Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottom bracket bearings gone

Options
  • 10-08-2008 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

It started about two weeks ago as an occasional clicking from the b/b area (one click per pedal revolution) but only when pedalling with force. Then a few days ago, I began to notice sponginess when out of the saddle. But I thought it might just be my imagination because I was changing back and forth between two bikes at the time. On a long spin yesterday though, one of the lads noticed grease on my non-drive side crank arm. On examining it back home, I noticed that the crank arm spindle was loose on that side - there's at least a mm of play in the vertical plane. Clearly the bearings are going.

As always though, these sort of bike problems never arise in a normal week - I start a 600 km charity tour on Thursday. Would it be complete idiocy to attempt to ride that distance with a dodgy b/b? Please be blunt if it would! It's just that I could really do without checking the bike in for surgery at this stage - not least because I'd miss the last few training spins!

In case it makes any difference, my bike has those Hollowtech II outboard bearings - most likely they are the 5600 model (105 grade) though I can't tell without taking them off, and I don't have the special tool to do that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

If it was me, id probably get it sorted. Id ring ahead to see if the bike shop has the parts, so that you can drop it in when they have a free slot and get it back 2 hours later.

I have the outboard bearings on the mtb. They are very quick to replace. The whole job would take no more than 25mins start to finish.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Those Shimano BBs are a doddle to replace. They don't cost too much and the tools aren't that expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Sense prevailed. The first place I went had replacement b/b assemblies in stock and said he'd do it right away. Should have it back by lunch time.

He said that in his experience the external bearing cup design of the Hollowtech II lacks the longevity of the more traditional Octalink design. I was quite surprised to hear that. I thought that being closer to the point of application of force (i.e. the crank arms), external bearings would have less leverage exerted on them?

Advertisement