Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom destroying pings

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Same here, with Esat BT and they upgraded the exchange last weekend AND ITS GOT SLOWER!!!!! WTF!

I'm on a lower contention as well, They say its 4mb and with the upgrade this would double to 8MB (in reality the 4mb was actually reg ISP speed testing at 2.70/ 2.80Mbps.)

After the "Upgrade" its reg testing at 1.80/1.50 Mbps, a major drop off. Twice in the last few days it was making BF Bad Company XB360 online an unplayable freeze frame/choppy lag.

They have made it worse. Will be on to them tomorrow. When will Ireland get proper 1st World (ie US quality) line speed?. Is Ireland regressing to the Stone Age> 56k Dial up. :(

Please fix this now ISP.(Esat BT)

anyone else (Online Gamers out there) getting teh same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yep I've been onto BT about this issue aswell. I'm now getting pings to my own clans UK servers of between 90 - 130 when I used to get 30 - 60. A lot of the time now its unplayable so rang them and asked wtf was going on. They told me they are investigating it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Seifer wrote: »
    Contention ratios here. The 3mb eircom home plus has a ratio of 24:1.

that's a mistake on their page, the contention ratio on their 3Mb & 1Mb products is set at 48:1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That won't make a difference, your line speed won't effect your ping. Eircom doubled capacity without doing anything major to their infrastructure in order to compete with other providers. Welcome to the backlash of that disaster. That's what is driving up pings.

Wrong there.. Interleaving is error correction on the connection between your modem and the dslam.
    They dont interleave their fibre networks. What would be the point?? The connection is fibre. No lost packets.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Same here, with Esat BT and they upgraded the exchange last weekend AND ITS GOT SLOWER!!!!! WTF!

I'm on a lower contention as well, They say its 4mb and with the upgrade this would double to 8MB (in reality the 4mb was actually reg ISP speed testing at 2.70/ 2.80Mbps.)

After the "Upgrade" its reg testing at 1.80/1.50 Mbps, a major drop off. Twice in the last few days it was making BF Bad Company XB360 online an unplayable freeze frame/choppy lag.

They have made it worse. Will be on to them tomorrow. When will Ireland get proper 1st World (ie US quality) line speed?. Is Ireland regressing to the Stone Age> 56k Dial up.

Please fix this now ISP.(Esat BT)

anyone else (Online Gamers out there) getting teh same problem?

Yeah, same problem with games. I'm with Eircom though. I phoned them yesterday, the guy on the other end checked the line and said everything looked great. I explained to him that this wasn't the case - while my download throughput was much faster, my lag for games was atrocious now. Couldn't maintain stable xbox live connection, and trying to play Halo or BF: Bad Company was impossible (disconnects all the time). I asked him to downgrade me to the settings we had before this upgrade fiasco, which he did. While my general web browsing got much faster (back to the way it was!), my issues with game connectivity remain.

What the hell did they do to my connection?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Wrong there.. Interleaving is error correction on the connection between your modem and the dslam.
    They dont interleave their fibre networks. What would be the point?? The connection is fibre. No lost packets.

The Fibre MUCs are susceptible to packet loss if left under stress. All Networking equipment is. And the links to the exchange are so old and they were bad when they were first installed. Tbh some of the best lines out there are some of the oldest as the copper was purer then. And the links to the exchanges can't handle the increased speeds without interleaving to handle them. So what I am saying is that the infrastructure(the links to the houses) which is Eircoms responsibility it incapable of handling the stress of increased speeds.

As for Eircoms backbone, thats also rubbish. But that's a problem that will get worse when everybody starts taking advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

My speed was upgraded about 2 weeks agao.
    Since then Xbox live has been crap for me , disconnects , random DSL sync losses , games very laggy etc.
    Ping is around 90ms
    It's driving me mad.
    I'm going to contact them and request a downgrade back to 3mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

I also am **** over pings..call of duty 4 multilayer is a real pain..used to get 60ms ..now its 125ms if im lucky...

Anyway..this is the response they sent when i complained...
    ps: on bt package 3 - i get 6meg downloads(big deal!), whats wrong with 3??

cut here
    The high ping times with your connection is being caused by interleaving being switched on, on your telephone line. Eircom has done this on a lot of connections as interleaving adapts and corrects for noise on the line so they can deliver higher speeds. This is part of the upgrades Eircom has done on all of the exchanges around the country. The result of this is higher ping times.
    There is no BT equipment at your local exchange so BT has no power to turn interleaving off. At present Eircom will not turn interleaving off for BT customers. This situation is being investigated by BT management but we have no more information at the moment.
    cut here

anyway..after all that waiting..i requested to be back to option 2 (3 meg), and hope my pings return..as they did with some other gamers..

m.

ps: when do u really get 6meg downloads anyway? im upgraded over a month, and only got it twice on gamespot.com and steam (updating half life etc)...couse its handy when download a big game demo or something, but for the sake of another few mins...who cares? I want my pings back...!

pps: i got 70ms on half life death match..there tonight for an hour...but never on call of duty 4 ...

Went through a boring painfull time last night with eircom as they went through all my setup to see why my pings were so high , even though they weren't before the upgrade , not that the tech support even listened or cared.

Anyway he blamed extensions , sky digital.

They downgraded me to 4mb , still the same
    Then 3mb , still the same.

Then at the end of the conversation he tells me , "i will have to call you back tomorrow sir , my supervisor is not on and i need him to allow me to set your interleaving profile on low , as it's on high at the moment"

i was like "badda-bing !!!!! , talk to you then" :rolleyes:

Well , i'm back on 3 meg with Interleaving profile on low.
    Low and behold my ping is 36ms at the most.
    Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

My ping used to be 40-50 on my clans vent and COD4 server, owned by Jolt.
    Then i was getting up to an average of 170 ...making it unplayable.

So i talked to some of my clanmates about this..and one of them put me onto a program called Traceroute

It basically traced my ping through every node it went through before hitting the desired server, it would also give me details and IPs of each node.

If found it was spiking as it hit a certain Eircom server. I then rang eircom up, explained this in detail with IP of their server and all...and it seems ok now :D

Pings are back to normal.

Heres a few screenies, program is well worth a look :)

BEFORE : http://usera.imagecave.com/SeantheMan/ventrilloPing.JPG

AFTER : http://usera.imagecave.com/SeantheMan/currentvent.JPG

Program : http://visualroute.visualware.com/

SAMPLE :

ping.JPG

EnglishServerPing.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

im going to try this to see if i can fix my 100ms pings thanks

hottstuff wrote: »
    Went through a boring painfull time last night with eircom as they went through all my setup to see why my pings were so high , even though they weren't before the upgrade , not that the tech support even listened or cared.

Anyway he blamed extensions , sky digital.

They downgraded me to 4mb , still the same
    Then 3mb , still the same.

Then at the end of the conversation he tells me , "i will have to call you back tomorrow sir , my supervisor is not on and i need him to allow me to set your interleaving profile on low , as it's on high at the moment"

i was like "badda-bing !!!!! , talk to you then" :rolleyes:

Im with BT..but i switched to Eircom (kicking in, in 2 weeks)...
    BT cant change interleaving...but ONLY EIRCOM can?
    It would seem so...Un-fair competion!

Now my 210 average 2 monthly bill ..eircom have it!

BT should talk to the phone regulator guy!

m.

my pings before upgrade 18ms...now 100ms...BT wanted to charge me 30 to download grand me to 3 meg speeds...so f them...anyway they wont solve the ping problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

oh!

Eircom will turn the interweaving down. I know who i'll be ringing soon

Skittle wrote: »
    So any word? Did your ping change?

i switched from bt..cause they would not take me from 6meg back to 3 for weeks...

so with eircom now..3 meg...

ping times..best ever about 35ms..average 55ms

thats on call of duty 4 multiplayer..

surfin the net is faster than i used to have, due to lower ping times...and how often do u want 6 meg download speed anyway?!!? ant 3 enough!! and its cheaper!

m.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    You think thats bad ??!! I;m stuck on 3 meg till then. God what I wouldn't give to have 7 meg.

trust me..your not missing ANYTHING..

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

My god, did any of you people play on 56k?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Have any of ye tried calling up and checking your Interleaving ? Do that before complaining about it. If its set to High, request a Low interleaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

They will not put low interleaving on the 7.6mb package i.e. the one with the problem.
    My god, did any of you people play on 56k?
    Yeah. Enjoyed it at the time. Would shoot myself if I had to go back now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

perlico wont turn down interleaving either im on the 3 meg package. when i asked them to turn down interleaving after the upgrade fiasco they wouldnt now im sitting here 3 months later with high interleaving on a 3mg package. i might ring them later and ask again but im sick of being on hold for more than 1/2 an hour.

if i change back to eircom will they lower my interleaving setting ? is there anyway to force perlico to do this for me ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Griffin87 wrote:
    if i change back to eircom will they lower my interleaving setting ?
    As long as you're not on the 7.6mb, yes.

Advertisement