho its probably been done :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I wonder what would happen if after hours were to be shut. Where would they all go?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

pointless to whom!
    Couldn't agree more ntlbell. The horrible mods are far too quick to throw out the old padlock. Check out this thread Pighead started a while ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055318946

Absolutely no need to lock it. Pointless threads, Pighead's arse. Pointless locking, more like.

I wonder what would happen if after hours were to be shut. Where would they all go?

The Waterford forum? :p

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

pointless to whom!

Obviously and objectively pointless to any reasonable person. There is a point where subjectivity ends and a thread is just obviously garbage & needs to be deleted. I think the AH Mods know this point better than most. The thread in question was completely pointless bull****. The only point to that thread was creating the thread itself.

To be honest I feel anyone arguing otherwise is just Fighting the Powah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Well if it is truly pointless it will die, but if people just want to have a discussion on er..sock changing and it's not harming anyone, why stop them? Now if they said 'Which group of immigrant are you most racist against' you might have cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Perhaps the general rule for locking threads from now on should be:

if the thread is on a par with the OPs AH thread in terms of pointlessness then it should be locked. we can call it the "irish-stew sock rule"

Of course, an exception to this rule would be if we eventually set up a kindergarten forum where kids can post by drawing with crayons on their computer. They can discuss changing their socks. They can also discuss similar topics such as:

- what flavour is your booger
    - pampers versus huggies: the road trip test
    - walkin rulz, crawlin droolz

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

well at least i know why it was locked

:o

but in my defence, yes it probably was a pointless post, but it was also a light hearted post following the recent ones that had been put up, ie, the 'how often...', 'the how many...', 'the how recent...', etc etc etc, the only think that i didn't understand, and i mentioned this is my opeing post, that there was no explanation for the lock

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pointless to whom!

pointless to everyone but you :pac::pac:

I dont know. I do agree with the whole lock happy thing. And its hard to fight the power when the power clean threads! Its hardly an authority. Just another post with a job to make sure we dont get spammers or idiots.

I say id people are having a lighthearted discussion on some throw away topic let them at it. Why not? If people arent interested they wont post and it will just die and go down the list, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Perhaps the general rule for locking threads from now on should be:

if the thread is on a par with the OPs AH thread in terms of pointlessness then it should be locked. we can call it the "irish-stew sock rule"

Of course, an exception to this rule would be if we eventually set up a kindergarten forum where kids can post by drawing with crayons on their computer. They can discuss changing their socks. They can also discuss similar topics such as:

- what flavour is your booger
    - pampers versus huggies: the road trip test
    - walkin rulz, crawlin droolz

I lol'd. I'd nearly start a 'Which flavour is your booger' thread just for the fun of it. Feck it, I'm still laughing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sully wrote: »
    That must be very hard to enforce.. a lot of threads in After Hours are pointless...
    I thought AH was the useless ones, and TCN and TTD were for useless ones which were becoming abusive ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ok,

Back on topic.

How often do you change your socks?

Srsly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ok,

Back on topic.

How often do you change your socks?

Srsly

This one time, I swear, I actually took off a sock so rank it stuck to the radiator I threw it at.
    The girlfriend was impressed no end, when she regained consciousness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement