Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accountancy courses?

• 10-08-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I am looking for advice about accountancy courses... I was considering doing a diploma in accountancy and finance in Dublin Business School- would this be wise? I want to do fund accounting, but do the ACCA exams and have the option of going into practice later..

Would you do the diploma, or just go straight into a degree?

Would appreciate any advice folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

If you're going to do a degree dont bother with a diploma first, most degrees start assuming a pretty limited knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

If you are young enough, just go for the degree. It will give you the most exemptions. I would check to what exemptions are given for the different relevant degrees offered. The degree will definitely be the better choice of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 09_09

but if you go with the acounting degree you have to spend three years to get 9 exemptions from ACCA. 3 of them are computer based which mean you can give exam at any time. so if u have younger then go for degree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Trainee_Account

Which exams for the ACCA are computer based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 09_09

the First Three and unforunately if u fail u can repeat them after 48 hours. Both DBS and Griffith has this facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

pog it wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I am looking for advice about accountancy courses... I was considering doing a diploma in accountancy and finance in Dublin Business School- would this be wise? I want to do fund accounting, but do the ACCA exams and have the option of going into practice later..

Would you do the diploma, or just go straight into a degree?

Would appreciate any advice folks.

With a degree you will have more exemptions when it comes to the ACCA exams. Choose your course well though as some colleges even with a degree do not give that many exemptions for ACCA exams. DBS is very geared towards ACCA so any course they have there, may be designed in such a way to get you as many exemptions as possible.

Research is the key here - you dont want to end up in a situation where you have a degree with just one exemption.

Fund accounting is a great sector and it is booming at the moment. The only thing i would advise is if you are thinking of going into practice after doing your ACCA exams while a fund accountant - you will still be a junior and have to do your 3.5 years experience all over again (the 3.5years you did in industry will not count(correct me if i am wrong but that is my spin on it)! it is advisable to go into the practice first and do your exams and then branch into the Fund accountancy side! (no effect on income)

By all means make up your own mind but just wanted to let you know my thoughts on it! I am a fund accounting manager and doing my ACCA exams but goign into practice for me is now not an option as i will have to start all over again as a junior if i were to do that! Couldnt be bothered and also i have gotten used to the money and making that swap would prob result in a decrease of at least 15-20k!!!!! i know mental Some people love Fund accounting and others hate it - all experiences are different but i will say - know what you are getting yourself in for beforehand! Talk around! :)

Advertisement