Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper in Galway?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I have a hankering for a decent chicken and chips. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

McDonaghs have great chips. And fish too - not sure about their chicken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Keedowah wrote: »
    I love their chips but I'm not a fish fan unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

chicken is decent too, greasy but decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

chicken in mcdonaghs is great.

def with a try.

Nice one for the responses. (Puts coat on and heads out door)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Come back! I've found zanadoo when it comes to fish and chips in Galway - Kettle of Fish, across from Buskers.

Was a McDonaghs fan for manys a year however I think their food has gotten extremely greasy recently (even for fish and chips). The food in KOF is top quality and in my humble opinion the best chipper in town.

If you're looking for a burger or a kebab look no further then Charcoal Grill. 1/4 pounder with cheese is quality. Mmmm Charcoal Grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

donner meat fries in charcoal grill, yum yum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Kebab House for all your greasy needs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I like Vinnies on Dominick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Marios merlin park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Come back! I've found zanadoo when it comes to fish and chips in Galway - Kettle of Fish, across from Buskers.

was in there last week.. its ok but the food doesn't travel (i.e. takeaway, goes very mushy)

also the price seems to be very steep compared to the rest

nice veggie burgers though.

still though.. cant beat mcdonaghs for chicken and chips... i don't bother buying fish from them any more ( i have a freezer full from fishing trips :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    donner meat fries in charcoal grill, yum yum :D

Divine:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Curry cheese chips from the kebab house. that's what i'm talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Del Rio's RIP.
    THe original Italian take away in Galway which closed a long time ago. The staff were actually Italian (as opposed to the Polish & Chinese guys in Mario's in Barna) and they would talk about football while they deep fried your battered sausage ***mouth waters as he types***

Anyone else remember Del Rio's?

Bake N' Take?
    Beefeaters?
    Wimpy?

I don't think I ever eat from these joints whilst I was sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

JIZZLORD wrote: »

I see and approve your choice of food, Kebab house all the way, try the above with garlic sauce on top and throw in a monster burger with everything on it but NO TOMATOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

JIZZLORD wrote: »

Duurty, but it tastes like honey licked off Keira Knightly when you're pissed!

Where was Del Rio's? I remember the Wimpy though...deeecent!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anima wrote: »
    Kebab House for all your greasy needs

amen
    Duurty, but it tastes like licking honey off Keira Knightly when you're pissed!
    Cheers for image!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

kebab house and salt n pepper in salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

kebab house and salt n pepper in salthill.

salt and pepper have seriously gone downhill over the past few years, they seem also to change the staff more than enough too..

mid to late 90's salt and pepper was the place to eat in salthill, at least its still better than supermac's though..

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Keedowah wrote: »

When you eat in there, it is really good but the take away is muck. Fish and chips in a cardboard box, like a supermacs snackbox?! Not good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Del Rio's RIP.
    THe original Italian take away in Galway which closed a long time ago. The staff were actually Italian (as opposed to the Polish & Chinese guys in Mario's in Barna) and they would talk about football while they deep fried your battered sausage ***mouth waters as he types***

Bake N' Take?
    Beefeaters?
    Wimpy?

Del Rio's was quality, i went to school with one of the lads, sound as a bell.

Beefeaters was good, quality curry.

My favourite though was the old Salt n Pepper.They used to do quality chips, don't know if their supplier changed or its the new cooking units but they just ain't the same.Still do a proper 1/4 punder though.

Wimpy was rough, it was like a cattle mart the queing system, you were always guaranteed a fight outside on the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Salt n Pepper was brilliant years ago but not great these days, the Garlic sauce is mank, more a vinegar taste from it:mad:

Was a McDonaghs fan for manys a year however I think their food has gotten extremely greasy recently (even for fish and chips). The food in KOF is top quality and in my humble opinion the best chipper in town.

If you're looking for a burger or a kebab look no further then Charcoal Grill. 1/4 pounder with cheese is quality. Mmmm Charcoal Grill.
    Funnily enough I ended up going in to KOF instead. It was delicious! Totally satisfied the craving

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Ah, does poor auld Pat McDonagh and Supermas not get a look in?

Love their curry chips. That said Kebab house are particularly spectacular after a feed of pints in the Róisín, especially the chip butty thing they have with all the sauces.

Mmmm!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Duurty, but it tastes like honey licked off Keira Knightly when you're pissed!
    How does that taste? I've only ever licked honey off her when I'm stone cold sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Del Rio's RIP.

Bake N' Take?
    Beefeaters?
    Wimpy?

Del Rio's was miles ahead of the competition, I was passing by there with some friends the other night and we all started grumbling that we had to go to "Super"macs...missed Del Rio's. A curry chip (drenched in vinegar) with the monster onion rings they used to make..that, my friends, was good living.

There have been lot's of pretenders since Del Rio closed but none really come close (that chipper on Domnic street near Monroe's ain't bad though).

How does that taste? I've only ever licked honey off her when I'm stone cold sober.

Sorry should have put a comma after Knightly. Tut tut, no excuse for bad grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Del Rio's RIP.

I remember Del Rio's! I used to live beside them in knocknacarra. The food in there was unbeatable..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anyone remember Hannibal's on Lower Dominick St? Man alive, I'd kill for one of their BLTs, to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Any chance of a poll?

Advertisement