Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus 1.6 2005- Petrol or Diesel

Options
  • 10-08-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Trying to pick a new car - the Audi A3 1.6 sprotsback (new model) is gorgeous - but just a little bit too pricey. Am I right in thinking that the new Focus would be a comparable car?

I hear that the 1.6 engine in the Focus is a good engine - but if you had the choice, would you pick the diesel or petrol engine? What model is best/price?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.6 petrol is fine, as is 1.6 TDCI diesel. Zetec trim level or above is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Is there any noise issue with the diesel model?

Thanks Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As long as you stay away from the 1.4 it doesn't really matter - the 1.4 has all the power of a bumble bee.

Personally I'd go for the petrol, particularly the 1.6 in the Ghia which is a more modern engine and has more power and little more economy over the 1.6 in the LX or Zetec, because I don't do a lot of driving and I don't like the way diesel drives(not to mention the fact I don't want other people inhaling diesel fumes that could otherwise be avoided).

Though the diesel has a very good reputation as well, in particular for reliability. Modern diesels are still noticeably noisier than petrols despite what diesel fans will tell you, particularly when cold but are leaps and bounds ahead of diesels of old. Petrol is also a bit smoother to drive too. Petrol engines also sound a lot nicer, if you're bothered by that sort of thing:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I'd take the 1.6 diesel every time, a lovely refined little engine with a fair bit of poke.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's pretty refined as diesels go. 2nd generation common rail diesel. 16v PSA derived unit used in a wide range of cars.

Diesel will return much higher mpg, but a 2005 will be more expensive to buy than a petrol, the fuel itself is more expensive, and road tax will be the same.

To make one work financially you'd need to be clocking up a decent annual mileage. 25k miles p.a. maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have the Focus 1.6 TDCi and I am averaging around 53mpg, a full tank of diesel gives me a range of 620 miles according to the OBC. They do cost a premium over a 1.6 petrol Focus, plus diesel is more expensive at the pump so if your doing small mileage you probably will not be able to justify the extra premium for the diesel.

As already mentioned the minimum spec you should be looking at is Zetec but I would aim for the Ghia. It really is well kitted out and a 05 will not cost that much more than a similar Zetec model. Ghia has electric windows front & back, cruise control, auto lights & wipers, velour seats and auto dipping rear view mirror.

Also as mentioned the 1.6 litre petrol engine in the Ghia has variable valve timing and pumps out 115bhp compared to the older modest 1.6 litre 100bhp in the LX and Zetec. The 1.6 petrol in the Ghia has slightly better fuel consumption too.

Which ever model you buy avoid the Freedom or LX models, they are pretty basic and difficult enough to sell on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 focusst225owner

i would o for the 1.6 tdci zetec the lx is boring the ghia is for old men is faster than the petrol and my friend got over 50mpg here is a nice petrol one

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/Zetec-1.6/1117079/

Advertisement