Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to see in Donegal

• 10-08-2008 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Am travelling around Donegal during first week of Sept, have never been there before and would love some pointers as to where to visit, any festivals going on etc.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Unfortunately you've missed the big Clonmany festival as yesterday was the last night. I'm unsure if there are any other large festivals but there is a ton of places to visit, various good pubs/nightclubs for the later night life.

I personally recommend Dunree fort Historical Centre, Malin Head (View is fantastic) plus once your actually heading to these places you'll have a very scenic drive to it, Doagh Island Famine Village, never really a shortage of good places to dine and enjoy a pint either. :D

Are you heading to any particular part of Donegal or just trying to cram in a trip round the entire county into a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This thread may be worth a read.

And this

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Everywhere in Donegal is great, you don't have to travel far around this county to find the most fantasic places, beachs, views. Its all here. Some of my favoriates, Lough Salt Drive, Inishowen Greencastle, to Malin Head. Out west back of Errigal, Killybegs and Teelin out to Seleive Leauge.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

R0ot wrote: »

Are you heading to any particular part of Donegal or just trying to cram in a trip round the entire county into a week?

Hoping to take in the entire west coast of Ireland! Ambitious I know. So should be stopping in Donegal for 2 maybe 3 days max.
    muffler wrote: »
    This thread may be worth a read.

And this

Cheers! :)
    Bligh wrote: »
    Everywhere in Donegal is great, you don't have to travel far around this county to find the most fantasic places, beachs, views. Its all here. Some of my favoriates, Lough Salt Drive, Inishowen Greencastle, to Malin Head. Out west back of Errigal, Killybegs and Teelin out to Seleive Leauge.

Enjoy

Yeah have heard so much about the scenery there, never too far from a great view.....how easy is it to visit wee Daniel O' Donnell and get a cup of tea off him???!!:D

Hoping to take in the entire west coast of Ireland! Ambitious I know. So should be stopping in Donegal for 2 maybe 3 days max.
    You will need treble that time to get anywhere near to taking in the sights.
    Yeah have heard so much about the scenery there, never too far from a great view.....how easy is it to visit wee Daniel O' Donnell and get a cup of tea off him???!!:D
    Its the Mammy that normally does the tea - or so I've been told :pac: :pac:

If you head in that direction you cant go wrong. Just a suggestion but you could start off on a drive from Donegal Town to Killybegs > Ardara > Naran/Portnoo > Glenties > Dungloe > Burtonport > Kincasslagh (get the cuppa ;)) > Gweedore > Dunlewey > Glenveagh National Park.

The roads arent great and its always best to pull in to appreciate the views.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Ah with only 2-3 days as muffler says you won't have a chance seeing all the best places in Donegal, I doubt you'll even get to the Inishowen peninsula. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I was hopin to see Malin head! I take it the roads arent great up there?! (a common problem in scenic areas) Like I said Im travelling all the way down the west coast so I'll only be able to see the best spots of each county, not all of them I'm afraid....still some nice sounding places to check out so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

check out Horn Head. It's heaven on Earth, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

If you get the chance take the ferry out to Aranmore or a visit to Glenveigh National Park:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

If the weathers any good and you're up that way, The Grianan of Aileach is a nice spot, really good view, and the lough salt drive and up around Dunfanaghy, Carrigart, Downings. Great scenery and beaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

tbh wrote: »

Where's that?
    If you get the chance take the ferry out to Aranmore or a visit to Glenveigh National Park:)

Arranmore is a must. Love going out there. Never do get to see the whole island though :( even though I've been there dozens of times and live in Dungloe LOL

Carrickfinn is a gorgeous beach, right beside airport too, plus you go pass Kincasslagh going to it if you're going to go through the route Muffler suggested.

You know, sometime I forget how lucky I am that I live in this area. :rolleyes:

Where's that?

Arranmore is a must. Love going out there. Never do get to see the whole island though :( even though I've been there dozens of times and live in Dungloe LOL

Is that because you keep stopping at Earlys bar:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I agree.

I went there on a terrible day and it was still incredible.

Is that because you keep stopping at Earlys bar:p:p

Is that the one where you get off the ferry? Or is it the one on the hill overlooking the beach???
    I agree.

I went there on a terrible day and it was still incredible.

Again, where is this place???

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Again, where is this place???

Close to Dunfanaghy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_Head

Is that the one where you get off the ferry? Or is it the one on the hill overlooking the beach???

The one on the hill :D

yeah, I think if you're going from Creeslough/Letterkenny to Dunfanaghy, take a right at the golf course at Port Na Blagh.

Cheers for that. Might go up there for a drive when I get a new car! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Portsalon beach is a must, award winning several times.

Portsalon beach is a must, award winning several times.
    For me its probably the best in the county. Added bonus of no cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

You have to visit Sliabh Liag down past Killybegs. The sea cliffs are phenomenal on a good day. Stop in Biddy's for the best pint of Guinness as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

yeah, I think if you're going from Creeslough/Letterkenny to Dunfanaghy, take a right at the golf course at Port Na Blagh.

Not exactly, the turn at the golf course after portnablagh takes you to a beach.

Directions for Horn Head:
    When travelling from Creeslough direction, drive through Dunfanaghy Village, you'll see a fork on the main road - go right and follow the road though. It really is amazing!

Would also recommend the Atlantic drive from Downings

giggles wrote: »
    Not exactly, the turn at the golf course after portnablagh takes you to a beach.

Directions for Horn Head:
    When travelling from Creeslough direction, drive through Dunfanaghy Village, you'll see a fork on the main road - go right and follow the road though. It really is amazing!

Would also recommend the Atlantic drive from Downings

Myself and giggles are getting married in April, so I suppose I should get used to her correcting me :)

Myself and giggles are getting married in April, so I suppose I should get used to her correcting me :)
    Along with numerous other things :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Glencolumkill, Kilcar, Carrick and Slieve League area is gorgeous. And Dungloe towards Dunfanaghy is lovely too. Beware the signs in Irish with no English though. A suprising amount of places don't translate very well (Dungloe being An Clochán Liath and Burtonport being Ailt an Chorráin:eek:). Bring a good map, a sat nav and maybe a compass:D

Advertisement