Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nordic Walking - any trainers in Ireland?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'd like to find some up-to-date information on learning the technique of Nordic Walking in Ireland. I found a website with the name nordicwalking but it is a few years out of date and sports shops are unable to give me information and searching here did not show any results either.
    Appreciate any help or information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

This may be a bit contentious, so take what I say here with a grain of salt...
    But I sort of get the impression this recent focus on nordic walking is a bit of a marketing thing. I've seen people having classes on nordic walking - and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to it...

I'm not knocking walking with poles - I think hiking poles are really useful at times in the hills, makes use of your upper body muscles, and I'd always try and use them in long off road walks because my knees get noticably less fatigued. (eg, over the 24 hour rogaine or the like over rough ground)

There's definitely a little bit of a knack to them (use pairs of poles, set the height right, opposing hand and foot move together), but I really think that if you buy a good pair of poles, and read an article or two on the internet, and just go out and practice, it comes together very fast.

I've heard of people going to classes, but I wouldn't personally think a program of classes in Nordic Walking is necessary to learn the technique - especially if you're already an experienced walker, as your name and posts would suggest.

That's been my experience anyway... Maybe there's more to it than I realise :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DjouceWalker

Thanks very much. I take your point, but may I ask you where did you
    see Nordic walking classes taking place? Was it in Ireland? If you would be kind enough to give me the contact, I would be very glad.
    I use two poles as it is but two things attracted me to Nordic walking, one being that it can be done on relatively flat ground (and not everyone wants to summit-bag) and secondly for the workout of upper body.
    You are right that I probably could get the hang of it myself and I'll give it a try. Many thanks again.

may I ask you where did you
    see Nordic walking classes taking place? Was it in Ireland? If you would be kind enough to give me the contact, I would be very glad.
    Down in glengarriff forest park, beside bantry bay, west Cork.

Pretty sure it was these guys:
    http://www.glengarriff.info/nordicwalking/index.html

Thanks a million for that link. You are a genius!
    I'll check it out and tell you how I get on whenever I get a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bookleen

Hi. I see you are interested in nordic walking. We have a group that meet at the weekends and walk in Phoenix park Dublin. We are really only getting started and have not very many members yet but there appears to be great interest out there. We recommend that anyone interested in joining our group "Phoenix Nordic Walkers" should attend an introductory workshop before they come on a walk. We are open to new members.I can provide contact details for both the walking group and training workshop if you get back to me here.

• Advertisement

Thank you Bookleen for info re Phoenix Park Nordic Walking group.
    Joy had already told me. I'm not likely to use it as I live in Firhouse.
    I go to Joy in Bushy Park but only now and then at this time of year.
    I really enjoy the Nordic Walking and hope to become really good at
    it as time goes by - its a great full body exercise in the open air!
    Good luck with your group. Advertise locally in shops in Cabra and
    near the Park as there's quite a population there as well as people
    on their way home from work who park in the Park.
    Djoucewalker

Hi,
    Glad you are enjoying it. We love the nordic walking too although we havent been too adventourous yet.
    It seems you are on line at the minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Harvey77

Hi Bookleen - could you tell me when and where your group meets in the Phoenix Park at weekends? I've heard a lot of people talking about Nordic Walking recently and am just wondering how difficult or strenuous is it? It has been a few years since I've been active and did any exercise, but I'd really like to do some physical activity to improve my health.

If you contact Joy at 0876859313 (tell her Jean sent you!)
    she will give you all the info on all the locations in Dublin doing Nordic Walking.
    Its a great workout, when done properly. You need shoes, normal walking shoes/runners (not boots) and the poles are supplied. Costs about 20euro per session. Great for getting back to fitness after an injury, hip replacement, or just pure idleness! Do it - don't put it off! Classes are finishing soon til the New Year. her email is: joyrus@eircom.net

Your comment about Nordic Walking being a bit of a fake may seem right but I can tell you, having tried to learn it from a properly trained instructor, its not easy pickins! It can, like most things in life, be done with little enthusiasm or effort, but when fully concentrated upon, its a great, fullbody workout in a very quick time span. I have no commercial affiliations of any kind. I just don't like knocking something which may have great value to others - obviously less clever and less fit that the person who commented here!

• Advertisement

Hello Harvey77,
    We are a new nordic walking group that meet every Saturday morning and walk in Phoenix Park. We start at 10.00am and begin with a few stretching exercises using the poles (approx 10 or 15 mins). We then walk around Phoenix Park for approx 1 hour and finish with more stretching exercises, again using the poles. Each Sat we meet at the Papal Cross car park and start our walk from there. However, this morning we changed our start point to the Wellington monument due to the Aware race. Each morning we tend to choose a different direction for our walk so it is important that everyone arrive in time to set out together.
    We call ourselves "Phoenix Nordic Walkers" and will be forming an official club in the New Year. Each member will need to attend a workshop on Nordic Walking to learn the techniques of nordic walking before joining our club. This training can be arranged through our club. One 2.5 hour session is usually sufficient to learn the basic techniques. This costs €40. Further workshops can be attended at a reduced cost of €20. Our club will be arranging workshops in Phoenix Park on a regular basis throughout 2009.
    We also hope to include a Wednesday evening walk during the Summer months and we will be arranging walks in other interesting places outside Phoenix Park.
    If you wish to talk directly to me you can phone me on 086/0427989 or email: nordicwalkers@o2.ie and I will forward more info. We are looking for new members at the moment so you are very welcome!
    (If you have medical problems, it might be better for you to attend regular nordic walking classes with an instructor where you will be guided through appropriate exercises using the poles, which suit your medical condition.)

Thanks a mil. That's very interesting. The more venues the better, and a variety of hours too.... I'm interested and will be in touch in New Year.

Hi DjouceWalker,
    You are very welcome to come along and join our group/club. :D
    What does DjouceWalker mean?:confused:

Thanks for that. Djouce walker is just a name I made up, as I'm sure Bookleen is not your real name either. I just like the Djouce mountain in Wicklow and I insist that I am a hill WALKER, not a mountaineer, so that's where I got the name from. Happy hiking!

I just like the Djouce mountain in Wicklow and I insist that I am a hill WALKER, not a mountaineer,

I dunno, it's a slippery slope...

(sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

fergalr wrote: »
    I dunno, it's a slippery slope...

(sorry)

*groan*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd like to remind everyone of the no adverts policy in place on this board.

Sorry about the No Advertising Ban being broken because of my question
    but I don't understand why I'm getting a reply at this late stage.
    I was aware of the Glengarriff centre so the ad is not breaking new ground.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SereneWanderer

My apologies, there is a thin line between information and adverstising.

Advertisement