Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

03 Fiat Punto - loud engine noise??

Options
  • 10-08-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Was driving my fiat punto today grand no problem, when all off a sudden I thought a boy racer with about 15 exhausts was behind me cos of the noise but then I realised it was my car.

When I stopped teh car, there was no loud noise coming out of the exhaust but the engine seemed louder than normal...

Any suggestions what could be wrong??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Describe the noise a little better. Is it a knocking, a drone, a squeal or a roar?

Based on what you've said in your post above, I'd start by checking your exhaust system. A silencer may be kaput or a pipe may be broken or have a hole in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I saw that happen to the same car as you and the back box fell off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

crosstownk wrote: »
    Describe the noise a little better. Is it a knocking, a drone, a squeal or a roar.

Do you know when a modified / boy racer car roars by you (the cars with 2 or 3 exhausts), it sounded like one of these cars was right behind me.

Plug, can I ask a stupid question and ask what the black box is????

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen the back box fall off a 1996 (well, not strictly true, I was IN the car when it fell off) Punto, its also possible there's a hole rusted in one of the pipes or the box - Fiat exhausts do have the odd rust problem still...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Its the back part of the exhuast it looks like a box.

• Advertisement

musicfan wrote: »
    Do you know when a modified / boy racer car roars by you (the cars with 2 or 3 exhausts), it sounded like one of these cars was right behind me.

Plug, can I ask a stupid question and ask what the black box is????

"back box" = the last 'box' on your exhaust system, there's generally (at least) two - the front one is the catalytic convertor and the rear one is the silencer.

Back Box - sorry I misread that!!!!!

Do you think it wud it be safe to drive it until I get it to a garage at the weekend?

Can I ask what the back box is????

Also referred to as the tailpipe or rear silencer. Check here.

I'd say you have an exhaust problem. Others have mentioned back boxes falling off - it's not uncommon.

Thanks for that but is it safe to drive until the weekend when I can get to a garage???

Basically, yes. The box could in theory fall off if this is the problem and this could be dangerous - however under normal circumstances you're grand.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Basically, yes. The box could in theory fall off if this is the problem and this could be dangerous - however under normal circumstances you're grand.

Wont be driving much just kinda locally - but how dangerous? What would happen if the box fell off????

What would happen if the box fell off????
    It would get left behind on the road or may drag under the car for a spell before falling off. Your car would be very noisy and you basically need a new silencer. Advance or similar would be the place to go to have it repaired.

Advertisement