Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Right lads we are going for job number 3 in Oz interview was today, need as much luck as you can send.

Cant really explain it but its a good few dollars more.

Hope it gets me off this casual staff business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Best of luck to you my man. I hope it turns up good for you.

Thanks for that , they called about an hour after my post they have put together an Offer for me and I have to go review it tonight.

The hourly rate looks ok so it should be sorted thanks folks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Thanks for that , they called about an hour after my post they have put together an Offer for me and I have to go review it tonight.

The hourly rate looks ok so it should be sorted thanks folks. :)

Good stuff - what area do you work in, out of curiosity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Cant really explain it but its a good few dollars more.

Did you get a job as a stripper?

• Advertisement

Yes I work as a stripper :D my stage name is Arnold the Irish poleless Pole vault champion of the 6 counties.

Nope like I said earlier I do a lot of security related work. If anyone is on a PR visa and wants to get into it let me know. I can go into the licensing requirements. A PR visa is a must.

90% of the jobs are muck but you will never be completely out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Well done Z man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well done Zambia - really pleased for you! I know stripping can be hard to get in to*

You should celebrate tonight. :)

* only messing mr security man!

Not as hard as getting out of the mankin.....

I certainly will if I was not working...........f**king recession

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Congrats mate.

Got a bit of luck on the job front myself. Had a very positive phone interview with Bank West and am going in to them early next week for a face to face chat. They seem pretty keen. Customer service role and decent salary so not too bad at all.

• Advertisement

seems like a few regulars are getting a bit of luck!

Today I was told there was plenty of work until around may 2010!
    all major projects have been approved! woo hoo

which means payrise for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Congrats mate.

Got a bit of luck on the job front myself. Had a very positive phone interview with Bank West and am going in to them early next week for a face to face chat. They seem pretty keen. Customer service role and decent salary so not too bad at all.

Good work, good luck in the interview.

Seems like things won't get quite as bad here as back home....fingers crossed. I still have a job, which I wouldn't have in Ireland!

Less of the good news folks or everyone will come over.....

Congrats all round;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/2289067/Govt-set-to-restrict-migrants

starting to detect a bit of a 'they took err jaabs' kinda attitude with a few people... boss mentioned the above article to me today and said that whatever happened, she'd fight to keep me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Yep, saw that story about the filipino immigrants last night on the news alright. I remember my first night out in Auckland, myself and an Irish fella went for a few drinks and ended up on K road (as you do). We asked the bouncer outside some bar where was the best place to go, and he replied "Well if you don't want to come in here, you can **** back off home to your own country, ****ing paddies!" I wasn't entirely expecting that. And when I went out here in Blenheim on Saturday night (yes I splurged and bought a beer at a bar), the german guys I was with had a lot of comments made to them, ranging from "cut your hair hippy" to "can't understand a f*ckin' word you're saying mate, f*ckin' foreigners!" from a load of drunk kiwis. Dunno if it's the same thing, but have definitely noticed a slight attitude here, (mainly when drink is involved) whether it's due to the job situation or something else, I can't say. In saying that, the majority of the time everyone's been very welcoming, and hopefully it'll stay that way. It's always the dickhead minority that leave a bitter taste in your mouth though. Just like in any country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Yep, saw that story about the filipino immigrants last night on the news alright. I remember my first night out in Auckland, myself and an Irish fella went for a few drinks and ended up on K road (as you do). We asked the bouncer outside some bar where was the best place to go, and he replied "Well if you don't want to come in here, you can **** back off home to your own country, ****ing paddies!" I wasn't entirely expecting that. And when I went out here in Blenheim on Saturday night (yes I splurged and bought a beer at a bar), the german guys I was with had a lot of comments made to them, ranging from "cut your hair hippy" to "can't understand a f*ckin' word you're saying mate, f*ckin' foreigners!" from a load of drunk kiwis. Dunno if it's the same thing, but have definitely noticed a slight attitude here, (mainly when drink is involved) whether it's due to the job situation or something else, I can't say. In saying that, the majority of the time everyone's been very welcoming, and hopefully it'll stay that way. It's always the dickhead minority that leave a bitter taste in your mouth though. Just like in any country.

as someone who has been to new zealand and for the most part love the place , i find it ironic a kiwi telling anyone they dont understand what they are saying , newzealanders murder the english language , horrible accent

I actually had a weitd experience regarding that story about the Filipino workers.

I was in the big kitchen at work and a girl was reading that story. There was me and one other guy (a kiwi) there and she started telling us how bad she thought the story was and how jobs should always be given to kiwis first. She also said foreigners should be made redundant before kiwis - obviously completely forgetting that I am a foreigner. She wanted me to agree with her and was looking expectently at me. I honestly didn't know what she wanted me to say, that yeah, if they're redundancies (which ironically we have had a few months ago) that I should be fired before everyone else because I'm not from New Zealand? The other guy looked a bit uncomfortable (as did I) and said nobody should automatically get jobs over other people - it should be on your worth to the company - then he promptly changed the subject

What I found weird is she expected I would just agree with her - without thinking that I was an immigrant and was taking a job a kiwi could do. It was just ingrained in her that that was right, when it's not necessarily true. I understand cutting back on work permits or cutting immigration figures but it can never be as black and white as one person is forign, one is a kiwi so give the kiwi a job.

It's a bit mad when you think that all kiwis are technically immigrants.

the people i've dealt with, and met, i have had nothing but positive experiences with, as far as the immigrant thing goes...

i think things would be a lot different for me if i wasn't white. particularly if i was asian. im sure you heard it on the news a few months back, i think around the elections, one of those fuckwit right wing parties (can't remember hte name), but triggered another 'asian invasion' debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

watna wrote: »
    I actually had a weitd experience regarding that story about the Filipino workers.

I was in the big kitchen at work and a girl was reading that story. There was me and one other guy (a kiwi) there and she started telling us how bad she thought the story was and how jobs should always be given to kiwis first. She also said foreigners should be made redundant before kiwis - obviously completely forgetting that I am a foreigner. She wanted me to agree with her and was looking expectently at me. I honestly didn't know what she wanted me to say, that yeah, if they're redundancies (which ironically we have had a few months ago) that I should be fired before everyone else because I'm not from New Zealand? The other guy looked a bit uncomfortable (as did I) and said nobody should automatically get jobs over other people - it should be on your worth to the company - then he promptly changed the subject

What I found weird is she expected I would just agree with her - without thinking that I was an immigrant and was taking a job a kiwi could do. It was just ingrained in her that that was right, when it's not necessarily true. I understand cutting back on work permits or cutting immigration figures but it can never be as black and white as one person is forign, one is a kiwi so give the kiwi a job.

It's a bit mad when you think that all kiwis are technically immigrants.

I can completely understand your sentiments... I guess it's like this the world over during this recession. I know I'm not looking forward to the comments I'll receive for "stealing" work off Irish nurses when I arrive in a months time.

ooh, watna, bad news! looks like i get to cancel my trip to the north island!

working in the hep c clinic/needle exchange, found out early that the south island tattoo exhibition's going ahead next feb... gonna email the artist i want in new plymouth and book myself in for while he's in chch. :D

• Advertisement

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnd...

i've been made permanant staff at my job.

woopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoop!!!

I've been made a tech lead! and a nice pay rise to boot :D

i love how job and visa stuff seems to happen simultaneously with us on this board :P congrats hussey!

speaking of... im still intending on getting round to sending my residency application out... >_>

I also had good news today - but not job related. Our landlords gave us permission to get a cat! We asked them before a few months ago and they hummed and hahed and kind of said no. We've decided we're staying in NZ longer now (bf got a scholarship to do a PhD) so I've re-thinking the cat thing. Finally plucked up the courage to ask again and they said yes!

Went out and bought some cat paraphanalia tonight and will get a kitten over the weekend (I wanted an older cat but landlords want ud to get a kitten so it won't be territorial and fight with their cat).

I am ridiculously excited by this. I'm an extreme cat person. I can't stop smiling!

Congrats Crumble and Hussey - I love to hear about people doing well!

ooh, awesome!

my mate (the one with 3 kids, 7 cats and a dog) recently got a new kitten... less than 6 weeks old when they got her (emergency adoption type thing), but aww man. make me want to have a kitten. that thing is so much fun! just as long as i have someone to pawn it off to once it turns into a cat....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm an extreme cat person.

simpsons_CrazyCatLady.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I HATE cats with a passion. I'd love to get a dog but we aren't allowed in the apartment complex, and it wouldn't be fair on the animal to be in such a small space.

Congrats on the good job news folks.

keane2097 wrote: »
    simpsons_CrazyCatLady.gif

:pac:

Seriously - that's me. I'm not even going to deny it. :D

We got a 3 month old kitten we called Murdoch (from the A Team). He's gorgeous!

hehe, he looks startled. but very cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

We got a 3 month old kitten we called Murdoch (from the A Team). He's gorgeous!

Awww... he is too cute! I love tuxedo cats. :)

Advertisement