Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC what we can expect future broadband speeds

Options
  • 10-08-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

With upc's recent broadband increases it makes it one of the country's best priced and gives some of the best speed's to us. But forget about that what I want to know is what can we expect with upc using hybrid fibre coaxial and hopefully turning off the analougue tv signal it give the company a lot more room to increase speeds and hopefully the quality of it's broadband ...... That sai it probably won't improve the quality of it's customer service. But what speeds do you see upc delieving.

Note virgin media announced plans to have "capacity" to give 200mb/s by 2012 is upc even comparable to that?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well I think they both use the same technology so they could be able to offer the same speeds as virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

a upc bb support lad told me that they hope to have doubled the speeds available now by xmas

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I doubt that will happen, saying that if someone had said that they'd be doing 20Mb broadband to me 4 months before they upgraded I would have doubted that too. I wish the bastards would hurry up and upgrade the network in my area.

*shakes fist*

ha well ya never know, if they can offer 20 when most others are offerin 3-8mb surely they can do better in a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I don't think they need to go any faster for the moment, as there is not much you can do with higher speeds. Turning off analogue won't increase speed either as they aren't short on space(still about 50% sitting empty). They need to focus on other things now VOD,interactive,HD, an improved DVR etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

I was talking to a UPC customer rep who said speeds of upto 40mb will be available hopefully by the end of 2008

EDIT: Just saw Guil's post. Must be true then

cow ya bitch lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

O hai

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I was talking to a UPC customer rep who said speeds of upto 40mb will be available hopefully by the end of 2008

EDIT: Just saw Guil's post. Must be true then

I'd say upc are thinking that if they can increase speeds every 6 months or so they can tie everyone to new 12 month contracts every time but if they do increase the speeds much further they will have to change to docisis 3.0 which depending on how much they have upgraded the area can go up to 100mb +.
    Note upc plan to start hd and vod in late 2008 early 2009 ....... i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'd say upc are thinking that if they can increase speeds every 6 months or so they can tie everyone to new 12 month contracts every time but if they do increase the speeds much further they will have to change to docisis 3.0 which depending on how much they have upgraded the area can go up to 100mb +.
    Note upc plan to start hd and vod in late 2008 early 2009 ....... i think

They've been promising VoD since 2002. This time last year VoD and HD would be rolled out in 2008, now they're saying 2009. I won't hold my breath.

I think they will increase broadband. Now that BT are offering 24Mbps, there is something faster than UPC being offered (though for a higher cost). I reckon UPC are aiming to have the highest packages on the market and will probably upgrade again, just to annoy BT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I think they will increase broadband. Now that BT are offering 24Mbps, there is something faster than UPC being offered (though for a higher cost). I reckon UPC are aiming to have the highest packages on the market and will probably upgrade again, just to annoy BT.
    As a upc customer i can live with the increase in speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

They've been promising VoD since 2002. This time last year VoD and HD would be rolled out in 2008, now they're saying 2009. I won't hold my breath.

Yea but were upc in control of the network in 2002? upc might actually stick to what they tell us :P

Yea but were upc in control of the network in 2002? upc might actually stick to what they tell us :P

They were last year and we still have no VoD or HD. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I wish they'd concentrate on giving their current services to all the areas that don't have access to them.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I wish they'd concentrate on giving their current services to all the areas that don't have access to them.

They're doing that. They've upgraded a massive amount of their network over the last two years. If you have no access, I wouldn't expect it in the near future. I could be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

There meant to be upgrading towns like Athlone and Sligo and a few others (I'm in Athlone and we got a letter in the post saying they would upgrading the network for broadband and phone). But havent a clue when this is going to happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

There meant to be upgrading towns like Athlone and Sligo and a few others (I'm in Athlone and we got a letter in the post saying they would upgrading the network for broadband and phone). But havent a clue when this is going to happen :(

Really? Whereabouts are you? College/woodville/centre/elan

There upgrading my area in finglas at the moment :) cant wait till they hook my house up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

They were last year and we still have no VoD or HD. :P

well they still have time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

They're doing that. They've upgraded a massive amount of their network over the last two years. If you have no access, I wouldn't expect it in the near future. I could be wrong though...
    I'm in South Leitrim outside of the town so I'd say it could be a while before they get as far as me !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Westport and Castlebar are still stuck in the stone ages. We still only get MMDS. So TV only, when do we get our cable?

Ever since they planned to lay the stuff and then pulled out, i'm always hoping that one day they might just lay it!

Seen as they dig up all our roads every 3-6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Westport and Castlebar are still stuck in the stone ages. We still only get MMDS. So TV only, when do we get our cable?

Ever since they planned to lay the stuff and then pulled out, i'm always hoping that one day they might just lay it!

Seen as they dig up all our roads every 3-6 months...

Cable and easily reach speeds over 60 mb, I would me more concerned with regards network congestion..

dunworth1 wrote: »
    well they still have time yet

Not if you go by last years announcement.

There upgrading my area in finglas at the moment :) cant wait till they hook my house up...
    They're upgrading here in Sligo as well. Can't bloody wait.

Not if you go by last years announcement.

Link us... give them a break like i have been waiting so long for ntl to upgrade my area everytime i rang up i was told within 6 months for past few years.. but then upc come along and i get a letter in the door finally saying my house will be upgraded within 6 weeks and fair play they started upgrading on thursday and also they upgraded from 6 to 12 and then from 12 to 20... ok maybe they havent got Vod yet but i think having 20mb broadband is alot better then VoD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Onikage wrote: »
    They upgraded the connections (and I assume cabling) in Oakdale about a month ago.
    (I dont have chorus, only one house has it in the estate, and they put in new cables from the upc manhole to that house.)
    And I saw the same crews in some housing estates on the Roscommon Road.

It was funny, they dropped a letter in my door saying that they will be doing some upgrade works in my estate in a few weeks, ehh ye did the work already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Onikage wrote: »

near the fire station, hopefully there working on it atm as they cable tv cant get any worse. Picture has being skipping/freezing ever since we got it in December, and some channels have completely gone in the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Numericable in France is offering :

Up to 100mbit/s Internet Access (for €19.90 / month! as stand alone)

For

TV basic 120 channels
    Video on Demand
    100mbit/s Internet
    Unlimited phone service to 46 countries worldwide including all of the EU, US,Canada etc
    €29.90 / month!

If you add their all channels options - includes movies and sport, you end up with an €89.90 / month bill. (over 220 channels)

UPC NL is offering :

24mbit/s for €60/month
    Quite a difference in price!

Irish cable's still quite a bit behind the leading edge!

Btw, Numericable's 'fibre enabled areas' are not fibre to the set top box. There is no fibre optic cable actually entering your home.

They're using FTTLA (Fibre To The Last Amplifier) so, there is still a run of coaxial cable to your house from a box on the street somewhere.

They've deployed a pre-standardised version of DOCSIS 3.0 with a view to software updating their boxes to standardise it when the standard's formalised.

Similar boxes to UPCs new ones, mostly made by Thomson and Scientific Atlanta.

I'm not sure what exactly UPC are upgrading to in Ireland.

Is it also a FTTLA system? or, are they just rolling in fibre trunks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i wish they put together a more agressive upgrade plan for the country rather than just doubling speeds. now i know doubling speeds and all is great but they'd get way more customers by widening their customer base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

near the fire station, hopefully there working on it atm as they cable tv cant get any worse. Picture has being skipping/freezing ever since we got it in December, and some channels have completely gone in the last few days.

The digital stations have been a bit bit wonky all over town for the last few weeks but this is the first I've heard of any bb upgrades. About time I say!

Advertisement