Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round Tower at Rathmichael?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Well, I'm guessing it's Rathmichael...

You can see it from the Wyatville as you head towards the N11/M50 from Dun Laoghaire direction.

What I'm wondering is, how do you get to it?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its a chimney for the old lead mines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Oh. Looked like a round tower. :(

Is it accessible? If so, how do I get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oddly enough, someone ask the same question recently, but I can't find the thread.

Its here - you can see the shadow: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shankill+dublin&ie=UTF8&ll=53.22449,-6.163942&spn=0.001519,0.003433&t=h&z=18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

It is accessible but you cannot climb to the top as the external circular staircase is not fully intact. There is a collite car park a short way away just off the barnaslingan lane/murphys lane road near kiltrrnan. You could combine a stroll to the tower with an easy walk to the top of Carrickgollogan for some great views out over enniskerry/bray and the sugar loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Windy up there! You would think the chimney was going to suck you in...

• Advertisement

When I was a kid you used to be able to walk part of the way up to the chimney in the tunnel that connected to it to the old smelting works. Don't know if that tunnel is still there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thanks everyone. I'll make it my Sunday trip next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Thanks for that link Serialcomplainer - good article!

Advertisement