Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo Was Not Serious Enough

Options
  • 10-08-2008 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of all the halo games, but its recently come to my attention that the games were not gruesome/Serious enough. I've watched all of the movie teasers used to promote Halo 3 in the past, And its kind of what i wanted the games to be like. In the advert 'Believe', you see the marines being over-run by the covenant and it appears almost real like? but the marines in the games are funny and you don't seem to care for their deaths.

Another visual i loved was the first trailer for Halo Wars, Everything seems much darker and feels more real, the elites appear as a very scary species. I think the Halo movie will take things much more serious and make the audience really feel in depth with the storyline.

If the games were darker and more violent, it might have thrown a lot of the younger fans off the game, I Know kids think of the covenant as funny and just stupid aliens to shoot at, my younger cousins laugh while playing the game. Even the flood were a joke, i was thinking more along the lines of the film Aliens, The master chief going in with the marines and they all get wiped out by more demented looking parasites.

Yeah i know that the characters in game can be funny sometimes, maybe I'm just ranting because i am upset about there not being a Halo 4, But Halo Wars Will have to do me! And if the Halo Movie gets started...:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of all the halo games, but its recently come to my attention that the games were not gruesome/Serious enough. I've watched all of the movie teasers used to promote Halo 3 in the past, And its kind of what i wanted the games to be like. In the advert 'Believe', you see the marines being over-run by the covenant and it appears almost real like? but the marines in the games are funny and you don't seem to care for their deaths.

Another visual i loved was the first trailer for Halo Wars, Everything seems much darker and feels more real, the elites appear as a very scary species. I think the Halo movie will take things much more serious and make the audience really feel in depth with the storyline.

If the games were darker and more violent, it might have thrown a lot of the younger fans off the game, I Know kids think of the covenant as funny and just stupid aliens to shoot at, my younger cousins laugh while playing the game. Even the flood were a joke, i was thinking more along the lines of the film Aliens, The master chief going in with the marines and they all get wiped out by more demented looking parasites.

Yeah i know that the characters in game can be funny sometimes, maybe I'm just ranting because i am upset about there not being a Halo 4, But Halo Wars Will have to do me! And if the Halo Movie gets started...:(

Yeh well that was all just marketing to generate emotions and buzz for the games release. The story for Halo always kind of ****e to say the least but it was great mindless fun with a few buddies. And there will be a Halo 4 (100% certain there will be with Microsoft owning the IP). All these Halo spin offs (Halo Chronicles, Halo Wars, The Tom Clancy type Halo game) are fine by me just as long as we dont start seen Halo Kart or Master Chief & Arbiter at the olympics etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The story of Halo was just the same story as Space Invaders repackaged. The delusions of pretension that were hap-hazardly thrown around in Halo 2 and 3 just made the whole thing laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Not everything has to be an "adult game" i.e. we put in some boobies, blood and some stereotypical "tough guy" characters who are 2d brain damaged American football players dressed up in space marine armour.

Oh and some wanky monologue that could be written better by a junior cert student or was used in Max Payne.

Halo is a "fun" game and is prob all the better than trying to be a "serious game" and as you mentioned about younger players: they do want to sell the game to a big audience as big as possible.

Halo wars will be pretty fluffy as we all know console players are retards and don't understand RTS so it will be made a fisher price friendly as possible ;)

(i did like the fact they were building the controls from the ground up for the consoles and I do like the "paint brush" unit selection method they use for Halo Wars)

but don't worry Halo wars will be just like Halo: average in comparison to whats on the PC but a huge step up for gamers who only ever game on consoles who will think it's the best thing since the sliced pan and won't shut up about it ever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Enjoyed all 3 games, nothing really bad to say about any of them, story was good and enjoyed seeing it through to the end (although it did take me 2 months to get round to actually buying the 3rd). Who cares if it wasn't serious enough it was a game built for enjoyment not serious business. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I always believed that people who thought halo had a plot were an internet myth.

And a halo movie? Aren't they worried that people will start to notice it's a low quality ripoff of every decent sci-fi film ever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The story of Halo was just the same story as Space Invaders repackaged. The delusions of pretension that were hap-hazardly thrown around in Halo 2 and 3 just made the whole thing laughable.

Screw you. Halo 2 and it's story rocked. I loved it. Especially killing those little aliens, reminded me of those ****ing spastic teddy bears from Star Wars. Anyway I was playing Halo for the story. If you want story go play Final Fantasy or somefink. Halo is for the action. Sorry....I'm just, I'm very emotional about Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

CCCP^ wrote:
    I'm just, I'm very emotional about Halo.

In which case I'd like to point out that the Halo series is/was mediocre at best and was hyped beyond all reason by console players who didn't have anything better to compare it to. :D

Zero Punctuations review of Halo 3 pretty much sums up my feelings about Halo.

EDIT: Forgot to include smiley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Screw you. Halo 2 and it's story rocked. I loved it. Especially killing those little aliens, reminded me of those ****ing spastic teddy bears from Star Wars.

They were called Ewoks. Nobody likes them. Nobody.
    Anyway I was playing Halo for the story. If you want story go play Final Fantasy or somefink. Halo is for the action. Sorry....I'm just, I'm very emotional about Halo.

Playing Halo for the story is like watching an Uwe Boll film for the brilliant direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Warning spoilers of a story you wouldn't give a **** about anyway:

Beautiful isn't it. Fantastic acting as well. So tragic, more tragic even than Suikoden 2 or Shadow of the Colossus.

Couldn't find my favourite cutscene. And by favourite I mean laughably bad.

(Base is about to be invaded by Covenant)

Soldier: Where do we go?

Keyes: To war!

Me: Who wrote this shite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Sarky wrote: »
    They were called Ewoks. Nobody likes them. Nobody.

Playing Halo for the story is like watching an Uwe Boll film for the brilliant direction.

Speak for yourself, I love Ewoks. Wicket FTW. :)

Gungans on the other hand.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I liked Halo, even its story :) It wasn't supposed to be a serious game, the 3 games were building you up to be the hero and while the last 2 weaned off a bit, they were still very enjoyable.

When it comes to FPS I like a somewhat interesting story to back up the gunfights (which is why I hate games like Painkiller, serious sam etc). I've recently finished Battlefield: Bad Company and while I found it to be a great game to play, I was wishing all the way through that it had been a bit more serious. Yeah humour is good, but when you've got awesome explosions going off around you and bullets whizzing past, the last thing you really need is your squadmates cracking off jokes or having stupid conversations. It just subtracts from the immersion.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, I love Ewoks. Wicket FTW. :)

Play the Wicket board game and then come back to me and say that.

DarkJager wrote: »
    When it comes to FPS I like a somewhat interesting story to back up the gunfights (which is why I hate games like Painkiller, serious sam etc).

Are....are you dead inside?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I hated painkiller, installed it tried it for about half an hour and then uninstalled it.

halo sucks though.

Are....are you dead inside?

Nope, I just have no time for a game thats simply about shooting wave after wave after wave of neverending enemies - its monotonous to put a word to it.

Nope, I just have no time for a game thats simply about shooting wave after wave after wave of neverending enemies - its monotonous to put a word to it.
    I liked Halo

The defense rests, m'lud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Totally.

Sure Halo 1 was pretty much 10 minutes of outdoor shooting followed by te rest of the game taking place in the same corridor.

But you can't possibly lump Halo into the same genre I just described?? Halo was far from monotonous, you had vehicles to use and there were some genuinely brilliant set pieces. Painkiller doesn't check any of those boxes...

But you can't possibly lump Halo into the same genre I just described??

I can, I can! Look!
    Halo was far from monotonous
    The only explanation I can find for this statement is that you somehow went comatose from the moment the flood arrived and managed to unconsciously play it through. Which wouldn't actually be that hard seeing as the flood AI made the enemies in Doom 1 look like Deep Thought from the Hitch-Hiker's Guid To The Galaxy.
    you had vehicles to use
    All of which handled like a drunk toddler in a shopping trolley. Halo's vehicle sections were truly awful. Then again, the vehicle sections in most FPS games have been terrible, so you can't fault Halo for fitting in with the crowd and doing nothing different here.
    and there were some genuinely brilliant set pieces. Painkiller doesn't check any of those boxes...

The only setpiece that really stands out is the giant scarab robot thing from Halo 3. And they went and spoiled that by making you fight it again. And again.

As far as I remember, Painkiller didn't promise engaging storyline or epic setpieces. And just like Snakes On A Plane, it came through. Halo promiesed the world and gave us a couple of Ewoks in power armour and the a story that reads like it was written by George Lucas without the talent. The only way I played Halo 1 for as long as I did was a morbid fascination at how it kept managing to get worse, and I only played Halo 3 because I was so drunk I couldn't get off the couch by the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I liked Halo, even its story :) It wasn't supposed to be a serious game, the 3 games were building you up to be the hero and while the last 2 weaned off a bit, they were still very enjoyable.

When it comes to FPS I like a somewhat interesting story to back up the gunfights (which is why I hate games like Painkiller, serious sam etc). I've recently finished Battlefield: Bad Company and while I found it to be a great game to play, I was wishing all the way through that it had been a bit more serious. Yeah humour is good, but when you've got awesome explosions going off around you and bullets whizzing past, the last thing you really need is your squadmates cracking off jokes or having stupid conversations. It just subtracts from the immersion.

I think the first Halo game was a lot darker than the other two, and was the more serious one out of the trilogy. I would like to see prequels games based on the novels, which would include thirty-two other Spartans, his background, the start of the war between the humans and covenant, and also get to finally see the master chief without a helmet!

Yeah I've only finished Bad company recently, it was a lot different than Battlefield 2: Modern Combat/Battlefield 2 (PC), The music and characters really make Bad company unique in its own way.

I sometimes felt like i was fighting through the levels just to see comedy sketches, i just wanted to see the other three squad members messing about. The action was really good though, the sound of the guns and explosions were really loud, and the game was always very hectic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Halo 2 multi-player was a great experience on the Xbox. I genuinely enjoyed the story, I found it was difficult enough to keep me engaged, I liked the graphics and thought all in all it was a decent game. I think some of you are pissed off because of the hype it generated, which was a bit much, but when the dust settles, it's still in my top 20. I don't think there was a better FPS on a console before it, unless you maybe count Half-Life 2, Farcry or Doom 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the guns in halo looked like childrens toys as well imo.
    Halo 1 was amazing, the other 2 are good - but not a patch on games like Deus Ex, Half Life etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Beautiful isn't it. Fantastic acting as well. So tragic, more tragic even than Suikoden 2 or Shadow of the Colossus.

Couldn't find my favourite cutscene. And by favourite I mean laughably bad.

(Base is about to be invaded by Covenant)

Soldier: Where do we go?

Keyes: To war!

Me: Who wrote this shite?

Yes it is unfortunate that all games cant have stories about broody effeminate teenage boys accompanied by teenage girls who look like 8yr old girls going on quests to save the world

0ubliette wrote: »
    Yes it is unfortunate that all games cant have stories about broody effeminate teenage boys accompanied by teenage girls who look like 8yr old girls going on quests to save the world

I think we can agree that in general video games have terrible writing.

Halo just happens to be especially atrocious.

Advertisement