Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Congrats all round on the visa applications!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

And.... woah on the inappropriate congratulatory clash with Xavi6's post.

Dude, what have you been made redundant from? And any useful golden handshake to sweeten it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And.... woah on the inappropriate congratulatory clash with Xavi6's post.

Dude, what have you been made redundant from? And any useful golden handshake to sweeten it?

Journalism in the construction and mining sector. Losing about 15 staff due to the downturn.

Got 8 weeks pay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just been made redundant. Fan-fucking-tastic :(

aww **** man. sorry to hear :(

what's the odds on getting re-employed again, ya reckon? :/

Haven't a feckin clue. Still trying to let it sink in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Journalism in the construction and mining sector. Losing about 15 staff due to the downturn.

Got 8 weeks pay out of it.

Boo Down with this sort of thing :mad:

Two months with your Aussie Status should see you OK I hope

which is fair. aw man, real bummed to hear that. sucks :(

you able to claim dole over there, or what's the legalities on that?

Hadn't thought about signing on to the scratcher actually. Might look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Ah shit Xavi, sorry to hear it. Same here mate, got word this week that my contract wasn't gonna be renewed in work so am finishing up this month.
    Pretty bleak times all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Sh1t Dude really sorry to hear that. best of luck for the job hunting, if that's the route you go.

On the bright side, you can spend longer perfecting your fantasy AFL team:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sammag wrote: »
    Congrats Watna!

:D I did this too when i got my Perm. Residency here last year. In fact I think I made a pavlova for every dinner party from then on... Double layer, double chocolate pav with cream and raspberries is to die for *drool* :pac::pac::pac:

I will celebrate my Citizenship next Jan with a HUGE batch of Lamingtons. I have never made them (and don't get what the fuss is about - the chocolate is WAY too thin on them) but I think only fitting when one becomes an offical Australian :p

Congrats again!

Yeah, Lamingtons are weird. Also, lolly cake, wtf is that all about?
    what's this about already discussing pavlova?

and

I GOT MY VISA!!!

YAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!

that's me safe and legal to work here for another year, allowed to apply for another year after that, and, most importantly, able to apply for residency now. ^__^

oh, dstar and me ahve a love of pavlova. Dstar, I'll make you an extra one and send it virtually. Crumble, as per my text earlier, congrats I'm so relieved for you. Also, I'll be in ChCh around the 11th - 12th June. Me, you, himself, my friend from work and her bf are having a night out in The Bog (It's my mates favourite place int he world - I was actually there on new years eve and it was pretty cool.) Any other boardsies in Chch - are you up for it? I'll put up a thread closer to the time.
    Hadn't thought about signing on to the scratcher actually. Might look into it.

Aww, sorry to hear that Xavi. That's really really really ****. Thinking of you. At least you have the Dole, that's more than people on visas have (I'm being positive here! :))

Also, I'm a bit tipsy. Went to the Black Harp in Wellington tonight and it was actually pretty cool - I usually avoide irish bars but the black harp has lovely cider on tap.

watna wrote: »
    Yeah, Lamingtons are weird. Also, lolly cake, wtf is that all about?

lollycake is awesome and don't you forget it!
    oh, dstar and me ahve a love of pavlova. Dstar, I'll make you an extra one and send it virtually. Crumble, as per my text earlier, congrats I'm so relieved for you. Also, I'll be in ChCh around the 11th - 12th June. Me, you, himself, my friend from work and her bf are having a night out in The Bog (It's my mates favourite place int he world - I was actually there on new years eve and it was pretty cool.) Any other boardsies in Chch - are you up for it? I'll put up a thread closer to the time.

ooh, i baked my fella a pav for his birthday, and it turned out awesome. i may just attempt one again in honour of your visit to chch.

and ooooh! the bog! that's the first kiwi pub i was ever in, on my first night ever in new zealand. 17th March 07. twas well crowded by the time we got there though, headed on to micky finn's, and that's where i spent the next paddy's day after that, and this paddy's day coming up :D even have our kiwi mates planning their sick day for the 18th :cool:
    Also, I'm a bit tipsy. Went to the Black Harp in Wellington tonight and it was actually pretty cool - I usually avoide irish bars but the black harp has lovely cider on tap.

ha, here, the irish bars are some of the better ones in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Sorry to hear that mate. We are all heading into uncertain times.

Keep your chin up dude and don't let it get you down.
    watna wrote:
    oh, dstar and me ahve a love of pavlova. Dstar, I'll make you an extra one and send it virtually.
    I need the real deal. Better still a real woman who can make one :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Unlucky on Xavi but at least he can get the dole. Having the OZ passport actually means alot nowadays I think!

Congrats Crumble Foo on your visa. Going to have to apply for my residency now in a few weeks. Just trying to get used to working again first after 6 months of being a backpacker. And your right on 2 counts lolly cake rocks and the Irish bars in Christchurch are some of the best around, although for pure entertainment value the local ones in Linwood are a must see, but watch your back!!:):D

jank wrote: »
    Congrats Crumble Foo on your visa. Going to have to apply for my residency now in a few weeks. Just trying to get used to working again first after 6 months of being a backpacker. And your right on 2 counts lolly cake rocks and the Irish bars in Christchurch are some of the best around, although for pure entertainment value the local ones in Linwood are a must see, but watch your back!!:):D

ha, yeah, im gonna have to go back to work now for the first time since 19th december! :eek: an early morning with no promise of surf?! *shudders*

the local ones in linwood? how so? which local ones, will i need to bring a large/burly male with me?

and as for watchin my back, i live in linhood.

Do you? I live on worcester Street off Fitz Ave. Maybe we are neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

What the heck is 'Lolly cake' ?!? In my 3 years here I've never heard of that.

england st, just off linwood ave.

not too far at all. definitely walked within 5mins of your gaf a few times. particularly just after i moved here, trying to get my bearings.

(used to live up near edgeware road, near st alban's park, uprooted last oct/nov).

edit: you wana head out paddy's night? :P

and lollycake IMG_0324.jpg

Rocky road is quite similar.

rockyroad8-770102.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Is Lolly cake a Kiwi thing?

• Advertisement

defo not an irish thing... and defo something all kiwis are shocked ive never heard of...

it's not an ozzie thing too, i take it?

and NO dstar. rocky road has NUTS in it. makes it entirely ruined and pointless.

lollycake has no nuts.

also, do ozzies call 'sweets' 'lollys' too?

and NO dstar. rocky road has NUTS in it. makes it entirely ruined and pointless.

lollycake has no nuts.

also, do ozzies call 'sweets' 'lollys' too?
    The nuts ruin it I reckon.

Yah Aussies call sweeties lollies too. I have long since used the term myself. Sweets just sounds twee or really English for some reason.

but lollies are lollipops. certain terms i can get used to using, others, i stick to stubbornly.

chips are hot, fatty potatoey things.
    crisps, are thin, cold, come in packets, with various flavours.

But when you have kiddies they just stare at you and think you are odd :D

oh god, dont get me started on kiddies.

remember the bit where i work in preschools? :P

i change my accent, speed of speech and words i say (not to mention clothes i wear) when im working. oh man, everything from learning that vests are called 'singlets' or 'polyprops'...

i just can't come to terms with grown adults calling crisps 'chippies'.

i just can't come to terms with grown adults calling crisps 'chippies'.
    Crisps is such a funny word dontcha think?

sounds more acceptable out of an adult's mouth than 'chippies'.

Yea why not. I'm going out alright with some people but dont have a clue where im going. Ill keep you posted. I hear you are going to Mikey Finns!

• Advertisement

haha, sweet... wow, drinking with another irish person on paddy's night... fun concept :D

and yep, it's usually micky finn's, assume it will be this time a guaranteed 3 of us, with a couple of wildcards, but should be a good'n.

Advertisement