Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If you are really old, you might remeber a shortlived place called Kaspers on Mary Street (around the corner from GPO nightclub0. It opened 24 hours a day. It was busy up until 6am but sis no business between 6am and lunchtime. Oh and the food was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

don't forget about the one which was between the GPO and The Great Outdoors

cant remember name though (something like buck rogers , maybe not though)

and the one that used to be across from Roisin Dubh, Hannibals i think it was... now that was good food

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

don't forget about the one which was between the GPO and The Great Outdoors

cant remember name though (something like buck rogers , maybe not though)

and the one that used to be across from Roisin Dubh, Hannibals i think it was... now that was good food
    It was Buck Rogers all right, there was another one on Prospect Hill as well. I vaguely remember it was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Chicken donner and fries in Charcoal Grill is the way to go man!

I wish there was a KFC in Galway, it's a perfect hangover cure although it gives a friend of mine really potent farts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was in the charcoal grill the other week and I have to say I found their food overpriced and pretty poor could get the same freezer food from any half arsed chipper in the country. Wouldn't be going back in a hurry, could say the same thing about McDonaghs. Overcooked chips and insanely greasy.

Actually the more I think about it I haven't had a decent meal in Galway city for a while. I went to one of those restaurants across from McDonaghs with an American friend and wasn't all that impressed either. I know their only there to rape the tourists but still, they could put in a bit of effort.

You can get far better food (even chipper food) in just about any other small town in the county.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think people do overrate chips here a lot, especially in mcdonaghs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i cant believe people rate the chips from th charcoal grill.
    mc donaghs ones are grand but the kettle of fish have some of the best in town. but as i mentioned earlier, kebab house all the way when it comes to my curry cheese chips

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

i think mc donaghs is really over rated, espically when you compare it to kettel of fish.

any one tried their battered mars bar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

of yes, yes i have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i cant believe people rate the chips from th charcoal grill.

Yea the chips in charcoal aren't anything special.They're pretty bog standard greasy spoon chips. That being said they are really just mandatory filling when maunching down on a quality kebab or quater pounder with cheese (or god forbid a half pounder - oh the meat sweats!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I too find the chips and the fish to be very over-rated in McDonaghs. Greasy to the point of being sickly. The fish is very fresh, but the batter isn't the best.

I find the Charcoal grill to be hot and cold, with the quality not being the same as it used to be. The unfriendly service has remained the same though. A smile wouldn't kill the lads behind the counter. The last few times I have been in Galway on the batter I have found myself in the late night shop across the road from Cuba, late night breakfast roll for the win.

I lived in Galway for 5 years and always found the chipper situation to be dire enough, nothing really stood out. It is one of the things that Dublin just does better, every village/community in Dublin usually has at least one top class chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Haven't eaten in Mc Donaghs in donkeys, the last 2-3 times i got a fish n chips in there i got more batter than fish, its totally overrated.Get Conlons on a good day and they are excellent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've begun to suspect the last few times I've got Fish'n'chips in McDonaghs, that they aren't preparing the fish themselves anymore.

Time was when you would see them battering the fish but now it all seems to come in suspiciously uniform shapes. I still think the chips are great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Actually I just remembered that la Salsa are staying open til 2 or 3 am from now on. Bit expensive but the food is quality. Great chips as well

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I wish there was a KFC in Galway, it's a perfect hangover cure although it gives a friend of mine really potent farts.

KFC is evil. I've only ever had one and I barfed it up right after eating it. Complete muck

anyway all multi-national restaurants like McDonalds/KFC/Burger King, even the bould supermacs should be banned from the discussion! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Ya, i've never been dying about Mcdonaghs, chips are lovely but fish is way way too greasy, i feel so ill afterwards.

Conlons is really good, but that said haven't been since their swanky new renovation so dont know if its as good now.

Really like kettle of fish tho, yumyum. Charcoal grill chips are pretty crappy, and i prefer the Mary st gaff to the one on cross st i must say.

Chips in Vinnys are pretty sweet too but the staff freak me out in there!!

Nothing soothes a hangover like La Salsa tho, and man o me, their cinnamon churros are AM~AZING!!!!!

We could do witha Jackie Lennox' up here tho, the only thing I miss about Cork **slobber** Drool**

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's not like that muck needs to be banned, nobody should mention it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tobiesheba

Currently a Vinnies' fan. Have transfered my allegiance from McDonaghs. Used to be a big fan of Gourmet Burger but considering they didn't last very long I must have been the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

Charcoal Grill 'nuf said. I'd be quite partial to a Supermacs too though...

• Advertisement

tobiesheba wrote: »
    Currently a Vinnies' fan. Have transfered my allegiance from McDonaghs. Used to be a big fan of Gourmet Burger but considering they didn't last very long I must have been the only one!

Vinnies are nice but make you feel like **** after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tobiesheba

Has anybody ever come home after a night out and a delicious Supermac's and vowed you're going to eat there sober because it's so good... But it's never as tasty when you're sober. This happens me regularly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

OOOOOOOOOOOHHH Gourmet burger...... that place was bloody good.

The new creperies thats there is pretty nice tho, but it dont have the grease factor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd love a KFC, Burger King and Pizza Hut in Galway. Don't know whats taking them so long to get here. A Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Doughnuts would be nice aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Breast of chicken and chips in Kettle of Fish is quality, have a craving for it now, miles ahead of McDonaghs. More expensive I think, but worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Has anybody ever come home after a night out and a delicious Supermac's and vowed you're going to eat there sober because it's so good... But it's never as tasty when you're sober. This happens me regularly!

Supermacs is very good if you get a grill order, majority of the time though its sitting there a while before you eat it.
    Bridge St during the day is good for grill orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Salt'nPepper in salthill, best ever although i dont know if they do chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Here's an oldie for ya. Super Burger beside the old savoy on Eglinton Street, now that was a chipper, and they filled up the bag with chips, Very Decent prices,

paconnors wrote: »
    Here's an oldie for ya. Super Burger beside the old savoy on Eglinton Street, now that was a chipper, and they filled up the bag with chips, Very Decent prices,

In the early 80's, my Dad used to treat us to a chips from Pat's Take Away on Cross Street (it's currently a dry cleaners). The chips were wraped in newspaper. They were always drowned in vinegar. Lovely.

Ahhh, the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Sausage Supper

2 sausages,beans & chips.

Memories

Advertisement