Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavalier scratching

Options
  • 10-08-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

I have a rescue cavalier who is between 8-13 she has a very bad heart and is on meds which is controlling her heart at the moment. Her problem at the moment is her constant scratching mostly on her stomach and her front legs. It is so bad that she is tearing herself. I will have her at the vets tomorrow but has anyone any ides what this could be. She hasnt got fleas, first thing i looked and treated her for. Any suggestions how to help with this itching till i get her to vet tomorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Coppernlucy

is all your other dogs scrathing or just the cav? how long have you got him and is he looking for a home ? Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could be a reaction to medication she is on but could also easily be a case of mites with the warm weather and everything. Vet might have to do a skin scraping to check for mites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

is all your other dogs scrathing or just the cav? how long have you got him and is he looking for a home ? Lucy
    No, none of the other dogs are scratching. Have been taking to the vet on the phone just to see if there is anything i can do till morning to help the itching, with out seen her till morning he thinks it is part of her condition, apparently this can happen, something to do with the build up of fluid. Have gave her a warm bath with medicated shampoo and it does seem to have eased her a bit. When i think of it another cav i had Sam who died last Oct of this heart condition developed this as well, i think they had to give him injections to ease the itching.
    Sorry no Millie is here to stay have had her about 6 months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I have seen this on my aunts terrier. He is constantly scratching himself albeit he is not bad at all when it is cool. She has tried lots of things to no avail. I think you should get a company in to lay a mist to disinfect the house and throw out her bed or where she sleeps. Some dogs are more affected by mites/fleas/whatever.

how many dogs have you got ? if you dont mind me asking:P you seem to have one of each breed liveing with you ' i would love my house to be like that :o ... cant believe it was last october when your Cav passed away i could have sworn i only seen you post about it a wile ago on another site :confused: maybe i,m dreaming ' are you Mary 1 from pi ? and all them other sites :) i think i met you before ' you helped me out when i was badly stuck with a littler of pups:p you were fantastic:o

• Advertisement

how many dogs have you got ? if you dont mind me asking:P you seem to have one of each breed liveing with you ' i would love my house to be like that :o ... cant believe it was last october when your Cav passed away i could have sworn i only seen you post about it a wile ago on another site :confused: maybe i,m dreaming ' are you Mary 1 from pi ? and all them other sites :) i think i met you before ' you helped me out when i was badly stuck with a littler of pups:p you were fantastic:o

Dont mind u asking at all. at the moment i have 2 cavs, 2 yorkies a pit and a boxer. As well as 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs and tropical fish. It was last october when Sam died but i had another cav that stayed with me for a couple of months as she was in the last stages of this heart prob, she died a couple of months ago. All my dogs are rescue apart from the boxer who is 7 and my first cav who is nearly 3. Which litter of pups were u?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think mary helped me out before too.

I think mary helped me out before too.
    Did i? Tell me more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Hi Mary, if you cav is scratching that intensely you may want to have a read over the below site and perhaps raise the possibility with your vet.

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

Arcadian wrote: »
    Hi Mary, if you cav is scratching that intensely you may want to have a read over the below site and perhaps raise the possibility with your vet.

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/
    Thanks have read this already and i will bring it up with vet this eve but i dont think it is. Apart from the itching which is not in the same place as the article says Millie has none of the other symtoms. i really think it is what Sam had but not sure yet.

• Advertisement

well you might remember Angela with the 4 black terrier x pups just before xmas and you said they were vac,d but she never got the vac card off you and they ended up sick and there was a bith of a disagreement :confused: over wether they were vac,d or not . I was the girl who rang you to say i believed you:o i also talked to you around April to see if you had any small breed pups but never got back to you .Sorry. what pups do you have for homeing now? let me know what you have and i will help you find homes . I have a little Yorkie myself and i remebered you telling me about yours. any pitures ?:o

And how di your little Cav get on at the vets ? Did they help you ?

well you might remember Angela with the 4 black terrier x pups just before xmas and you said they were vac,d but she never got the vac card off you and they ended up sick and there was a bith of a disagreement :confused: over wether they were vac,d or not . I was the girl who rang you to say i believed you:o i also talked to you around April to see if you had any small breed pups but never got back to you .Sorry. what pups do you have for homeing now? let me know what you have and i will help you find homes . I have a little Yorkie myself and i remebered you telling me about yours. any pitures ?:o

I dont think that was me the only litter of pups i have had is Cody and her pups, a litter of rottie pups who went to England and Lucy the terrier pup who was brown all the others i have rescued have mostly been boxers. Oh and a pointer pup. all these pups were this yr.

Could u pm me this Angela no. as i would like to check this out. All the pups and dogs that i have rehomed have all be vac and wormed some chipped, all by a vet. As i stated above untill this feb, just looked the date up, this was the first time that i had taken pups in as before this i didnt have proper facillaties for pups.
    I know u put ur post up with good intentions but anyone reading this would think i home dogs and pups without be vac and health checked by a vet, all my animals whever pup, dog, kittens or cats are sent to there new home with a card.
    Did this Angela home 4 pups????

i think you took them because there was a bith of boxer in them . Cant remeber were they ended up i will ring Angela later and tell her i bumped into you on here she will probably come on to say hello. Have you any boxers under a year old for homeing now ? and what is the link to your Boxer rescue site ? :o i also talked to you on pi but havent beeon on a wile :rolleyes:

i think you took them because there was a bith of boxer in them . Cant remeber were they ended up i will ring Angela later and tell her i bumped into you on here she will probably come on to say hello. Have you any boxers under a year old for homeing now ? and what is the link to your Boxer rescue site ? :o i also talked to you on pi but havent beeon on a wile :rolleyes:
    Really think u are mistaking, maybe u put her on to me, but i can say hand on heart that i didnt take them. Where they her pups, how old where they?

trying to get it out of my old phones. But dont worry she homed them in the end not you :o i know a family that would home a rescued boxer i,l ask them to get in touch with you on Boxer Rescue . that ok ? thankyou :o

trying to get it out of my old phones. But dont worry she homed them in the end not you :o i know a family that would home a rescued boxer i,l ask them to get in touch with you on Boxer Rescue . that ok ? thankyou :o
    Confused here now, if i didnt have them she homed them herself what is it about the vacs. how could i vac them if i didnt have them:confused:
    My site is not up to date give them my no. :)

Funny that, same thing happened to people I know who took a boxer from a laois rescue too.

Funny that, same thing happened to people I know who took a boxer from a laois rescue too.

Can u let me know what laois rescue, if she got a boxer of me it would have a vac card, a lot of time when i aint got space i will put people on to other people if they have or are looking to home a dog. In that case i can only advice people what to do and if they dont act on it this is not my fault, the same way as i tell them that i cant voucher for the dogs temp.
    Also for that post u quoted i dont understand it. first it seems i had these pups which i havent. Then it says not to worry "Angela " homed them herself seems they were her pups. So i dont get why she would have been phoning me when her dogs got sick cos they wernt vac.
    Please can copperlucy can u clear this up.

• Advertisement

Boxer rescue Ireland, I had handed the dog in and contacted the woman directly through the website. The couple who took the dog also contacted the same person, on the same number.

In what case can you only advise people what to do? What do you mean?

I just got a call from Mary123, the couple who got the dog without the vac card apparently got the card since and did not let me know.

Miscommunication meant that they thought I had owned the dog and handed her in which is why I got an irate phone call re the vac's from the new owners. From what mary said she did not tell them this. There were obviously wires crossed somewhere.

I had heard about a laois rescue who charges vac fees without getting the dog done. When I then got a call from the new owners that this had happened to them, I thought the worst. Then to see another poster saying the same, I jumped to conclusions.

So Mary, heartfelt apologies.

hows your Cav ? is he stil scratching ?

hows your Cav ? is he stil scratching ?

Hi ya , not as bad, the vet thinks its her heart condition, apparently he mentioned something about, cant think of the name, begins with m that shoulds be absorbed through ur blood but because of her condition it cant and is trying to escape through her skin instead. He says he has seen it countless times, could give her steroid injections but doesnt want to as with everythibg else might shorten her life, so at moment i can only ease the itching with med shampoo, has done bloods and scraping just in case.
    Can u pm me ur no or if u rather i cam pm u mine. Need to talk to u about them pups. thanks

Advertisement