Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killester

Options
  • 10-08-2008 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi

Im looking for information on the Killester area-particularly around Craigford drive and the streets close by.

Does anyone know if this is a quiet area? Its close to Clontarf but also to Donneycarney-I actually dont know anything about Donneycarney but I heard its a bit of a rough area.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Samuel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Donneycarney is famous for gangsters, especially a certain CJ Haughey ;)
    Any reputuation it once had is long gone. The worst you'll see is kids hanging around the petrol station on the Malahide Road and maybe asking you to get cigarettes. That's it, nothing worse than that.

Killester is a grand area, great bus service on the Malahide Road and of course the Dart.
    Short stroll to the seafront in Clontarf and not too far from St.Anne's Park in Raheny.

Lots of narrow streets so if you drive, consider where you will park. Keep off the footpath :mad:

Btw, didn't I read one your threads that you live in Marino? I thought you'd know the area very well already.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Grand area. I have been living close by for eight years. Mixture of people who have grown up here, people who moved in when the houses were first built, and more recent first time buyers. Probably quite similar to Marino - probably more "wannabes" in Marino though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Fantastic area. Really close to town, great public transport, respectable and mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Great area, lovely Sunday dinner to be had in the Beachcomber pub ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

branners69 wrote: »
    Great area, lovely Sunday dinner to be had in the Beachcomber pub ;)
    Agreed it is a great area but disagree on The Beachcomber. Very unexciting pub with the usual sub-standard carvery. It's better food than the Goblet though. Each to their own though. The Ramble inn and Harry Byrnes are 2 cracking pubs in area and for different reasons. Niether serve food as they are pubs.
    St.Anne's and Dollyer, sure you'd be greedy to want more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have never heard the Ramble inn described as a cracking pub.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Used to live in Killester and loved it. Nice quiet area, but with the Dart you're in town in minutes. It was also great to stroll down to the seafront in Clontarf. I wouldn't worry at all about Donneycarney. It's harmless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The beachcomber isn't a bad pub, some of my friends have even picked up in there hehehe. It'll be my first port of call whenever I'm back in Eire anyway, does a decent pint of guinness and has becks on tap.
    My best mate lives on Craigford drive. I remember one night we were having some tins in the gaf and another friends honda was stolen outside. I went home without even noticing it gone, drunk, and the next morning I see on the front of the herald a picture of it smashed into a wall in summerhill. Some scumbags stole it and crashed into a taxi driver, killing him, I think 1 or both of the scumbags died too. Freaky sh*t.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have never heard the Ramble inn described as a cracking pub.
    Well there you go. It's a proper boozer. I 1st entered with cautious intrepidation about3year ago and was delighted to have found one of the gems of Dublin drinking. Gentlemanly professional staff, pluralistic and convivial clientle, gratis sambos and sausages at 6 on a friday, bawdy Dublin ballad sessions midweek. There is a bookies, shop and chinese right beside. I'd leave it 'til after 4p.m to enter as going earlier can leave one a little sad as the clientel from 11.30 to 3.30 are occassionally unappealing viewing and it is probably best avoided at that time if one is looking to keep chipper for the remains of the day. Good, good pub. A real surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

humberklog wrote: »
    Gentlemanly professional staff, pluralistic and convivial clientle, gratis sambos and sausages at 6 on a friday, bawdy Dublin ballad sessions midweek. .

Sounds deadly but you might get a dig if you call them pluralistic and convivial to their face, OP.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sorifinh

I was googling 'loud noises in Killester area' when I came across this. I was born and reared on Craigford Drive, a wonderful place to grow up. We had a farm to the back, all built up now of course, which was our extended playground. A lot of new people have moved in, I wonder if you were one of them? I was there on Christmas eve with my dad and saw a couple putting up their decorations. Made me sad to see the family I had grown up with had all moved on when their parents died and at the same time happy to see a new generation coming onto the road.

Advertisement