Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC what we can expect future broadband speeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

@Cremo: That's true. I'm shocked to hear that Castlebar has no cable network, I would have assumed it had. That's the sort of work which UPC have to carry out to compete with sky.

I live in the Pale, yet there's no cable network within 20 miles of me. Navan is rumoured to have what passes as a patchy coverage network. Otherwise it's Swords or Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark20

UPC have done tests on there lines and can get up to 100 mb speed already but wont release it as of yet.should be available Feb 2009!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Onikage wrote: »
    The digital stations have been a bit bit wonky all over town for the last few weeks but this is the first I've heard of any bb upgrades. About time I say!

got the postcard in the door today saying their working on the upgrades atm, wonder how long it actually takes before I can actually sign up for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Funny, I got a postcard today pimping the crappy digital service and slagging sky. Not a word about broadband :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Any idea what the max upload speed might go to?

At the moment got 1mb upload and it would be great to get this doubled or tripled instead of more download speed.

Ideally something like 3mb up with 30mb down would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Just for those of you who do not have access to UPC BB yet, I'm in Clonsilla and I was told it would be available at the beginning of December.

I certainly cant wait...
    Ive been paying eircon for 2mb BB and they have been giving me an average of 1.5 (this is after a tech guy had been out)

Fun and games.

have they sent you a letter yet saying they would be upgrading the network or drop a postcard in your letterbox saying they are upgrading your network now?

As I have received both and there upgrading my area in Athlone this week and hope to god that I dont have to wait 4 months to get broadband.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

reni10 wrote: »
    Any idea what the max upload speed might go to?

At the moment got 1mb upload and it would be great to get this doubled or tripled instead of more download speed.

Ideally something like 3mb up with 30mb down would be great.
    It's 1.5Mbps upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

It's 1.5Mbps upload.

Its 1 on the 10 Mb package though, maybe thats what he's on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Its 1 on the 10 Mb package though, maybe thats what he's on.
    Ah sorry, I thought he was on about the max package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

have they sent you a letter yet saying they would be upgrading the network or drop a postcard in your letterbox saying they are upgrading your network now?

As I have received both and there upgrading my area in Athlone this week and hope to god that I dont have to wait 4 months to get broadband.

No letters at all. Just those little square jobbies they send out, selling their tv packages. No mention of upgrades, disruption or broadband at all. Quite a few people I've spoken with are in the same boat.

sorry that was meant for Feidhlim, forgot to quote him

Hope only takes a few weeks to get broadband in once an area is upgraded, not having to wait till xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

sorry that was meant for Feidhlim, forgot to quote him

Hope only takes a few weeks to get broadband in once an area is upgraded, not having to wait till xmas.

No I reckon it will be Christmas...
    No postcards yet. I reckon the upgrading hasnt started yet

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

instead of speeding up speed upgrades, i'd prefer them to spend more resources on improving customer services and technical support.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mart_max wrote: »
    instead of speeding up speed upgrades, i'd prefer them to spend more resources on improving customer services and technical support.

That doesn't make sense though - the vast majority of users don't need CS and only see the benefits of faster speeds.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mart_max wrote: »

Personally I'd much prefer they spent most of the money on upgrading their underlying network and this seems to be what they are doing.

NTL's CS and tech support problems in the past stemmed from the awful state of the underlying network, which lead to lots of problems and CS and tech support being swamped.

It is more important to fix the network so that most people don't have problems in the first place and don't need CS and tech support. This also has the benefit of taking the pressure of CS and tech support, so that they have more resources to deal with the situations where people do have problems.

Advertisement