Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

ErnieBert wrote: »
    In the early 80's, my Dad used to treat us to a chips from Pat's Take Away on Cross Street (it's currently a dry cleaners). The chips were wraped in newspaper. They were always drowned in vinegar. Lovely.

Ahhh, the memories.

Was that not where Kettle of Fish is these days? Then it became the Toucan, then the chinese?

I remember the bags of chips from the Toucan; big brown bag full to the brim with just the right amount of salt and vinegar - the place had no furniture, and just a hole in the wall at the back where they took your order and gave you your food.

Nowadays, Kettle of Fish for the burgers, Eds New York Pizza for the chips, Supermacs for the chicken, Vinnies for the battered sausage, between Eds meal-for-3-deal and Monroes for the Pizza, Curry House for the chinese, Charcoal Grill for the donor, and back to Kettle of Fish for the friendly service. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I really like the pizzas in the Mustard Seed across from the Cornstore. They're all made fresh and they're really good quality. Someone told me that the chef is the guy that used to make the pizzas that you could get in Massimos. The homemade beefburgers that they serve there are pretty killer too. Crap, I'm hungry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Kettle of Fish:
    Oh hi, we like to put batter on EVERYTHING

kettleoffish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Giovannis in Oranmore - decent fish and chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Kettle of Fish, Cross St..... first time having a lemon sole n chips there yesterday, freekin yum!.... get yourself a fresh loaf of bread from the Gourmet Tart Co., some tartar sauce and the combination down by the river in the sunshine was ;0

McDonaghs no more (waaay too much greasy batter for me taste)

http://www.qype.ie/place/134041-kettle-of-fish-Galway

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Does anyone remember the Wimpy where the celler bar is now ?
    Gravy chips mmm fantastic lol.
    Mind you I think I was about 8 years old at that stage, but I can still taste them mmmmm.

Other than that it's Vinnys Chips , Charcoal Grills Mixed Doner , And Supermacs Breasts of Chicken with Curry sauce..
    That normally does the trick on a Saturday or Sunday morning lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fey! wrote: »
    Nowadays, Kettle of Fish for the burgers, Eds New York Pizza for the chips, Supermacs for the chicken, Vinnies for the battered sausage, between Eds meal-for-3-deal and Monroes for the Pizza, Curry House for the chinese, Charcoal Grill for the donor, and back to Kettle of Fish for the friendly service. :P
    I thought the burgers in kettle of fish where very disappointing, very small for the price didn't even fill the bun. Everything else is top notch, best chipper I've been to in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

so why did Del Rio's close if it was so good? never went there unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Sorry.. Kettle o Fish is the WORST chipper in Galway. The staff are terrible and the food is a reflection of them. Better off heading home hungry/

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Sorry.. The staff are terrible and the food is a reflection of them. Better off heading home hungry/
    REally,I found the staff there to be the freindliest of any chipper in Galway.Whenever I was in there I actually had a conversation with whoever served Me.It wasn't just the usual take your order,take your money and then mumble thanks.The batterd mars bar I'll admit is one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted,although I got the nicest peice of cod in there the last day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 oi softlad

can't believe no one has mentioned try bites in ballybane years ago, top notch scran, seeing that bastard banner at the ireland matches is like a dagger through the heart, ha ha

REally,I found the staff there to be the freindliest of any chipper in Galway.Whenever I was in there I actually had a conversation with whoever served Me.It wasn't just the usual take your order,take your money and then mumble thanks.The batterd mars bar I'll admit is one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted,although I got the nicest peice of cod in there the last day.

Well when I went in on Saturday nite the guy serving behind the counter was extremely drunk. He kept on taking orders and not giving any food out. We could see our food in its bag waiting to get to us but he wouldn't hand it over. When we eventually got it the chips were nasty and there was the tinniest piece of fish in a pile of batter. When we complained he told us and others to "f%$k off to supermacs".

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

thats a fairly serious accusation

so your saying the lad working there was drunk? what did he look like?
    they hit a ba patch for awhile, the staff didnt seem to care but the owner started working more and more and the quality came back and now its the best chipper in town again

however read through these threads and nobody mentioned the old greatest

THE SNACKBOX ladies and gentlemen, oh that was fine dining 3am style
    john the legend getting 40 orders thrown at him at the one time and knowing exactly who ordered what, the man was a legend

shaggykev wrote: »
    thats a fairly serious accusation

so your saying the lad working there was drunk? what did he look like?
    they hit a ba patch for awhile, the staff didnt seem to care but the owner started working more and more and the quality came back and now its the best chipper in town again

My mistake-it was actually Friday night. I've been in plenty of times when the owner was working there and never had a problem. But on the night there were two people cooking and then this drunk fella attempting to take orders. It only takes one bad experience to ruin a place for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Im after getting a hankering for taco fries, so where in galway does the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

plonk wrote: »
    Im after getting a hankering for taco fries, so where in galway does the best?

People say Charcoal grill but to be honest with you I like Supermacs ones the best but I'm sure plenty people will suggest something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

La Salsa taco fries are incredible, also Kebab House past Roisin Dubh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

kfc is open in ballybrit now lovely chicken
    also the best place to get a kebab was abrakababra pity it is gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Only eaten at the Kettle of Fish a few times, but it was excellent every time. Owner is a nice bloke too.

Strictly not a chipper, but for a major chicken taste sensation go for the 5 spice chicken wings in Mustard, they have different types of chips and wedges there too. Srum-didely-umptious.

Respect to the person who mentioned Buck Rogers :D

/offtopic mode engaged

Does anyone remember the lunch buffet in the Drum years ago circa Buck Rogers days? Also the "dinners" in the GPO nightclub with your meal ticket, music stops = time for curry and rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Only eaten at the Kettle of Fish a few times, but it was excellent every time. Owner is a nice bloke too.

Strictly not a chipper, but for a major chicken taste sensation go for the 5 spice chicken wings in Mustard, they have different types of chips and wedges there too. Srum-didely-umptious.

Respect to the person who mentioned Buck Rogers :D

/offtopic mode engaged

Does anyone remember the lunch buffet in the Drum years ago circa Buck Rogers days? Also the "dinners" in the GPO nightclub with your meal ticket, music stops = time for curry and rice.

Time to go back to the home Grampa! Although I remember hearing on Ray Darcy years ago that apparently that's still a law that food must be served but its just not enforced anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

Looks like we're developing a competitive kebab market in Galway. The Capital on Eglington gives a good feed for a tenner. That other new one on Bridge St- not too bad. One opening on shop street that used to sell crepes and another up in Eyre Sq. Great times to be a fat lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

had capones in knocknacarra on sat night. twas terrible wont get it again unless they improve it shared a pizza and some curry chips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Kettle of Fish or Charcoal Grill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 grainnek

For fish and chips it has to be Jack Jordans in Doughiska:) you have to wait a while but i dont mind as its cooked fresh...used to love the taco in Abra on Eyre sq but thats now gone:(..supermacs taco isnt quite the same although in the early hours of the morning we dont seem to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I think McDonagh's has gone downhill in recent years. Kettle O' Fish has much better fish and chips. Unfortunately, it's got one of the most pokey, cold interiors in the city.

McDonagh's has the atmosphere. Kettle has the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I've always gone to Mcdonaughs but I might check out KOF after all these reviews. I have noticed Mcdonaughs have gone downhill in the last while.
    Best Burger and chips combo in town for me has to be La Salsa in shop street, for some reason though the chips in the other La Salsa taste completely different and just aren't as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

The best kebabs in Galway at the moment have to be the Square Grill (beside scuttermacs in Eyre Sq.). When you've had a kebab in there, you realise Charcoal has been serving muck and getting away with it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The best kebabs in Galway at the moment have to be the Square Grill (beside scuttermacs in Eyre Sq.). When you've had a kebab in there, you realise Charcoal has been serving muck and getting away with it for ages.

Ah, it's okay. My friend and I go there at 3am when scuthermacs is packed with drunks (even if drunk ourselves). It's usually empty. I find the doner meat has a strange aromatic flavour (maybe that's the way it's supposed the be) and is a bit dry. Usually find Charcoal quite tasty if I'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

not a chance you go to tasty bites in ballybane sc and get a kebab there it is twice the size of a normal kebab,you can also get a doner wrap which is the size of an original kebab and the chips are georgous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 numbskull20

Salt 'n' Pepper is rank. I ate there for the first time today. Got a snack box and the chips were ****. You could get better oven chips from the supermarket. The skin on the chicken was very soggy. Don't bother eating there.

The chips in Vinnie's are alright. I have yet to find a decent burger anywhere. Those bland, grey coloured patties you get in most burgers are muck.

Advertisement