Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well in the space of 48 Hours 2 British Soldiers , a delivery driver and a PSNI officer have been killed.

I thought news from home was bad enough without this crap going on, I give it another 48 hours before the UVF and the like kick in.

Don't care what life is like here , no f**king way I am going home to Belfast.:(

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/10/2511855.htm?section=justin

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

I know, it's scary. I was on a ferry yesterday morning and it was on the NZ news in the lounge room, but I couldn't hear the details because it was really noisy around me. All I could see were images of barracks and guns and barbed wire that they kept flashing throughout the report, just like we used to watch every night on the news back in the day. It was such a weird feeling. Sorta hard to believe really.

I know, it's scary. I was on a ferry yesterday morning and it was on the NZ news in the lounge room, but I couldn't hear the details because it was really noisy around me. All I could see were images of barracks and guns and barbed wire that they kept flashing throughout the report, just like we used to watch every night on the news back in the day. It was such a weird feeling. Sorta hard to believe really.

Yeah ecomomy is down the toilet and now this, the old days must not have been so bad as we appear to want to return to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

so so so sad :( i just feel so so saddened, and angry and just... gah! it's so ****ed up :(

hadn't heard about the delivery driver, but saw about the two soldiers on the news, and a mate linked me to the psni officer's death. *sigh*

so ****ed up :(

meanwhile (man,i hate doing the good news thing when we're on a down topic), i just got a job!

the place i had been working was a relieving agency, so the hours were pretty sketchy, but a mate offered me work helping him out with his garden yesterday, wasnt gonna pay a lot, but he knows i need the cash, and i know he needs the help, so it's a pretty cool deal, next thing another mate rings me this morning to tell me that their receptionist has quit, would i be interested. called back relevant person, interview this afternoon.

and i start on thursday! yay!

meanwhile (man,i hate doing the good news thing when we're on a down topic), i just got a job!

and i start on thursday! yay!

Good man , never mind the down thing , we lived with the sh1t before we will again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Good woman , never mind the down thing , we lived with the sh1t before we will again.

fixed

hussey wrote: »
    fixed

Oh bollox , thanks for that

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Good man , never mind the down thing , we lived with the sh1t before we will again.

haha, no worries, im well used to answering to 'man', 'bro' and 'dude' :D

i wasn't even gonna correct you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Went in to get my WHV extended today and got another 6 months of a work permit. Dunno what im gunna be doing after that, might be made permanant or might submit an expression of interest for the skilled migrant visa in the meantime....another few months of breathing room though yay!

What are peoples plans for paddys? Im bringing the other half on a romantic wairarapa weekend away for some vinyard fun so wont be around welly.

Just realised I had missed a couple of pages of this thread - I always go to last page and assumed I was up to date. Duh. Anyway, huge congrats to Watna and Crumble Froo - AWESOME! And really sorry about the redundency Xavi, fingers crossed things will right themselves for you soon. Life is never simple.

As for Paddy's Day - I shall be thinning leaves and using my brand new secateurs to remove rotten bunches of grapes in a freezing vineyard in Blenheim. For the first time in 5 months (apparently) there was snow on the mountains around the area - FREEZING!! Great day to get up at 5.30am to start a new job! But hey, it's money. And seeing as there's actually nothing to do in the evenings here to spend my money on, I might actually end up saving a bit. If I don't have to use the money for surgery to fix my frost bitten fingers that is.

I don't mind missing Paddy's at all. It always feels a bit indulgent to me, kinda glorifying the whole drinking ourselves into a stupor thing. Don't mind drinking myself into a stupor, but not on the one day when the world turns it's eye on us. A customer in Welly asked me what my plans were for the day, and I knew she expected me to say - get totally pissed and wear green stuff, and I just got annoyed for no good reason, and started launching into a whole - oh I don't agree with the day, drinking for the sake of drinking, it's demeaning to our race, seen as a nation of drunkards etc etc (very OTT, but I was on a roll) and she stared at me and then my boss stared at me and I was encouraged to go for a 5 minute break to smoke myself back into good humour and impeccable customer service.

She did not leave a tip.

• Advertisement

haha! ^

it's a combination of reasons to drink for us... paddy's day, which, with halloween, has always been my favourite holiday (i wont be wearing green, but ill be wearing a badge ive had for as long as i can remember), it's the third year anniversary of me and my fella meeting in person, having my 21st celebrations then, a vague hint of my fella's 40th celebrations, and, of course... the head shave.

so i shall be drinking. probably in excess. although there have been hints that that may not be necessary, but ill see how the night goes.

a slight possibility of meeting up with jank at some point as well, although, now that i think of it, i have no idea why we'd do it specifically then when we live within walking distance of each other, but anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Not in to Paddy's day myself. Don't think I'll do much but I know people in work will expect me to go aout nd get drunk. Might have to wear green for the day just to satidy them or I might hide away. I've never been in to it, even at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

jesus so theres a lot of us out of the job now? i finished last friday. they jsut didnt have the budget to extend my contract. i gto an extra week out of them at least, but back on the job hunt again now! pain in the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I assume it's still no hassle getting a job fruit-picking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

depends on where you are. it might be a bit of a problem in some parts of victoria but not 100% sure

ooh, ive got a one month contract. means im totally gonna have homework for the next month to get myself up to scratch to get it renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Irony of ironies. Pissing down in Melbourne for the Sound Relief concert. Where was the freakin' rain when we needed it?

God DAMN it's cold today. It's giving a high of 20 degrees here in Blenheim for today but so far it doesn't feel anything like this. Tonight it's gonna reach a low of 1 degree. Seriously. 1 degree. I foresee being surrounded by a load of spluttering and sneezing in the next few days.....
    I mean, I knew it wasn't going to exactly be tropical here during the winter but ONE DEGREE!!! Gah. What's it like in the rest of NZ? I'm not even going to ask about Oz cos I'll just get jealous if anyone mentions that they're wearing shorts while I'm wearing 37 layers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

dont be mistaken about Oz...during winter it gets that cold here too, froze my ass off in Perth last year...gets down to 0C there and is damn cold as soon as the sun goes down...same with Sydney and Melbo i'd guess...only places alot further north will stay warm in winter

God DAMN it's cold today. It's giving a high of 20 degrees here in Blenheim for today but so far it doesn't feel anything like this. Tonight it's gonna reach a low of 1 degree. Seriously. 1 degree. I foresee being surrounded by a load of spluttering and sneezing in the next few days.....
    I mean, I knew it wasn't going to exactly be tropical here during the winter but ONE DEGREE!!! Gah. What's it like in the rest of NZ? I'm not even going to ask about Oz cos I'll just get jealous if anyone mentions that they're wearing shorts while I'm wearing 37 layers.

Freezing here too. I'm in my winter coat and tights etc.

i forgot how cold and windy it can get in Wellington - winter's here people! It doesn't get as cold as at home but it is chilly in winter and especially in Wellington, the southern winds are a real problem.

• Advertisement

Yep mad cold today. The new hospital is nice and cosy warm though!

I dont think winters here yet....last year there were nice days 15-20 degrees all the way up until May and June, its just a cold front with a nasty southerly, it will blow over and be back up to 19/20 during the week.

lemon are you gunna be around Blenheim for the Omaka airshow? Gunna down for that and make a day of it I think.

When's the airshow on? That sounds deadly, I'll defo be around for a few months anyway. I've pretty much decided to stick around Blenheim for the next while. There's plenty of work, and I work evenings as a night manager in a pretty cosy hostel for free rent, laundry, internet etc, so I'm happy out here at the mo. Hopefully this cold front will pass fairly soon. A German girl checked in on Saturday with a big sniffley head on her, and as I swiped her EFTPOS card I could feel her cold & flu germs (hah) swimming up my nose. Thus I woke this morning with a bunged up nose, dry tickly throat and my head firmly planted up my own arse. Damn Germans!!

Blenheim isn't half as bad as Wellington for mental weather though. I found Welly far more changeable and the wind cuts through you. Here you do get different weather every day, but it sorta stays the same for the day. It's more like Monday - cloud, Tuesday - sun, Wednesday - rain, Thursday - sun, Friday - cloud. In Welly you get that mixture all in one day. But I'm still going to invest in a hot water bottle. I was contemplating picking up a boyfriend somewhere purely to keep me warm at night, but really, a hot water bottle is far more economical and easier to transport between hostels.

Lol. Boyfriends talk back though!

http://www.classicfighters.co.nz/ is the airshow, mostly old WWI and II aircraft but its a good day out (or two) and theres lots to see and do. Even if you're not an airplane nerd like me you'll probably enjoy it!

ive finally accepted the fact that it's no longer summer and i can stop wearing my springsuit and start wearing my full length wetsuit, and invest in booties.

also, got my first paycheck today since december! wooooooo!

When's the airshow on? That sounds deadly, I'll defo be around for a few months anyway. I've pretty much decided to stick around Blenheim for the next while. There's plenty of work, and I work evenings as a night manager in a pretty cosy hostel for free rent, laundry, internet etc, so I'm happy out here at the mo. Hopefully this cold front will pass fairly soon. A German girl checked in on Saturday with a big sniffley head on her, and as I swiped her EFTPOS card I could feel her cold & flu germs (hah) swimming up my nose. Thus I woke this morning with a bunged up nose, dry tickly throat and my head firmly planted up my own arse. Damn Germans!!

Blenheim isn't half as bad as Wellington for mental weather though. I found Welly far more changeable and the wind cuts through you. Here you do get different weather every day, but it sorta stays the same for the day. It's more like Monday - cloud, Tuesday - sun, Wednesday - rain, Thursday - sun, Friday - cloud. In Welly you get that mixture all in one day. But I'm still going to invest in a hot water bottle. I was contemplating picking up a boyfriend somewhere purely to keep me warm at night, but really, a hot water bottle is far more economical and easier to transport between hostels.

Pfft, I have a very cuddly bf and I still use a hot water bottle and electric blanket! Our landlords are putting a heat pump in for us soon. I almost died with happiness when they told us. No hiding in the bedroom all evening because we can't heat the living room for us!

I really liked Blenheim when we were there. It's near the north island too so it's easy to get over to Welly and beyond etc.
    ive finally accepted the fact that it's no longer summer and i can stop wearing my springsuit and start wearing my full length wetsuit, and invest in booties.

also, got my first paycheck today since december! wooooooo!

Yay for paycheck! You should check whether you are owed any tax. I bet you'll get a rebate. You get $114 back just for earning under $38,000 in a year which is usually the case if you haven't worked all year (I onmly worked for 8 months in this tax year so go this rebate). You can do it online on the IRD website. According to the website they owe my $700. (possibly more according to the accountant at work)- once April 1st hits I'm requesting the refund. I might start a thread on it actually to give people a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

So ladies quick question seen as the topic of cold weather has come up...
    I'm heading over to NZ end of may how cold will it be?
    Just curious so I know what to pack!:p

here's my weather forecast for the week...
    http://www.metservice.co.nz/public/localWeather/christchurch.html

mostly 17s and 19s tbh. :pac:

watna wrote: »
    Yay for paycheck! You should check whether you are owed any tax. I bet you'll get a rebate. You get $114 back just for earning under $38,000 in a year which is usually the case if you haven't worked all year (I onmly worked for 8 months in this tax year so go this rebate). You can do it online on the IRD website. According to the website they owe my $700. (possibly more according to the accountant at work)- once April 1st hits I'm requesting the refund. I might start a thread on it actually to give people a heads up.

you may just be my favourite person in the universe right now.

shall check out tonight.

o_O

can you give me any hint as to which part of the website?! that thing gives me the fear almost as bad as the immigration website!

• Advertisement

o_O

can you give me any hint as to which part of the website?! that thing gives me the fear almost as bad as the immigration website!

Just started a thread on it. The calculator for the tax year just finishing is not out yet but I've posted a link to the last one so you can get a rough idea. The tax wasn't too different between the two years.

Advertisement