Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ

• 10-08-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

hey all

not sure if i am in the right place but basically i am just wondering about food for bbq?

i am planning on having on in the next couple weeks [weather pending of course] and just trying to get a few things together

i am going to make chicken squewers [spelling], will have some nice thick sausages. now i am planning on making the burgers myself so was wondering how much mince i would need?

also does anyone know how to make falafel burgers? was going to give a few a go for the laugh

also regarding salad stuff - i was going to make baby potato salad and some cous cous. then just have the usual lettuce, toms etc

any ideas appreciated? just want to get things organised - at least then i know what i am cooking :)

thanks a million
    CK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I've been planning on having a bbq all summer, but the weather's been too bad :(

Here's some suggestions:

From the bbq:
    Hot dogs
    Sausages
    Pork chops
    Burgers (1kg of mince should make around 12-15 burgers)
    Beef/chicken/lamb/prawn skewers with peppers/onions/mushrooms/pineapple
    Stuffed mushrooms/tomatoes/peppers

Cold sides:
    Coleslaw
    Potato salad - chunky baby potatoes or potato mash
    Pasta salads - pesto, pine nuts, spinnach and parmesan or tomato sauce
    Rice salad
    Cous cous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd usually allow 1/4 pound meat for a burger, which is 4 oz. 110g (ish). Lamb is also very successful.

Falafel burgers can be tricky enough - as they don't stick together very well on the BBQ grill. If you had a solid hot plate/pan you'd be better off frying them in some oil I reckon. I'd love to get the veggie burger recipe from Jo Burger as they seem nice and moist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 big mug of T

Karen,
    Try some fish, they work really well on a BBQ
    Get some Red Mullet or Mackerel with heads and innards removed and just grill them on the BBQ for 15 to 20 mins and the meat will literally fall away from the bones
    Another suggestion is some of the meatier fish like fresh tuna steak or swordfish to grill (once again 15 to 20 mins)
    YUMMY

For a side dish get a packet of the schwartz roasted spanish vegetables mix and follow instructions (add peppers, baby potatoes, shallots etc) and bake in oven.

enjoy! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I use 1 pound of round mince and get 8-9 burgers from that - i have a 'burger maker' press thing where you put the mix in between 2 wax discs, push down and you get a perfect burger. For the burgers I use a food processor :
    - 1 large onion chopped and cooked in the microwave for a few mins in some butter
    - 1 courgette grated in food processor
    - Add onion to courgette and start the food processor
    - Add mince in pieces
    - Turn off FP and season well with salt, pepper and a dash of bbq sauce
    - Add in some bread crumbs - enough to cover the top of the meat mix
    - Turn FP back on - the mix should form a ball like dough
    - Turn off FP, shape burgers and leave in the fridge till bbq time - i used 2-3 tablespoons in the press

Here's the one I have - link - highly recommended no more meaty hands and no more boys fighting over who gets the biggest burger! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

hey all

thanks a million for everything - doesnt look like we will get the weather for it so thinking of just making a nice home made chicken/lamb curry with some rice or pasta dish.
    there is about 10-15 people coming so kinda need something that isnt too hard to cook and will last

• Advertisement
Advertisement